SHOUT OUT to Mick / XiTone

A couple comments:

Xitone cabinets are Beasts! They will take a beating...

CLR cabinets seem quite "fragile" - I have never seen one that was used outside of a home that was not dented with the covering flaking off.

I've also seen numerous people report failures with CLRs, especially the power amp module... And also numerous reports of people having poor response from Atomic. To be fair, I've also seen people report that they got excellent service once they were able to get connected.

On the flip side, I've seen very few reports of issues with Xitones (although @iaresee did have a problem with his MBritt cab). BUT I have never heard anyone complain about lack of response or anything other than stellar service from Mic.

I own 3 passive Xitone wedges... They are great.

On the flip side, I've seen very few reports of issues with Xitones (although @iaresee did have a problem with his MBritt cab). BUT I have never heard anyone complain about lack of response or anything other than stellar service from Mic.
Yup. I had one with a new Dayton power amp in it and arrived DOA from the person I bought it used from. Mick still helped me get it sorted out.

Talk about amazing customer service, right? He didn't have to do that. He did. I will be buying a second from him this year, direct.

You know I haven’t connected them yet! The cab is in my rehearsal space and the III has been under wraps at home. I haven’t gone through the work of re-jigger-ing my MFC to control enough of the III to use it live.

I should....

Just send me the III and I'll give it a testing. :)

I do have to share a story about @MicFarlow that I found to be quite inspirational, IMO. I received an MBritt cab which is just stellar in every way possible. However, there was one minor thing that seemed off:

You see that little silver screw? I was thinking, this cab is a piece of precision, how in the world could someone miss that? Was it a grounding screw or something I was missing?

Anyway... this is what Mick responded with (hopefully he won't mind me quoting him):

That silver screw is kinda a trademark with XiTone. If you think about it that screw is doing the same work as every other screw in the cab, it just looks different. So goes life. It serves as a reminder to me to treat everyone as I'd like to be treated. :)

He offered to send me a black screw, but I declined. Everytime I see that silver screw I'm reminded to do the same to others and share that same insight with them. Needless to say, I have another Xitone on order.

You are welcome to quote me on this for sure! :)

Yup, Mick makes some beautiful sounding, beautiful looking and rugged cabs. He's also a great guy with a killer sense of humor. To bad, he struggles with his self identity. :confused:

Thanks Knobs... I am working on the identity issues! :)

Mick?
“He taught me how to love a woman — and how to scold a child.”
Yep... and you liked it!
“He once punched a hole in a cow just so he could see who was coming up the road.”
Actually, it was two cows so that I could see with both eyes.
“Did I ever tell you about the time Mick took me out to go get a drink with him? We go off looking for a bar and we can’t find one. Finally, Mick takes me into a vacant lot and says, ‘Here we are.’ Well, we sat there for a year and a half. Sure enough, someone constructed a bar around us. Well, the day they opened it, we ordered a shot, drank it, and then burnt the place to the ground. Mick yelled over the roar of the flames, ‘Always leave things the way you found them!'”
One important detail is missing.... As I yelled over the roar of the flames, I also tossed them a handful of silver screws!
I heard Nothing kills Mick. He's immune to 179 different types of poison because He ingested them all at once when he was deep undercover in an underground poison-ingesting crime ring.
Actually immune to 199 different types of poison... Yeah, my cover got blown when I came down with salmonella poisoning. Really sucks because I was so close to earning a set of steak knives.
I also heard Mick once used defibrillators on himself.
True... them things can leave a rash though!
There's also a rumor He's jumped from a high-rise building using only a raincoat as a parachute and broke both legs upon landing and He still had to pretend he was in a Cirque du Soleil show!
Yep. I was able to work through my high wire act using only my head and hands. No sweat!
His one arm has been ripped off completely and he re-attached with his other arm.
Yep.. that scar still itches from time to time. Just goes to show what can happen when you try to skin an alligator from the inside out.
He can also kill two stones with one bird and he never sleeps he just waits.
Yep, with both eyes closed.
You forgot about his telekinesis and that wonderful pecan pie recipe.
Did anyone mention the nice FRFR cabs!
Yes... I finally reached Expert Level Telekinesis... I can make a pecan pie while building a speaker cab!
I heard MIck was 25 ft tall and has to lie down to dunk a basketball...
True... but my head has to be at the top of the key!

