Should I send my Axe FX II through my RME Daw or not?

I run a pair of RME FFace800's, the Axe-FX II, and Logic.

The short answer to your question is that using the analog outputs of the Axe-FX II into the RME (I use inputs 9&10) a) It sounds great, and will allow you sample rate flexibility and b) If you really want a DI signal for this rig, buy a decent guitar DI and run its output into another channel of the RME. I use a Radial JDV, but there are much less expensive (and some higher) options available.

I use my Axe-FX II with an RME Fireface with the analog I/O. I was considering connecting it via SPDIF but I was convinced otherwise by someone that knows way more than me. The RME and the Axe both have very high quality converters so there's really no reason not to use it with the RME. Keep it simple!

Sorry, but I am confused now. I can connect the Axe via 3 options: USB, SPDIF og analog I/O? Could you tell me more what the latest is?

The other thing you could do is aggregate both audio devices. That way you can take advantage of keeping the wet/dry channels available in the axe interface and use the RME for whatever else you need?

Only downsides might be:
a) possible latency penalty but worth trying maybe?
b) using the axe as an audio interface consumes some cpu. so the wet/dry via usb is great but comes at a cost.

What do you mean by aggregating both audio devices?
Can I only keep wet/dry for my Axe if I send it directly to my computer and not go via the RME?

Not necessarily, that depends on how you set up Cubase and how you have direct monitoring set up on the RME.

In Cubase

If you set up one stereo track from the spdif input then yes
If you set up two mono tracks and set up the routing correctly you would hear either a mono wet or mono dry mix.

On the RME you might need to change what you are monitoring

I have connected my Axe via balanced outputs and then using the balanced jack inputs on the back of the RME. I have a question regarding the volume.

When playing live with the Axe FX I usally never put the volume higher than 9 o'clock. When I have it at 9 and the meter for the channel in Total Mix RME at 0, the volume is very low. How should I go about increasing the volume?
1. Turn up the gain in settings in Total Mix?
2. Turn up the volume from output 1 on the Axe II itself? At the same time, it seems strange I have to increase the volume so much out from the Axe?

When recording in Cubase I have usually used my Axe FX II as Audio interface and had projects in 48 khz. I have recorded wet and dry tracks simountaneously with my Axe. When recording vocals in the same project I have used my old Audio interface and switched the khz to 44,1.

I have recently bought a new RME Fireface UFX II and my questions is whether I should send my AXE FX II through my RME Fireface UFX II or not? If I send the AXE through my RME I will avoid having to switch the project back and forth between 44,1 and 48 khz. If I record via RME, will I still be able to record wet and dry tracks simountaneously?

Please see this sticky thread by shasha, it is exactly how I use it myself too: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...th-external-sound-card-audio-interface.97771/

To put it short (for exact config see the sticky thread): The DAW project would be 48KHz, RME will do everything (the dry track would come as a digitial signal so nothing will be lost as the original source), the Axe FX is connected to the RME via SPDIF/AES. In addition, all that covers also re-amping.

P.S. for analogue wet sound I turn the Axe volume around 2 o'clock.

Back
Top Bottom