Shorten Axe Case?

stefenator said:
here are the dimensions for the shallow SKB rack:

http://www.skbcases.com/industrial/prod ... id=122&s=p

you should be able to put it under the seat without a problem...

Again, it wasn't the size that was the problem, it was the perception. It doesn't look like a briefcase, and the SKB certainly doesn't look like a briefcase. But if I had to check my rack, I would rather it be in that SKB than the soft Gator bag but I think you are more likely to pass through the check in clerk in a soft rack bag than a hard case.

My anvil 3u shortie runs the back of the Axe flush with the back of the rack. The front lid just clears the bars. I carried this on board to and from Mexico recently for a flydate, no sweat.

BF3

Hmmm, interesting, I do have a old 2U Anvil shorty, that might be the easiest with a LF Jr in the guitar bag (and a stomp box sized L6 Wireless too if it'll fit, not critical though as I can live with a cable).

Thanks for the idea!

BigFun3 said:
My anvil 3u shortie runs the back of the Axe flush with the back of the rack. The front lid just clears the bars. I carried this on board to and from Mexico recently for a flydate, no sweat.

BF3

I find that you can get away with it better if it looks like a soft bag, anything that looks like a hard case will be harder in some flights even if its just a small 2 rack space, also if you're taking your guitar it already counts as your carry on, most flights only allow 1 carry on, and one personal item, personal item has to be very small like a laptop, 2 rack space would be considered a 2nd carry on, and in lot's of flights be prepared to gate check it, especially if it's a full flight, or smaller planes, this has been my experience, but you might be luckier.

The perception thing is dead on. When walking on with a guitar and the flight is pretty full, if your other carryon looks like gear then they May ask you gate check something. I stopped carrying my ultra In a rack altogether (i'm not suggesting others do that) :). I carry it unracked in a shoulder suitcase bag. It looks like clothes in a soft bag. I usually don't get hasseled with that. But if it looks like gear then I sometimes have problems.

Hmmm, another great idea, thanks.

Larry Mitchell said:
The perception thing is dead on. When walking on with a guitar and the flight is pretty full, if your other carryon looks like gear then they May ask you gate check something. I stopped carrying my ultra In a rack altogether (i'm not suggesting others do that) :). I carry it unracked in a shoulder suitcase bag. It looks like clothes in a soft bag. I usually don't get hasseled with that. But if it looks like gear then I sometimes have problems.

Another member (InsideOut) asked me how much room there was in the Gator 3U short rack case for the Axe-Fx because the dimensions on the Fractal and Gator websites make it sound like it won't quite fit. It does. I snapped some pictures for him so I thought I'd share. There's about 1/2" between the back of the Axe-Fx and the rear rails. There's more than enough room to leave regular old 1/4" phono plugs, XLR and power plugs plugged in to the Axe-Fx and still snap the back cover on without bending anything or stressing any of the leads.

Pictures tell the story...

Gator%20Short%20Case%20-%202.jpg

Gator%20Short%20Case%20-%203.jpg

Back
Top Bottom