So I've been researching the FRFR speaker thing for quite a while--starting with what are my requirements (not currently playing in a band). Its come down to Xitone or CLR FRFR for me (if I don't take the PA route for cost/simplicity), There's clearly a lot of support for both options with a fairly significant bias for CLR (based on recent poll).

My primary is in sound quality and dispersion...not loundness. I can afford top quality stuff, so the difference between Xitone and CLR is not an issue...other than I want to make sure I get something of value for it. I also am not interested in going down this rabbit hole again. I want to buy once and be done with it.

So here's some of my thinking..

The frequency response on both are excellent: +/- 2.5 db @ 80-20k Hz for Xitone and +/- 2.5 db70Hz-18kHz for the CLR (the CLR gives frequency plot; the Xitone does not). No difference in my mind, but would like to have the frequency curve on Xitone.

Both have a 12" speaker and 1" driver. Assuming they are both using top of line components. Draw.

The directivity is 90 degrees H x 90 degrees V, average from 650Hz and up for the CLR; I can't find a spec for the Xitone but I understand it it 90 degress in both direction (hopefully Mick can confirm). Draw?

CLR claims it has a special sauce...Coincident Linear Reference, "The term “coincident” denotes a multi-way (two-way in this case) loudspeaker that functions as a single, well-behaved source of sound at all frequencies." Ok, so what does this really mean? Something to do with phasing? Is the spacing of the speaker and driver such that the sound becomes "colinear" or is there something in the electronics? There's other claims CLRs make that I won't repeat here related to electronics. I just wish Xitone would be able to claim something "proprietary" here. BTW, I did a patent search for colinear linear reference and it came up blank.

Customer service clearly goes to Xitone as does durability. Something not to be taken lightly.

So, still working through this, but know that either way, I'll be in good shape.

I'm sure there's some interesting opinions and insight out there...

Cheers,

Nick

Pretty much a draw on dispersion.

As for proprietary things with my cabs... There are elements to my cabs that I do not share publicly.

I really try to provide good customer service though there are times I have come up short. Always room for improvement! :)

Please do not hesitate to send me an email if you have any more questions.

Mick, I am still on the fence. Every time I read these kinds of threads I waffle your direction. Your customer service always is rated VERY high, which I greatly appreciate. I love everything about the MBritt except the 46lbs! The CLR we are talkin 33lbs but it is more of a monitor than an amp cab. I have also considered the Matrix FR-12 at 29lbs, and leaning that direction. I believe I do want an active 12" in a cab box rather than a monitor box. It does not need to be LOUD, but it does need to sound awesome at small studio levels and small venues. I do see you offer a 10" open back cab, but it is at 38lbs. You also offer a 12" GRFR at about 30lbs which may be the ticket, but still leaning on a more amp cab look, but I could be nuts. Plus, there is nowhere in my area that I know of to listen before purchase of any of these options. Any thoughts?

With the Britt... yep, the weight is a concern for a lot of folks for sure.

I do make a cab version of the GRFR that has a fabric grille. A steel grille is also an option.

You aren't nuts.. I can make the GRFR in a cab format, no issues.

Pretty much a draw on dispersion.

As for proprietary things with my cabs... There are elements to my cabs that I do not share publicly.

I really try to provide good customer service though there are times I have come up short. Always room for improvement! :)

Please do not hesitate to send me an email if you have any more questions.
Oh I understand that you don't want to share proprietary things publicly...I just think if you have some, think about labeling and market it (obviously within limits). If you got some sizzle, put it out there! Let it be a further differentiator of your excellent product.

The Xitone Active Wedge weighs in at 36-38lbs. It's probably the closest dimensionally to the CLR. Not that far off from Atomic's 33lbs, but significantly better build quality.

Just to add to the quoted post. I have a pair of Xitone active wedges and weight was an important factor for me. Mick built mine using 1/2" ply instead of the 3/4". It brought the weight down 4 or 5 pounds per cabinet (sorry, I don't have an accurate weight to post). Now, I was aware that there is a tradeoff of reduced weight vs. durability using the thinner ply. The 1/2" build is not as durable as the 3/4" build BUT the 1/2" build is still extremely durable and built like a tank. I see no real difference and no compromise in sound or solid structure (other than the weight) - an option worth considering if weight is a concern.

Just wanted to share that the 1/2" option is available.

