Silent (er) footswitches

gdgross

Experienced
FYI in case anyone encounters something similar: I got some pushback from one of my church gigs that my tapping on the tempo footswitch was loud and distracting. Personally, it was a bit of a WTF!?! moment, but whatever. In their defense, it is suuuper reverberant room.

Ordered some of these rubber o-rings from Amazon and put them just below the cap on all of the FM9 footswitches: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F32VRGG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I can still get noise from them when I stomp vigorously, but the metal hitting metal at the bottom of the switch travel is much improved. Most of the noise now is from the travel of the switch, ie, the metal shaft scraping on the collar.

Just an idea for anyone interested in a slightly quieter footswitch!

That is why i always have an Boss FS added as external footswitch, they are way more silent in my experience and it also "spares" the onboard switches.
Btw, I once had a Kemper Stage, that thing was like a hall reverb when you tapped the tempo 😂
(Also make sure you are not tapping close to a mic stand.)

That is why i always have an Boss FS added as external footswitch, they are way more silent in my experience and it also "spares" the onboard switches.
Btw, I once had a Kemper Stage, that thing was like a hall reverb when you tapped the tempo 😂
(Also make sure you are not tapping close to a mic stand.)
Agree, but this goes against my other goal of having the smallest pedalboard possible 🙃

Use a Normally-Closed momentary switch for your tap tempo instead of a Normally-Open. You don't have to press them all the way down to get them to switch, so it is possible to tap your tempo in with careful technique and not go "CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK" in your echoey venue. The switch ports are able to be configured for either type - NO or NC....

The downside is that only the Barefoot Buttons "Big Bore" toppers fit them, as the switch tip is 11mm....

Last edited:
FYI in case anyone encounters something similar: I got some pushback from one of my church gigs that my tapping on the tempo footswitch was loud and distracting. Personally, it was a bit of a WTF!?! moment, but whatever. In their defense, it is suuuper reverberant room.

Ordered some of these rubber o-rings from Amazon and put them just below the cap on all of the FM9 footswitches: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F32VRGG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I can still get noise from them when I stomp vigorously, but the metal hitting metal at the bottom of the switch travel is much improved. Most of the noise now is from the travel of the switch, ie, the metal shaft scraping on the collar.

Just an idea for anyone interested in a slightly quieter footswitch!
a little photo?

At my Church gig, I usually keep my unit on the tempo screen (hit the tempo button) and use the value knob to key in the tempo so my delays are in time. Silent for the Church as well.

Once the band is playing, the tap tempo will be used in case the band picks up or drops tempo bpm.

Back
Top Bottom