Side Project – The Aging of a Les Paul

///The “victim” is a 2021 Les Paul Standard (which started life as a Slash Signature Model)///

The "victim", you've got that right ;)

Last edited:
The “victim” is a 2021 Les Paul Standard (which started life as a Slash Signature Model). I previously removed the Slash Logo on the back of the headstock, along with the entire finish on the back of the neck. Which, after having played the guitar a lot since the finish was removed. I can honestly say I LOVE the feel of the raw wood/tru oil finish!

So anyway, this will be a slow moving thread.

On a side note, I installed a set of aged gold strap buttons today, subtle, almost unnoticeable. I like them. Off to a good start, lol.

I have been studying stuff I find on the internet on aging a Les Paul. As controversial as this type of thing may be, I want to do a good job. I do not want to overdo it. I'll take my sweet ass time!

I have no pictures today. I just wanted to start this thread. Thanks for looking!

John
A friend of mine, who built my Gecko Tele, did a Greenie LP, in excruciating detail. Guy that bought it showed it to Peter Greene after he got it. Apparently, PG said, "It wasn't that bad when he [Gary] got it." or something to that effect....

I cleared out a suitable container for the parts. I have the Les Paul laid out on the operating table ready for dissection. I plan to take it all apart tonight, little by little. Not only that, but I have a serious bout of insomnia lately. This is a great project for a sleepless night. Sit in my room, listen to music, work on a guitar – time well spent!

View attachment 92869

View attachment 92870
Pretty to start with!

I'm probably the only person who will even see this guitar. I am not doing this to look cool or like I am a seasoned player, lol. I'm doing it for me. I personally think it will look cool AF. It may even inspire me to play it even more than I already do. It's a great sounding, playing Les Paul. Me thinks!
Not sure Rick did it for reasons any different from yours. The guy that bought it from him just happened to know PG....

The next step is to do the dents, scratches, and finish wear. At the moment, thinking, I'm going to do at least one good hit on the front of the body with a cable's end plug. I did that once on an LP Traditional Pro – broke my heart. Now I’m going to do it on purpose!

I plan to do some sanding on the front top to simulate the area of distress caused by the forearm while strumming or picking. I'll remove that diamond headstock emblem sticker. I plan to put a gold Les Paul script there – like what came on this guitar.

I'll do damage to the edges of the headstock mustache corners – that surely happens over time.

Some buckle rash on the back, some wear around the knobs.

Right now, I'm thinking that's as far as I want to go.

BBL, with pictures, when all the above-mentioned work is complete.
MEME2021-12-15-09-31-36.jpg

If you want to craze the lacquer you need a hair dryer and a can of compressed air . The type you use to clean out computers.
You heat up the finish in sections and then spray the propellent directly on to the hot finish. The liquid is lower than freezing point of water and the instant contraction crazes the lacquer. This is how most custom shops do it. DON'T use a heat gun you will burn the finish off.
The reason I say work from pictures and study then is to work out exactly where and how most finish damage occurs . The last thing you want is for this to end up looking like a Nash.:tearsofjoy:

Ty!

Installed a scratch!

View attachment 92930
You're killing me! :tearsofjoy: I told myself I wasn't gonna watch this thread, but like a car crash, it's hard not to look.
Back in high school I let a buddy use my brand new LP Custom Silverburst as his backup, and he put buckle rash on the back, so I'm a little sensitive. But yes, it's certainly yours to do with as you please! Here's hoping it turns out better than you expect. 👍

Back
Top Bottom