I very much understand that lighter/smaller is better and more convenient.
But coming from a world of dragging around 2x12 and 4x12 cabs, I find all of Mick's cabs (and I've had my hands on quite a few) are a breeze to carry and move.
My XiTone passive wedge is super light. I'm pretty sure that instead of shipping it, Mick just wound up threw it to me in Boston like a discus.
He does have long arms though since he's 25' tall.

Anyone who is nervous about buying a XiTone shouldn't be. Outstanding products, the best customer service in the biz, and there are a forum full of people who will happily take it off your hands if you decide to sell it used.

With the Britt... yep, the weight is a concern for a lot of folks for sure.

I do make a cab version of the GRFR that has a fabric grille. A steel grille is also an option.

You aren't nuts.. I can make the GRFR in a cab format, no issues.

Mick, thx for the response. Is there any downside to the Bluetooth playing Spotify music and the GRGR vs FRFR frequency responses?

Also, on line the sales pitch for the GRFR says: “this approach provides a more cab like feel.” This is without the 200w tweeter. Can you unpack that line for us?

And finally, do you sell many of the GRFRs? I rarely here about it, and lots of talk on the FRFR.

I do like the lower weight, but at the same price as the FRFR with no tweeter and 200 watts less power, I am curious about the trade offs.

Here is an opportunity to expound on the pros and cons of each approach. Thank you!

Mick, thx for the response. Is there any downside to the Bluetooth playing Spotify music and the GRGR vs FRFR frequency responses?

Also, on line the sales pitch for the GRFR says: “this approach provides a more cab like feel.” This is without the 200w tweeter. Can you unpack that line for us?

And finally, do you sell many of the GRFRs? I rarely here about it, and lots of talk on the FRFR.

I do like the lower weight, but at the same price as the FRFR with no tweeter and 200 watts less power, I am curious about the trade offs.

Here is an opportunity to expound on the pros and cons of each approach. Thank you!

Yes, there is a downside to GRFR vs. FRFR while playing anything but guitar music. The top end of the frequency response is about 12k or so for the GRFR and as such, program music will sound rather dull without that extra top end.

I do not sell many of them yet. They were developed for folks wanting extra weight savings but at the expense of top end response beyond what is really required for most guitar related types of tones.

Since they have no tweeter at all, guys who don't like tweeters might find it easier to get along with.

I do have to share a story about @MicFarlow that I found to be quite inspirational, IMO. I received an MBritt cab which is just stellar in every way possible. However, there was one minor thing that seemed off:

You see that little silver screw? I was thinking, this cab is a piece of precision, how in the world could someone miss that? Was it a grounding screw or something I was missing?

Anyway... this is what Mick responded with (hopefully he won't mind me quoting him):

That silver screw is kinda a trademark with XiTone. If you think about it that screw is doing the same work as every other screw in the cab, it just looks different. So goes life. It serves as a reminder to me to treat everyone as I'd like to be treated. :)

He offered to send me a black screw, but I declined. Everytime I see that silver screw I'm reminded to do the same to others and share that same insight with them. Needless to say, I have another Xitone on order.

I always thought the silver screw in the Xitone 2 x 12 cab I bought second hand was something the previous owner did. Now I know the truth.

Mick, I am still on the fence. Every time I read these kinds of threads I waffle your direction. Your customer service always is rated VERY high, which I greatly appreciate. I love everything about the MBritt except the 46lbs! The CLR we are talkin 33lbs but it is more of a monitor than an amp cab. I have also considered the Matrix FR-12 at 29lbs, and leaning that direction. I believe I do want an active 12" in a cab box rather than a monitor box. It does not need to be LOUD, but it does need to sound awesome at small studio levels and small venues. I do see you offer a 10" open back cab, but it is at 38lbs. You also offer a 12" GRFR at about 30lbs which may be the ticket, but still leaning on a more amp cab look, but I could be nuts. Plus, there is nowhere in my area that I know of to listen before purchase of any of these options. Any thoughts?

For what it's worth, I bought my CLR when my FR-12 had a problem (that the company quickly fixed for free). Now I only use the CLR to gig as it's significantly clearer (and to Matrix's defense, also more expensive). I have not tried Xitone's powered monitors. Even with the DSP switch on the Matrix, you may find the CLR sounds better at low volume and it definitely sounds better at gig volume.

Oooh these XiTone cabs sound very intriguing! Gonna have to dig deeper into this. I gotta get something asap to do my AxeFx2 some justice. My last FRFR attempt failed. I need something powerful and that can handle ultra low, bottom heavy 8 string riffage!!!

Back
Top Bottom