Should I keep the monitor or sell it off?

theo

Experienced
Hey guys, I've been running my Axe FX 2 for close to a year now. I no longer use my mackie hd1221 at practice anymore, I found it hard to compete with the other guitarist in my band (he runs a mesa rig... I can't convert him), so instead I just run straight into the PA and out through the monitors. At home I practice through my Yamaha hs50m's.

Do you think there's any worth in keeping the Mackie wedge around as a foldback for gigs? I usually just rely on the soundguy to give me foldback in the FOH wedges.
Looking for some feedback from people experienced with this.

Don't ever rely on the sound guy for your sound. He may EQ his monitors so guitar sounds bad (vocal priority). I always bring my own monitor for guitar. Then I work with the sound guy and venue so I don't make the stage volume too loud, but I have my consistent sound everywhere I go.

I no longer use my mackie hd1221 at practice anymore, I found it hard to compete with the other guitarist in my band (he runs a mesa rig...

Do you think there's any worth in keeping the Mackie wedge around as a foldback for gigs? I usually just rely on the soundguy to give me foldback in the FOH wedges.
Looking for some feedback from people experienced with this.

In what way are you having truble competing with your other guitarist, is it a volume war or is it a mix issue?

I agree with Chris don't rely on the sound person for your sound.

It has been my experience that the 4-12 IR's by themselves have a harder time cutting through the mix. I mix in a 4-12 IR with the old Black 2-12 (Factory 19 IR) with a RE16 mic for cutting through the mix.

I play in a melodic death metal band, I have plenty of mids (no scooping for me). I just don't use the HD1221 at practice because VS his mesa 4X12 OS I wasn't loud enough. Plugging direct into the PA at practice has alleviated this perfectly. So you guys think the best approach is to plug for example the left side of output one directly into my mackie and have that onstage as a personal monitor and then have the right side sending to the desk?

Copy OP-1 to OP-2... OP-1 to the desk and he can send you back to their stage monitors (if needed), OP-2 to your Mackie this way you have total control of your volume and tone.

Back
Top Bottom