Should we have to "sign" the release notes before being able to DL them ?

How would you make people acknowledge reading the release notes? You could put a function in the FW which locks the AF2. Then all people would have to do is read the release notes to discover how to unlock the new FWed device.

I can see this making forum life more peaceful.

forums are a place for stupid questions. back in my heavy pedal using days I'd hang on The Gear page and there would be fricking 15 threads a day about buffers in the effect forum

I think if people asking questions on a forum annoys anyone then possibly you are being a bit over sensitive about the whole thing .IMHO of course

It's difficult to figure out what posts in this thread are serious and which are laden with sarcasm.

FYI - my post about requiring one pass a 100 question test with a 90% was a joke.

Maybe.....

LOL. I'm praying this spoken out of frustration and/or humor rather than some hopelessly simple minded thought that adding some sort arbitrary, artificial gateway would accomplish anything at all other than making everyone unilaterally annoyed. Hey I know how about a QUIZ at the end to make sure they REALLY read them! That'll make everyone happier.

If you are frustrated with people asking these types of questions the only viable strategy is to repeatedly answer by saying "this is covered in the Release notes, you can find them here: LINK. Also, here's a cut and paste for this particular release". Or to ignore them and let people who have more patience shepherd them, not everyone is a natural mentor.

Over time people become conditioned to look for them. I wasn't when I first had the Axe because even though I use a bunch of super complex software at work I had the AxeFx filed under "guitar processor == simple" in my head. Now, whenever I see a new release announcement, I do not even download it until I look at the post further down that some nice person inevitably cut and pastes containing the release notes.

forums are a place for stupid questions. back in my heavy pedal using days I'd hang on The Gear page and there would be fricking 15 threads a day about buffers in the effect forum

I think if people asking questions on a forum annoys anyone then possibly you are being a bit over sensitive about the whole thing .IMHO of course

even if the exact question is answered in a thread pinned to the top of the forum? is there absolutely no responsibility or expectation for people to read or try to search at all?

even if the exact question is answered in a thread pinned to the top of the forum? is there absolutely no responsibility or expectation for people to read or try to search at all?

I'm not sying it cant be frustrating but its the nature of the forum beast. they are all the same .

I know you spend time trying to help and educate people on using the axe fx which is awesome but its like being a school teacher. some people just don't learn by themselves . If you cant live with it then then schoolteacher isnt the job for you .I dont mean you personally but you get my point

Last edited:
It's an age thing. Some of us grew up pre-internet and figured things out on our own, went to the library, read the book. Today's kids, I have one, can't figure out how to open a pickle jar without a YouTube video to explain it to them. They are completely f*cked if the power goes out.

As if on que, my thirteen year old started screaming "we're out of lemonade". I told him to make more then, he said he didn't know how. I said it was nice knowing him, as it was unfortunate he'd die so young of dehydration. After half an hour he figured it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe does a quick search, shows up preexisting threads that might relate to it, then asks if you really want to post

And pass a test to vote. While we're at it don't forget to read the 77,000 pages of the Tax Code. lol

I've been guilty of starting a unnecessary thread and felt foolish after I realized it had been discussed extensively. This is a busy busy forum and it's difficult to keep up with all the topics generated, they can quickly end up a few pages back depending on activity. I look at the forum during work breaks, I love it, but you can miss stuff too. I am greatful there are a lot of patient and helpful people around here!!! But yes read first should apply.

It's funny that the OP thinks people will not simply click the button/tick the box and move.
It will change nothing.

Well that's just excessive. Especially as everyone knows that buffers suck tone.

The way to handle the incessant reposting of the same inquiry is for everyone to simply post "Please Read The Release Notes, it's in there. Feel free to return here with further inquiries if your problem remains unsolved after reading the release notes."

Just teach people how to help themselves. Also, posting things like "It's on page xxx of the Owner's Manual." trains people to look things up on the manual.

Yes often posts links to the appropriate wiki page. That's a smart thing to do. I didn't even know that a wiki existed until he had done so.

Why would that make it any harder though for those that do read, because as is implied, they do read it anyways, so they aren't doing any extra work (aside from the literal 2 seconds to check a mouse box)

There seems to be this big divide between 2 types of Axe users; those who are so eager to read the release notes that they are asking for early copies, asking for the text to be posted online as they can't down load it yet, and then those that simply don't read anything.

Not only do some folks not read the release notes, but they also don't read the forum stickies that address their very issues before posting a question/bug/issue that was 1) clearly laid out in the release notes and 2) clearly explained in a sticky thread about said problem.

I kind of feel this issue kind of hurts everyone in a way; very busy people like Cliff spend time answering the same question over and over when they could be doing something more useful like updating some FX models. Very helpful people like Chris also spend a good deal of time answering the same question over and over, again, time they could spend doing other things. The end user misses out because they have to wait for someone to respond; and that response is usually pointing them to the release notes, upon which they can easily help themselves.

I'm certainly not calling for someone reading 10 pages of fine print, but what if the firmware download page simply had in big bold text the few important changes ?

Nothing to initial, sign etc, simply a "warning" about a change like the USB return level written right above the link to download ?

Doesn't need every minor tweak of every amp etc to be mentioned, but the few changes that will confuse most people maybe can have a little more attention drawn to them ?

I'm sure most people here agree with your motive. The problem is that requiring a signature wouldn't solve anything. It's like you said. There's two types of people - and the signature won't change people's nature, nor their behavior.

I've been guilty of starting a unnecessary thread and felt foolish after I realized it had been discussed extensively. This is a busy busy forum and it's difficult to keep up with all the topics generated, they can quickly end up a few pages back depending on activity. I look at the forum during work breaks, I love it, but you can miss stuff too. I am greatful there are a lot of patient and helpful people around here!!! But yes read first should apply.

^This. An honest effort should be made. But there's no way to keep up on it all. A little patience goes a long way. If you can't muster the patience to answer something you think someone else should already know, move along.

It's an age thing. Some of us grew up pre-internet and figured things out on our own, went to the library, read the book. Today's kids, I have one, can't figure out how to open a pickle jar without a YouTube video to explain it to them. They are completely f*cked if the power goes out.

As if on que, my thirteen year old started screaming "we're out of lemonade". I told him to make more then, he said he didn't know how. I said it was nice knowing him, as it was unfortunate he'd die so young of dehydration. After half an hour he figured it out.

How did he figure out what dehydration is?

I think potential customers should be tested to see if they even qualify to acquire an Axe-FX, not to mention “operate one”. More money than sense really isn’t a qualifying criterion.

The absolute minimum:

1.) Can read/understand English (will also do such!)
2.) Understands that FW-updates can/will change tone/feel
3.) Forum members are not here to absorb venting of your self-induced frustrations, due to not complying to points 1 and 2.

Freedom of choice. Even if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice. You can't force people to read things.

Back
Top Bottom