Should I be turning off cab block when recording?

Here is an example of the kind of tone I would be shooting for:

Hear all the mid and upper range frequencies? Those all seem to disappear when I turn on cab emulation. I do realize I’m a n00b at this and perhaps I am selecting the wrong cabs. Now I know the recording was mic’d. I believe it’s possible just not sure why all the cabs I use cut off the high end.

If you use the right Cab/IR, the right mic(s), in the right positions, the right Amps, and the right settings, you can get a very bright guitar sound.

Or you can 'Tone Match' it.. LOL

Are there any IRs/Cabs that have barely any EQ taken out? That would potentially not take as much away from the sound?
I find that the vast majority of cabs are too dark for me. I've gone through MANY, and wind up with Greenback+57 types most often. Even with that, I gravitate to the brighter of the ones available.

Well, in the real world you wont be able to record a electric guitar without a speaker and a mic. This is only possible in the digital world (except using loadboxes and so on..).
Your guitar is full of several eqs, beginning at the guitar, the woods, the pickups, the amp.. and ofc the cab and mic. Its a combination of both. But I bet, you wont find any guitar recordings with purely DI Guitar in the Rock genre. You may find some console like tones in funk or even the 80s but those are mostly clean sounds.

A couple of methods you can use for rapidly auditioning a bunch of cabs, hands-free, in an effort to find the ones you like:
  1. Record a loop directly on the FM9 using the looper and change the cabs as the loop plays.
  2. Record something with the direct unprocessed signal from the FM9 into a DAW and then reamp while cycling through different cabs. See pg#26 in the FM9 Owners Manual for recording and reamping instructions.
Generally speaking, as long as you record the direct unprocessed signal to your DAW as well as the processed tone dialed up in your preset, you have the option to add any cab (or no cab) you want after laying down the track.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom