Should I DI the AX8 or go directly to the mixer in a live situation?

Ralph K

Inspired
i am always offered to use a DI when performing live, was wondering if thats the correct way to go or should i plug directly into the mixer?

a DI changes a high impedance signal (usually a direct guitar 1/4") to a low impedance signal (XLR cable).

the AX8 already has XLR so you don't need to use one.

if you WANT to, you can use the 1/4" outputs to go to the DI box.

I use DIs mainly to eliminate ground loops. The AX8 has a GND lift switch for the XLRs in case so no need to use a DI.

I use a fancy Radial DI that I keep on top of my FRFR behind me. Don’t need to use it but I do. It eliminates 2 issues I sometimes run into with sound guys. 1. The sound guys don’t have to run XLR’s out to the front of stage to the AX8. They can plug right into the DI on the backline where they are use to for guitars. (I have heard them complain about having to run them out front. Lazy.) 2. The Radial converts line level signal to mic level so the soundguys don’t freak out. (Although most guys know what to expect nowadays.)
This is the one I have. One of the senior forum members recommended it to me a couple of years ago.
http://www.radialeng.com/jdiduplex.php

I use a fancy Radial DI that I keep on top of my FRFR behind me. Don’t need to use it but I do. It eliminates 2 issues I sometimes run into with sound guys. 1. The sound guys don’t have to run XLR’s out to the front of stage to the AX8. They can plug right into the DI on the backline where they are use to for guitars. (I have heard them complain about having to run them out front. Lazy.) 2. The Radial converts line level signal to mic level so the soundguys don’t freak out. (Although most guys know what to expect nowadays.)
This is the one I have. One of the senior forum members recommended it to me a couple of years ago.
http://www.radialeng.com/jdiduplex.php
Excellent ideas for pre-troubleshooting typical venue issues.

Many times the problems we face are the sound engineer needing to do things only his way - usually stemming from a lack of experience and knowledge.

I was told once “no, a guitar sound MUST USE a 1/4” cable to the mixer or it will blow up.” Seriously.

Many times the problems we face are the sound engineer needing to do things only his way - usually stemming from a lack of experience and knowledge.

I was told once “no, a guitar sound MUST USE a 1/4” cable to the mixer or it will blow up.” Seriously.
Lmao! That is hilarious.

I also use a Radial JDI box for the same reason, but for control as well. Output 1 goes to my FRFR and Output 2 goes to the house through the JDI. That way I have some control over what I hear.

I know that guy! The reason he's doing the sound is that bar makes him help the band set up, because he's slower than anyone else pulling beers when its busy. He'll learn the job, eventually, we hope: the beer part of it anyway.

I always have a couple of XLR cables in my bag and just plug into the cable they have for the cab mic if it's not long enough to reach the AX8. The JDI Duplex is a nice idea to get more control over your signal.

Back
Top Bottom