Side by side Verve 12MA vs. QSC K12 comparison

iaresee said:
Toneseeker, Stratoblaster -- not to derail the thread, but did either of you try Yorkville N550P, N55P or N520P's with the Axe-Fx? L&M has used N550P for roughly half the price of a new 8ma.
I tried one of the NX series about a year and a half ago (NX55P??? I don't remember) and it was very bright. I decided to go a different direction.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Terry.

FBT 12ma --vs-- QSC K12
90° --vs-- 75° coverage
300+100W of Class G --vs-- 500+500W of Class D amplifier

What's the difference in headroom/quality between 400W of Class G and 1000W of D? Some people have said one should avoid most Class D amps because most aren't designed good and/or it's hard to design a good Class D amp. So what's the truth? Of course if it sounds good then it sounds good.

knoll said:
FBT 12ma --vs-- QSC K12
90° --vs-- 75° coverage
300+100W of Class G --vs-- 500+500W of Class D amplifier

What's the difference in headroom/quality between 400W of Class G and 1000W of D? Some people have said one should avoid most Class D amps because most aren't designed good and/or it's hard to design a good Class D amp. So what's the truth? Of course if it sounds good then it sounds good.
I was curious so I went looking in Wikipedia. . . .

Class G amplifiers (which use "rail switching" to decrease power consumption and increase efficiency) are more efficient than class AB amplifiers. The class G amplifier has several power rails at different voltages, and switches between rails as the signal output approaches each. Thus the amplifier increases efficiency by reducing the wasted power at the output transistors. Class G amplifiers can be used to combine the positives of both the Class AB and the Class D amplifiers in audio applications. It can be used to retain the high efficiency of Class D (while eliminating RF radiation) and the good music quality available with Class AB.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ClassG.GIF

Sorry, but I have no knowledge as to how effectively the design goals of Class G are realized in practical use nor specifically in the FBT products. I do however, hope the information adds some perspective.

Terry.

GuitarDojo said:
-<MACHINE>- said:
GuitarDojo said:
Dang. I was just speaking to him about one.
Bam....gone!!

Thats what you get for lagging on that other thing... :cool:
Ohhhh its not laggin now bro. Call you tomorrow. :shock:
Looks at calender...
think.gif
...hmmm... :cool:

iaresee said:
Toneseeker, Stratoblaster -- not to derail the thread, but did either of you try Yorkville N550P, N55P or N520P's with the Axe-Fx? L&M has used N550P for roughly half the price of a new 8ma. I was going to rent one for a week to give it a work out. Heavier and bigger than an 8ma but they get good reviews from some friends I have in live sound reinforcement. Built like tanks.

I might try a Yorkville NX55P since there are no more QSC K10's or K12's in North America available until mid-August. I'd like to wait for the new stock but I'm wanting to get running live with the Ultra before then...

Thanks for your comments iaresee...

Tone Seeker said:
Stratoblaster said:
I'm in the same boat Tone Seeker; the local Canadian FBT dealer told me they would just order the 12ma from the US anyway and their availability is a problem.

I was also sitting on the fence with regards to the K10 vs the K12, but I've not been able to find a comparison of those two for suitability with the Axe-FX so I opted for the K12 (it will definitely do the job from what I've been reading here and elsewhere) as I really need to get going to get my Ultra gig-ready for some upcoming shows ASAP.
I don't need a ton of power, and even the K8 would be more than enough. Small / light is important to me though (within reason). However, the K8 will not sit on stage as a wedge, so I "moved up" to the K10. I physically compared the K8 and K10, and found the K10 still very manageable (small / light). IMO, a 10" solution is a nice blend of the best of both 8" and 12" solutions. I think you'll be really happy with the K12.

Where are you, btw, and who is you local FBT dealer? I'm in Regina.

Terry.

Cool...great info Tone Seeker. Now if I could only find an available K12 to buy...

...picked up a K12 today at the Guitar Center in La Mesa, CA...it sounds as good/better than my HPR122i...plus it's much lighter :lol:

...by the way, I put my HPR122i up for sale for sale ($400 plus half shipping costs) in the emporium...

John Alexander said:
...picked up a K12 today at the Guitar Center in La Mesa, CA...it sounds as good/better than my HPR122i...plus it's much lighter :lol:

...by the way, I put my HPR122i up for sale for sale ($400 plus half shipping costs) in the emporium...

well is it as good as or better? where are the pages of details and side by side comparisons?

fatoni said:
John Alexander said:

well is it as good as or better? where are the pages of details and side by side comparisons?

...it's lighter :lol:

that makes sense. im just kinda weirded out by any non-wood enclosure. maybe i shouldnt be but thinking about guitars and not woods is strange

Can somebody compare the HPR122i and the K12

I have a HPR122i but have been curious as to the tonal difference between them.

Back
Top Bottom