Should I buy a used PRS that has the infamous V12 finish?

If you zoom in close some idiot has sanded that so I'm guessing it's mostly moron damage.
IDK, those images are too low res to make any such conclusion. After buying guitars with a satin, bare wood (rosewood) or some sort of treated (oil) bare neck I wouldn’t buy a highly finished neck again.

IDK, those images are too low res to make any such conclusion. After buying guitars with a satin, bare wood (rosewood) or some sort of treated (oil) bare neck I wouldn’t buy a highly finished neck again.
Go to the page and look, if finish has an adhesion problem it comes off in random bits with hard edges. it's clearly sanded thinner and is not as it would be if it was not moron damage.

Go to the page and look, if finish has an adhesion problem it comes off in random bits with hard edges. it's clearly sanded thinner and is not as it would be if it was not moron damage.
Or, since a “first worlder” probably owned it and the majority of the first world population has some degree of OCD (or worse) I could easily see someone picked and/or peeled at it until we have that mess. Which I guess falls under your “moron damage” description. I’m sure anything beyond that is possible, but there’s no way based on the photo quality determining exactly how it got that way is possible and nothing more than a good guess. Honestly, I don’t give a sh*t because it’s not mine and I’m not buying it.

Also, I DID LOOK at the photo. Multiple times!! Do you think I just write things because I find typing fun??

Or, since a “first worlder” probably owned it and the majority of the first world population has some degree of OCD (or worse) I could easily see someone picked and/or peeled at it until we have that mess. Which I guess falls under your “moron damage” description. I’m sure anything beyond that is possible, but there’s no way based on the photo quality determining exactly how it got that way is possible and nothing more than a good guess. Honestly, I don’t give a sh*t because it’s not mine and I’m not buying it.

Also, I DID LOOK at the photo. Multiple times!! Do you think I just write things because I find typing fun??
You seem too :tearsofjoy:

You seem too :tearsofjoy:
Yeah, nice passive aggressive comment just like an immature troll.

It’s clear the problem you have is as you say, the “moron” didn’t come to you who is the pinnacle of the luthier trade and beyond reproach and PAY you to do the repair.

I really have no idea why it was necessary to comment, especially quoting me after my post HERE. I didn’t need corrected about anything. And I know you didn’t quote me directly so don’t micro pick that bit. However it’s clear you had a problem with the content of my comments.

The situation with that guitar is unknown, unless you know something specific and haven’t disclosed it. But I will say that I don’t have the attitude that everyone is a moron and should not work on their instruments. I don’t have a need to save people from themselves. Especially disingenuously. People need to know their limitations and if they don’t it’s going to be a learning lesson. In the case of a PRS a possible expensive one. I work on my guitars and even to the point of doing some finish work. It all depends on the potential money saved vs. the potential cost. I learned long ago that many so called “luthiers” are not much more capable than someone with reasonable trade skills and the ability to think critically.

As you can see I don’t like you. I gave you way more latitude than most because I don’t think you’re a hack, but I’ve seen too many instances of you being demeaning and just a plain _______! Fill in the blank. I’m not someone who automatically respects someone because they may be competent at a specific thing and definitely not because they are an Internet forum “guru”.

Now watch me get suspended because I dared to confront a favorite son.

Last edited:
Yeah, nice passive aggressive comment just like an immature troll.

It’s clear the problem you have is as you say, the “moron” didn’t come to you who is the pinnacle of the luthier trade and beyond reproach and PAY you to do the repair.

I really have no idea why it was necessary to comment, especially quoting me after my post HERE. I didn’t need corrected about anything. And I know you didn’t quote me directly so don’t micro pick that bit. However it’s clear you had a problem with the content of my comments.

The situation with that guitar is unknown, unless you know something specific and haven’t disclosed it. But I will say that I don’t have the attitude that everyone is a moron and should not work on their instruments. I don’t have a need to save people from themselves. Especially disingenuously. People need to know their limitations and if they don’t it’s going to be a learning lesson. In the case of a PRS a possible expensive one. I work on my guitars and even to the point of doing some finish work. It all depends on the potential money saved vs. the potential cost. I learned long ago that many so called “luthiers” are not much more capable than someone with reasonable trade skills and the ability to think critically.

As you can see I don’t like you. I gave you way more latitude than most because I don’t think you’re a hack, but I’ve seen too many instances of you being demeaning and just a plain _______! Fill in the blank. I’m not someone who automatically respects someone because they may be competent at a specific thing and definitely not because they are an Internet forum “guru”.

Now watch me get suspended because I dared to confront a favorite son.
I help a LOT of people out without getting paid for it. Yes some people don't like me and I am fine with that because it is the price of saying it as it is (IMO). I am not sponsored by anyone and have been approached many times but I want to stay independent. I also have no axe to grind about anything. If I seem dogmatic about anything it is the result of cynicism and long experience in this industry which is full of misinformation, snake oil salesman and guitar shaped commodities. I am not going to complain about you and wouldn't suspend you if it was up to me. All the best and I look forward to disagreeing with you in the future.

Back
Top Bottom