Shipping with USPS... Need to ship a guitar

scottp

Fractal Fanatic
Wondering if any of you have had good luck shipping a guitar through USPS?
I know the deal with UPS & FedEx they have been my go to for many years.

Only looking for feedback for USPS.
Thank you!

I never had an issue with USPS shipping a guitar domestically. I had a neck break on a Hamer shipped to Europe with USPS

I've shipped with USPS - no issues. Prices were (at the time) a little better than UPS/FedEx.
I tried them because I read an article about a shipping test - someone put some sensors in 3 boxes, and then shipped with all three carriers.
The USPS box had been dropped/bumped less times than UPS/FedEx boxes. Now, let's be honest - that was likely just the luck of the draw as to which people were touching the boxes, and not as much about the company...but it made me feel like it was ok to give USPS a shot, and all guitars were delivered without issue.

I reckon the core of the problem is, as always, how well are the people that handle your good paid? You pay minimum wage, you will get minimum performance.

No issues shipping guitars and other gear via USPS here either. No matter how you ship though, packing it properly is crucial.
Definitely.

Relax the strings, and pack the guitar firmly INSIDE the case so it doesn't move at all using bubble wrap, supporting the neck and body evenly from the top and bottom, then make sure the case doesn't move inside the shipping box.

Vibration and shock are the enemy. If you can hear anything move or shift inside the box or case when you shake the box hard then it's too loose. At the same time, over packing can be bad because it'll transmit those things too, so you want the padding to absorb shock but not shift around.

I used to pack equipment for shipping for the military and space programs and vibration and shock are the killers. I've received guitars with cracks in the body because they were packed so badly that they tore up the inside of the shipping box. Conversely, I've always been told my guitars arrived in perfect condition just because I used just enough to stop the motion but didn't jam the padding in there.

Fedex would be slightly better despite USPS being my #1 choice most of the time.

The size/weight would be priority and sometimes they throw them on planes and can get more damaged- fedex ground is always ground

As a professional shipper of heavier weights, myself, I can tell you that each of these carriers will lose, delay, or completely trash packages. It’s just what happens when you entrust people who carry millions of packages a day.

Going by the numbers, if the package is properly prepared, then damage is rare. But it’s not Picasso rare. We have had stuff delivered to us melted because the packages were sitting over a Fedex truck’s red-hot transmission all day before delivery, we have had stuff delivered in pieces (all carriers), and have had stuff delivered a full year after it shipped (that was a good one - USPS).. We see damage to stuff we receive all the time from rough transit and shoddy packaging.

But, youse gotta throw some logic at this thing, and cut these carriers some slack. These carriers, they handle too many packages to give a damn about yours. It’s up-to you to bomb-proof the package and protect the shipping label from damage. And, if what you are shipping is important at all, no matter who you ship with, insure the package.

I know this isn't for the OP, but I just wanted to let folks know that I have used parcelmonkey.com, and they pick the shipper at a discounted rate - usually Fed-Ex, for which I can drop my package off at a nearby Walgreens, who acts as a drop off location for Fed-Ex. Might save you on the shipping costs next time you ship. I have used them for amp heads and my ADA spilt-stack speakers (each boxed separately), and I saved my buyers a lot of money on the shipping.

protect the shipping label from damage
We used to keep a coffee can of 1:1 water and Elmer's white glue, and would paint some on the box, lay the label on top, then paint more of the mixture on top. When that dries it's protected from everything except damage to the cardboard itself, and is clear and the label is easily read.

As someone in Canada, USPS is my preference. UPS and FedEx like to charge exorbitant brokerage fees to import packages for you. I've never had an issue with them treating a package any worse than UPS or FedEx. Maybe they're slower by a day sometimes.

As for the Fees, $2000 USD it ~ $2500 CAD.
That's $375 HST for the import, and $150 for the duty if it's not made in North America.

On top of that $525, in order to do the import paperwork:
UPS has tried to charge >$200 (varies with price)
FedEx will charge $100 (varies with price)
USPS->Canada Post will charge flat rate $5 regardless of item value.
And going to fill out one sheet of paper myself is free.

Also, people are completely right about strategic packing being totally fine. Have you ever ordered a brand new guitar without case direct to you? They arrive in these thin boxes with tiny cubes of Styrofoam or double layers of cardboard for the strap button, sides of body, top of body horn, and around the neck. Literally enough to keep the edges of the body from shifting in transit and keep the headstock from banging into anything and nothing more.

