Showing up to gigs that expect you to use a backline with the AxeFx...

BillE said:
Would a typical band mix be sent to me from the board via something like an aux out with a 1/4" cable though? And might I have trouble with this signal if it has to travel some distance?

You'll have to bear with me here, I'm on a learning curve with this stuff :) First gig coming up with the Axe and IEMs in a couple of weeks and I want to cover all my bases, plus anything that might come up in future. In fact the place we're playing is small but I have no idea what they might be able to give me.

If you send a signal over an unbalanced line for longer than about ten feet, you will experience a noticeable level of signal degradation. Use balanced lines for all long cable runs!

Close. The XLR outputs are line level as well (+4dB). The DI gives the sound engineer a Mic level signal for FOH...that way the sound engineer can use a regular Mic Pre for your Axe. If the XLR outs were Mic level, there wouldn't be a need for the DI at all.

The Axe-FX's XLR out are Line-out level. Pretty hot. Problem is that many cheaper and older mixing boards can't handle that kind of level into the XLR (mic) input.
So you can take the jack outputs (6dB lower level than the XLRs and unbalanced) and stick them into a DI that transforms it to balanced low impedance signal. Padswitches on the DI can lower the level even more to get it to where the mixing board can swallow it.

Ok so As I look at what you both said together both the xlr and 1/4 outs are line level but the xlr is hotter?

Also to avoid signal loss I should use a shot cable 10 feet or less out to a DI that can inturn run long cable lengths as need to the snake right?

Ok so As I look at what you both said together both the xlr and 1/4 outs are line level but the xlr is hotter?
The difference is that the XLR outs are balanced, the 1/4 outs are not. Balanced signals use a differential pair: the signal is sent as is on one wire, and inverted on the second. At the destination the inverted signal is reinverted (reverted?) and the two are added together, giving the 6 dB boost. Any signal that is common to both sides, such as noise picked up by the cable, is cancelled out in the process. The 1/4 outs are just one-half of the balanced outs.

brokenvail said:
Also to avoid signal loss I should use a shot cable 10 feet or less out to a DI that can inturn run long cable lengths as need to the snake right?
With high impedance sources you need to keep the cable length short to avoid filtering out the highs due to the capacitance of the cable. With line level, low impedance unbalanced sources, the issue is noise, and with properly terminated and shielded cable you should be able to go much longer than 10 feet without problems.

Speaking of buying good the first time, Is it really worth the $100 extra for the Jensen transformer Radial JDI DI boxes over their Pro series?

Speaking of buying good the first time, Is it really worth the $100 extra for the Jensen transformer Radial JDI DI boxes over their Pro series?

I don't think you'll have any issues with the ProDI if you're strapped for cash. It's still what I would consider a "good" if not "great" DI.

I have the Countryman Type 85 Active DI, the Radial Passive Stereo Pro DI (without Jensens), and the Aguilar DB900 Tube DI.

The Radial and the Countryman have comparable audio quality but the Radial has a kitchen sink worth of I/O and optional features. The Radial really shines on being able to handle just about any situation, 1/4, RCA, XLR male, XLR female, ground lift, pad, etc.

The Aguilar is a one trick pony, but its a really good trick :) It has, among other things, a really high input impedance, that shines on passive vintage bass guitars or piezo pickups of all kinds.

Richard

erm, bumping my old question. What's the difference between the active/passive DIs aside from power? Does it effect the tone/signal strength/how long you can run a cable?

The Radial and the Countryman have comparable audio quality but the Radial has a kitchen sink worth of I/O and optional features. The Radial really shines on being able to handle just about any situation, 1/4, RCA, XLR male, XLR female, ground lift, pad, etc.

Richard

It doesn't look like their pro series has those features anymore. Their stereo JDI module has the XLR line input option. I want this feature but would've rather bought 2 mono DI's than one big stereo one just so I could use one for another purpose if needed.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.co...g-JDI-Duplex-mk4-Stereo-Direct-Box?sku=153906

I use the Radial stereo DI as two mono DI's all the time, the caveat being the two DI's are co-located :) But the connectors and switches etc. are all duplicated, it's just two mono DI's in one case.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom