Should I upgrade to a MFC from a Ground Control Pro ????

mcgyver

Inspired
Should I upgrade to a MFC from a Ground Control Pro ????

What would I gain for the $750.00???

1) I already have instant access to the effect blocks that I want.
2) I am using a midi cable that powers the unit. So no wall wart for power.
3) I have 2 IA switches set for "scene up" and scene dn"
4) I have two exp pedals one for vol/exp and one for wah.
5) IA set up for tuner.
6) I know the unit well. I set it up for other guitar players I know. They call me the GCP ninja LOL

What else am I missing???

Thoughts ?
Thanks
Jamie

Last edited:
The MFC manual is a free download. There are a few things but unless you will actually use them it sounds like you have a working setup so why bother?

Main thing I can think of is real time display of patch names and info from the Axe Fx, unless the GCP does this also. It's also just easier to setup since it was designed to work with the Axe Fx. You might consider buying a used MFC, which can be found for around $500.

Last edited:
Easier access to scenes (sounds like you may not care), more buttons, tuner and Axe Fx preset name display on the MFC. Looper controls pre-programmed, real-time update of IA status across scenes, way more flexibility in button layout, a software editor (not free, but worth the $), ethercon and FASLink... More expression pedal and external switch ports. The physical design is better, IMO, as far as the staggered height of the buttons.

Ultimately, it comes down to what you need to do with it. As someone else suggested, look for a used MFC...

The GCP as well as original Ground Control are solid, reliable gear. I used both for many years... But they don't compare when it comes to controlling the Axe Fx.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: ITL
Many here, me included, used the GCP before the MFC. It will do what you need if you set it up right. The MFC comes set up to access the features of the Axe Fx but still needs some tweaking (in most cases) to do what the user needs. One of the biggest features the GCP lacks is showing the tuner in the display. While a little slower than looking at the front panel, it is great when you need a quick adjustment and can't step to the side of the stage to see the screen. I'm happy with the MFC, which is a first generation version so you know it'll take a lot of stage use. Added an XA-2 adapter from my new XL+ so I can use mic cords to interface when needed.

Ultimately it's about what you need. Look through the MFC manual and see if there are functions you could use that you don't have, and if not... stay put knowing you are all set for what you do.

Thanks guys. All great points. Maybe I'll keep an eye for a used one.
My other thought is, if someone spilled a beer on my Ground control pro. I am out about $275.00- $300.00 bucks. I have a midi dump of the settings and a spare unit.
If someone spilled a beer on my MFC I think I would be more upset at $750.00 a pop.

Something to think about.

Back
Top Bottom