Should an Ultra supply power to a Rocktron midimate?

hogan

I've got a 7pin midi cable between my ultra(midi in) and a new Midimate(midi out) and the Midimate is not powering up. Do i have to tell the Ultra to send phantom power? thanks in advance. ~MJH

hogan said:
I've got a 7pin midi cable between my ultra(midi in) and a new Midimate(midi out) and the Midimate is not powering up. Do i have to tell the Ultra to send phantom power? thanks in advance. ~MJH

Does the midimate have a 9 volt power supply? IF so, you'll need to plug that into the Axe-FX, just above the MIDI IN port is a power jack that your 9V power supply should plug in to.

Muris_Varajic said:
Yup, you have to connect Midimate adapter into Ultra phantom jack,
no need for extra order or programming.

This is correct. The Axe-FX doesn't "supply" power, but it "sends" power, via the 7-pin midi. You'll still have to supply the power, via a wall-wart type transformer, with a barrel-plug. I thing the barrel size is the standard BOSS format. Plug the barrel into the back of the Axe-FX where it says Midi Phantom Power' run your 7-pin midi cable to your Midimate, and you're good to go. No setup or programming is needed.
Note that you'll probably need to switch back to standard 5-pin midi cable to plug into your computer sound-card, or whatever you use for software patch editing (if that's something you use), since most of them will only take 5-pin jacks. I keep a 7-pin cable in my road-kit; you only need one. going from the Midi-Mate Midi-Out to the Axe-FX Midi-In. You only need communication in one direction, from the Midi-Mate, into the Axe-FX, for this use.
I keep a pair of 5-pin midi cables for home studio use, to connect the Axe-FX to the computer sound card midi jacks, since you'll need communication in both directions.
More info than you asked for, but all valid things you may need to know, if you're just getting set up....

AAAAH' :idea: The manual doesn't make it clear that you have to use the 9v psu INTO the axe-fx
it just shows the power connector above the midi-in , some people have assumed this is a power out point not a power IN one. F/ audio should make this plainer to users . :idea:

angello120 said:
AAAAH' :idea: The manual doesn't make it clear that you have to use the 9v psu INTO the axe-fx
it just shows the power connector above the midi-in , some people have assumed this is a power out point not a power IN one. F/ audio should make this plainer to users . :idea:

It's clear if you think about it for a second - how could the Axe possibly know what the power requirements of any particular controller are in order to supply power to it?

quonsar said:
angello120 said:

It's clear if you think about it for a second - how could the Axe possibly know what the power requirements of any particular controller are in order to supply power to it?

The manual says power point- provides power to the board, most modern devices are capable of sensing the load required,and will run a range of out-board effects, the axe has a universal power system as do most current devices so that they will work anywhere in the world. What I was pointing out was that it does not tell you to- INPUT the psu at the power point 6 to provide power on the 6-7 pins.This could be made clear as some are confused. :?:

As far as I know, every unit capable of providing phantom power to a midi foot controller
requires an adapter to receive a power, THEN it sends it to a controller.
You are right tho, manual doesn't say all the details
but if you google "midi phantom power" you'll get all the details
about how midi phantom has been operating for ages. :)

Back
Top Bottom