Show your Schecter guitar!

Great guitar, doesn't feel like a Fender at all though but more a like a modernized Strat.
Pickups have quite a lot of personality, I think you either love them or hate them (they are a bit scooped).
The only thing I didn't really like about it was the tremolo.

If that's your jam go on, you won't regret buying it.
I've been looking for a SSS but not a Strat. Something that has a modern take but still can pull off a strat sound. They are inexpensive enough if I need to I can mod a few things as you have and maybe get where I need to be. I also like the input jack on the side of the body.

No pic because I left it at the studio this week, but I really dig my Hellcat VI.
Interesting guitar.
How did that working work exactly with the 5 way and 3 slide switches?
Specs I've seen call them "on-off coil split switches", which confuses me.
  • Does it really have on-offs and the 5 way?
  • Unless they're 3 position, the sliders aren't doing both of-off and coil split.

Specs I've seen call them "on-off coil split switches", which confuses me.
  • Does it really have on-offs and the 5 way?
  • Unless they're 3 position, the sliders aren't doing both of-off and coil split.

They're not really on-off switches, just coil splits. The split coil sound is both much louder and much noisier than the humbucking sound, so I very rarely use it. Also, that middle pickup isn't reverse wound, so no noise cancelling at all in single-coil mode.

Here's my Sun Valley Super Shredder when I got it:

D17F907B-EAFA-424B-8EDF-795A909ADE82.jpeg

And here it is sometime later with dual concentrics (.015 neck tone cap, .010 bridge), Les Paul wiring, different pickups, routing for mini switches, two covered on Sugru that I decided not to use at the moment, with the other four allowing series / parallel / N split / S split for each pickup.

986A6EBF-B487-4452-8E0B-9700EC46F42D.jpeg

Now I have no mini switches, with chrome covered Duncan Saturday Night Specials, and I'm about to switch to dual gang pots (since I realize the best tones with these low cap values always are when the tone knob moves with the volume knob!), plus trimpots on mini switches for preset lower output levels and darkness.

I don't know if it will work out with the space, but I've ordered 12.8mm diameter knobs to go with the dual gangs (which are all A250k, by the way), planning, if it doesn't feel too cramped, to install a third knob between the two existing holes, so I can have independent volume / tone for the middle position.

I'm on a mod journey with this thing. It feels incredible with this neck, keeps tuning stability no matter the abuse (I use D'Addario Balanced Tension 9s for a light trem), and all wiring parts are, as you could gather, replaced. I really love it. The caveat is that it takes very hot pickups or parallel trimpots to make it balanced, or else it's over bright. But I've learned to embrace the brightness for single coil emulation with my Saturday Night Specials, and many pedal models, like the Zen Drive, especially, get you right back to hot humbucker tones when you want. I'm always aiming for versatility.

They're not really on-off switches, just coil splits. The split coil sound is both much louder and much noisier than the humbucking sound, so I very rarely use it. Also, that middle pickup isn't reverse wound, so no noise cancelling at all in single-coil mode.
The split sound is * louder * ?
Weird.
So the "normal" position looks like a single coil but it's actually humbucking, and quieter?
I should try to get my hands on one, see what this is about.

The split sound is * louder * ?
Weird.
So the "normal" position looks like a single coil but it's actually humbucking, and quieter?
I should try to get my hands on one, see what this is about.
Yep. They are stacked humbuckers, and I really couldn't understand the behavior either, but what I could find online confirms that it's a known thing with stacked coils. I think it's because the split mode turns off the lower/inner coil, so the only coil active is the one closest to the strings. It would be interesting to see what the difference would be switching between series and parallel - I imagine that would be louder too, for the same reason.

Here's my Sun Valley Super Shredder when I got it:

View attachment 121747

And here it is sometime later with dual concentrics (.015 neck tone cap, .010 bridge), Les Paul wiring, different pickups, routing for mini switches, two covered on Sugru that I decided not to use at the moment, with the other four allowing series / parallel / N split / S split for each pickup.

View attachment 121748

Now I have no mini switches, with chrome covered Duncan Saturday Night Specials, and I'm about to switch to dual gang pots (since I realize the best tones with these low cap values always are when the tone knob moves with the volume knob!), plus trimpots on mini switches for preset lower output levels and darkness.

I don't know if it will work out with the space, but I've ordered 12.8mm diameter knobs to go with the dual gangs (which are all A250k, by the way), planning, if it doesn't feel too cramped, to install a third knob between the two existing holes, so I can have independent volume / tone for the middle position.

I'm on a mod journey with this thing. It feels incredible with this neck, keeps tuning stability no matter the abuse (I use D'Addario Balanced Tension 9s for a light trem), and all wiring parts are, as you could gather, replaced. I really love it. The caveat is that it takes very hot pickups or parallel trimpots to make it balanced, or else it's over bright. But I've learned to embrace the brightness for single coil emulation with my Saturday Night Specials, and many pedal models, like the Zen Drive, especially, get you right back to hot humbucker tones when you want. I'm always aiming for versatility.
Love the looks of that guitar. Just scared to order since I play lefty and can’t play before I buy.

Love the looks of that guitar. Just scared to order since I play lefty and can’t play before I buy.

Thanks! I totally understand about not wanting to order online; that's a huge gamble. I guess if the return policy's okay, it may be worth paying the shipping back. You could ask the shop to test it for you on video for whatever you need, like clean fretwork, dead notes, whatever...if they have a left handed player!

Here is my Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid C-8 baritone 28' with EMG 66-8H Neck and bridge PU's. They sound soooo brutal 🤘

This guitar is lightweight and perfectly balanced. I love to play it even with 6 string songs.

The top is greenish, but it doesnt show on these pictures. Its beautiful just looking at it

20230710_121657.jpg20230710_121749.jpg

Back
Top Bottom