Show your Taylor

I have multiple Taylors, and I love them. I have a Baby, a Big Baby (both of which I use for traveling and camping, and I don't have photos of either), and the following.

My 2009 Taylor K16se is my "Brass Ring" guitar, as I reached for the brass ring when I ordered it. I adore this guitar.20240321_093152.jpg
20240321_093213.jpg

I also have my newest guitar, a T5z Classic Koa, which I bought for acoustic performance to save wear and tear on the K16ce moving forward. This thing is an excellent live performance machine.

20240321_092640.jpg

2002 Taylor 414ce LTD​

af8DKUx.jpg

zA5rO7k.jpg

Some really great looking guitars everyone! For those of you with the T5Zs, I've read online that they can be a bit neck heavy. Does anyone here have that issue? I've been awfully close to pulling the trigger on one the last couple of days, but that possibility is making me hesitate as I truly hate neck dive.

A couple of shots of my 2014 814ce First Edition. Love the guitar, hate the expression system (hence the pickup). IMG_4257.jpgIMG_4254.jpg

My T5Z is slightly neck heavy. It’s not noticeable at all with a suede strap but with a nylon strap the headstock will drift down. I often play my guitar without a strap and don’t notice the neck dive as it’s very minor.

Wow guys, this discussion is raising my GAS for a Taylor guitar. In the $4/6K range, what do you think is the best model, except for the fact that an acoustic must be tested before purchasing it?

Wow guys, this discussion is raising my GAS for a Taylor guitar. In the $4/6K range, what do you think is the best model, except for the fact that an acoustic must be tested before purchasing it?

You’re going to get a wide variety of answers for this. It really depends on what you’re looking for and whether you use a pick or fingers. Also, if you are looking for a Martin sound, you aren’t going to find it in a Taylor.
That said, the 814CE Builders Edition is the model that fit me best. I use both fingers and a pick. It’s sound works well when I sing and isn’t boomy. Being a Taylor, it’s super easy to play and I love the arm bevel.

I went to Sweetwater to play some Taylors last year. I already have 3 but wanted a new one. I played the 814CE Builders Edition then played the 914 and went with that one after one chord. The 814 was mellow in comparison. I played those same two models at a Guitar Center the week before with the same results so they must be pretty consistent. Here it is with my 20th anniversary model.
IMG_3436.jpeg

Some really great looking guitars everyone! For those of you with the T5Zs, I've read online that they can be a bit neck heavy. Does anyone here have that issue? I've been awfully close to pulling the trigger on one the last couple of days, but that possibility is making me hesitate as I truly hate neck dive.

A couple of shots of my 2014 814ce First Edition. Love the guitar, hate the expression system (hence the pickup). View attachment 137445View attachment 137447

The T5z’s are neck heavy but I didn’t have a problem with it. I went through 2 of those. Loved the 1st one but it was the satin finished standard. I hate satin finishes. Not the look that’s fine. It’s the shiny spots that develop that I don’t like. So I picked up a glossy finished model and sold the 1st one. The 2nd one didn’t sound as good as the 1st so I sold it. They’re great guitars but those tiny humbuckers just can’t get the tone that a full sized pickup can. Still, I might pick up another one. Taylor build quality is top notch. I have a 714CE that is very nice.

My T5Z is slightly neck heavy. It’s not noticeable at all with a suede strap but with a nylon strap the headstock will drift down. I often play my guitar without a strap and don’t notice the neck dive as it’s very minor.
That pretty much coincides with what I've seen online. I mostly use a suede strap anyway so perhaps it's something that wouldn't be a big deal. Thanks!
The T5z’s are neck heavy but I didn’t have a problem with it. I went through 2 of those. Loved the 1st one but it was the satin finished standard. I hate satin finishes. Not the look that’s fine. It’s the shiny spots that develop that I don’t like. So I picked up a glossy finished model and sold the 1st one. The 2nd one didn’t sound as good as the 1st so I sold it. They’re great guitars but those tiny humbuckers just can’t get the tone that a full sized pickup can. Still, I might pick up another one. Taylor build quality is top notch. I have a 714CE that is very nice.

I agree about the build quality for sure. Every Taylor I've ever played has been great. Unfortunately nobody around me has a T5z in stock. I was actually leaning more towards the satin version myself. Though I've read the pro and custom models have some other benefits (the arm bevel and control knobs placement mainly), the classic satin versions are speaking to me aesthetically (and monetarily!). Not too worried about the humbucker sounds related to a full sized pickup. I would primarily use it as an acoustic with the ability to add a little electric flavor here and there, just so I don't have to bring out the 814 too often. Thanks for the insight!

Back
Top Bottom