short AC/DC clip

archangel

I play Malcolm in an AC/DC tribute band http://www.kcdcrocks.com

A friend of mine was asking about why I use an AXE FX instead of an old-school plexi with a 4x12. I told him that I felt I could approximate the tone with my AXE well enough and that its more portable, consistent, volume-friendly and flexible than a halfstack rig. Being a skeptic, I made him a clip...thought I'd share it:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=688623&songID=9185121

I'm a newbie when it comes to making recordings. There is no processing at all...just plugged my AXE out into my Apple via Duet going to Garage Band program then converted to mp3 thru itunes.

Its a simple patch on my AXE: amp > graphic EQ > cab > parametric EQ > filter > reverb

Normally I don't use reverb on my tone for Malcolm stuff, but I do for the intro of this song. BTW, my band tunes down a 1/2 step...which makes it sound a bit darker than the AC/DC version...but still, IMO, it approximates the tone.

Arghhh, is there a problem with the song or is it really only 6 seconds long ? The sound is so interesting I would love to hear at least 20 seconds of it ! ;)

Well the title does say "short" :lol:

Those 6 seconds sounded great tho so I also would like to hear more.

billou_35 said:
Arghhh, is there a problem with the song or is it really only 6 seconds long ? The sound is so interesting I would love to hear at least 20 seconds of it ! ;)

yeah, only 6 seconds...I wasnt sure how that file size would translate to email...didnt want to send a long clip and clog up my buddies computer. I'll try my hand at recording again sometime soon and put together a longer clip.

archangel said:
billou_35 said:

yeah, only 6 seconds...I wasnt sure how that file size would translate to email...didnt want to send a long clip and clog up my buddies computer. I'll try my hand at recording again sometime soon and put together a longer clip.

Super cool, thanks in advance archangel ;)

archangel said:
I use the amp model called USA RHY 2
Using a digital modeler instead of a Plexi for AC/DC tones is one thing, telling it other people another, but then using a Mesa Boogie model is enough :D !

Nice tone (judging from the 6 secs), though!!

PS: I still love the PLEXI 2 for Malcom'esque tones.

That was very good...I've been trying various approaches for this sound. My current approach is two amps, one totally clean, one just breaking up. Your patch sounds better tho!

If you get a chance to post the patch up that would be really helpful.

Muris_Varajic said:
Short but great, pure Malcolm wibe!
What guitar did you use btw, single coils?

Thanks for the props

The guitar used was a Malcolm Young Signature Model Gretsch with TV Jones TV Classic pickup in the bridge position and the neck pickup is empty (just like Mal).

RiF said:
archangel said:
I use the amp model called USA RHY 2
Using a digital modeler instead of a Plexi for AC/DC tones is one thing, telling it other people another, but then using a Mesa Boogie model is enough :D !

Nice tone (judging from the 6 secs), though!!

PS: I still love the PLEXI 2 for Malcom'esque tones.

yeah kinda weird using a MB for Mal's tone...but I really don't pay attention to the amp model labels in the Ultra so much as the sound and gain structure each one puts out and the MB sounded close to my ear so I used it...but you're right, its sacrilege thru and thru: digital model of MB for Mal...yikes

I think a part of why that MB amp sim works for me is my guitar, pickup, signal cable and XLR cable choices...I'm guessing my patch would sound different thru someone else's rig.

Actually glad you brought this up...it reminds me that one of the things that I like the most about the AXE is that in the digital world, there are no restraints...no rules or confined recipe's that have to be followed...no "right" or "wrong" answers. I used to be a cork-sniffin tube snob and never thought I'd be a digital guy...but the AXE is so cool in its flexibility...it can transcend the real world parameters and allow for the freedom to explore and experiment. It kinda reminds me of that movie THE MATRIX where the lead character (Noah) can transcend the physical restraints of the real world...the AXE is like that for me...it lives in a digital world that transcends the physical restraints and rules of tone that bind tube amps. I honestly think I've got the best tone of my life with the AXE...and I ain't on my honeymoon with it...I've owned it for 15 months and used it exclusively as my #1 for 13 months (ooops, sorry to run down a white rabbit trail...back on topic).

dirtypurple said:
That was very good...I've been trying various approaches for this sound. My current approach is two amps, one totally clean, one just breaking up. Your patch sounds better tho!

If you get a chance to post the patch up that would be really helpful.

IDK how to post up patch's...if I read up on the "how to" then I'll post it up and notify you. Do you have to use the software (AXE EDITOR) to do that?

You can use the editor as you can save the file to your disk and then mail.

Or if you have midi to a PC, you can pull the file from the Axe to your pc and then mail.

The bit I'm most interested in is your PEQ and Graphic Equaliser settings actually.

dirtypurple said:
You can use the editor as you can save the file to your disk and then mail.

Or if you have midi to a PC, you can pull the file from the Axe to your pc and then mail.

The bit I'm most interested in is your PEQ and Graphic Equaliser settings actually.

I keep my patches backed up on my PC via midi-ox...I can email you the patch if you shoot me your email

Back
Top Bottom