As someone in Canada, USPS is my preference. UPS and FedEx like to charge exorbitant brokerage fees to import packages for you. I've never had an issue with them treating a package any worse than UPS or FedEx. Maybe they're slower by a day sometimes.

As for the Fees, $2000 USD it ~ $2500 CAD.
That's $375 HST for the import, and $150 for the duty if it's not made in North America.

On top of that $525, in order to do the import paperwork:
UPS has tried to charge >$200 (varies with price)
FedEx will charge $100 (varies with price)
USPS->Canada Post will charge flat rate $5 regardless of item value.
And going to fill out one sheet of paper myself is free.

Do you know about self clearing packages?

I always do it now if the broker fees are over $10.

Do you know about self clearing packages?

I always do it now if the broker fees are over $10.
Thanks, I may not have at that time, I forget when I first started doing it.

But it's still just a huge pain in the butt to have to
  1. Contact the shipping company and wait for them to send me the self clearing paperwork
  2. Contact them again after it reaches Canada because they usually don't like to provide it before it's cleared the border
  3. leave work mid-day with my paperwork to go to a CBSA
  4. End up paying the extra 6% duty UPS forgot to charge me because they didn't check that the instrument wasn't covered under NAFTA
  5. Email my proof of payment to the shipper to mark the COD as paid
  6. Have to flag the item as held for pickup or refuse delivery until the paperwork is done because they only send it to me 24 hours after it arrives in canada then mark it cleared 24 hours after I submit the proof of clearance.
    1. Have to explain to the guy at my door that I have the paperwork but he can't drop it with me yet because his system doesn't say it's paid yet until the head office people process it
  7. Have to then get it sent out for delivery again because "we no longer allowe customer pickups at our location after COVID"
So USPS is still my strong preference if available.

Thanks, I may not have at that time, I forget when I first started doing it.

But it's still just a huge pain in the butt to have to
  1. Contact the shipping company and wait for them to send me the self clearing paperwork
  2. Contact them again after it reaches Canada because they usually don't like to provide it before it's cleared the border
  3. leave work mid-day with my paperwork to go to a CBSA
  4. End up paying the extra 6% duty UPS forgot to charge me because they didn't check that the instrument wasn't covered under NAFTA
  5. Email my proof of payment to the shipper to mark the COD as paid
  6. Have to flag the item as held for pickup or refuse delivery until the paperwork is done because they only send it to me 24 hours after it arrives in canada then mark it cleared 24 hours after I submit the proof of clearance.
    1. Have to explain to the guy at my door that I have the paperwork but he can't drop it with me yet because his system doesn't say it's paid yet until the head office people process it
  7. Have to then get it sent out for delivery again because "we no longer allowe customer pickups at our location after COVID"
So USPS is still my strong preference if available.
Definitely sounds like my experience as well :D. USPS every time if I can.

The door guy if you have the paperwork generally will give me the package.

I've shipped many guitars w/ USPS in the states & have never had any problems.
I also pack my cases well & same w/ the boxes. Unfortunately shipping rates are through the roof, but you definitely cant skimp on packing.
Double box if you have the option & can afford it. Buy insurance & you've covered your bases.

I've used FedEx for international orders. I've sent a couple out to Switzerland & there haven't been any problems.
There shouldn't be any problems when you're paying $600 to get guitar delivered. Lol!!!

I don't have personal experience shipping guitars through USPS, but generally, USPS is considered reliable for shipping large and delicate items like guitars. It's essential to ensure the guitar is securely packed and possibly consider purchasing insurance for added security. USPS offers various shipping options and insurance coverages, which can provide peace of mind when shipping valuable items. However, experiences can vary, and it's always a good idea to check their latest policies and customer reviews for the most up-to-date information.

Here is a guide to shipping guitars, i think it will help you:
https://picktracking.com/how-to-ship-a-guitar-internationally-through-usps/

I've shipped lots of guitars all over the world using every major carrier at least a few times each. If I'm the one making the call it's going via USPS. Of course, I always over-pack for the worst, and short of running it over or crushing it in heavy machinery, the carrier can essentially throw it around all they want and it'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom