Shift everything when routing

More flexible routing

• I'm fine with swapping only.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Simone

Hi guys,

hasn't it ever happened to you, that you have a chain of a thousand effects, when you need to put a block right in front of it and you find yourself moving them one by one from the last backwards to the first? Wouldn't it be great to just shift them all in one step and be done?

So this is, in my view, a very easy modification, but sooo handy!

Here comes my suggestion, in a more articolate fashion.
Now we have the "move" action that, a bit counterintuitively IMHO, swaps "things" (effect blocks, rows or columns).
This could instead be split into two different actions:
- "swap", doing what now "move" does
- "shift", that moves everything from the selected point one step in the direction given

E.g. you want to place an eq right in between your cab and this long chain of effects with also parallel routing, you go to the first effect in the chain, do "shift column right" and you get a spare column there while everything right is shifted one step to the right.

Simone

PS: Vote!!!

I could see potential problems... What would happen if you had something in the last block already?

Man,

I could see that "problem" too, but is it really a problem? Let me explain, when that happens the following things might be done:
- shifting could be prohibited (ergo the risky option not even shown)
- the effects on the borderline could be removed automatically (I personally wouldn't do this)
- also shunt blocks might be taken into account, and collapsed when needed
then it's a matter of choice, which one of this action you'd like to have. I wouldn't mind the last one, for instance.
But in the moment you know what you're doing, and the effects of your actions, I wouldn't call it a "problem".

Simone

I don't understand ... it can be done already can't it?
Add the new effect behind all others, and then use Move to move just that one block to the first position. All others will be moved to the right automatically.

I think he is referring to parallel route or more complex chain... there was a pool some times ago, I remember...

I don't refer to more complex routing, only to a practical simplification (in my view), see the following scenario.

I don't remember how many columns the effects grid has, say 16.
I have 15 effects on the same lane, from the first column to the 15th (if you already own an Ultra, you know how easy it is to get carried away =P).
At that point I realize "hey, this will probably sound better if I put a compressor at the beginning of my signal chain!"
Then I would (currently) do so: I add the compressor in 16th position, switch page to the routing menu, select "move effect left" and click enter 15 times!

I admit that pressing repeatedly the same button is not that big deal, but I still wouldn't mind selecting an option "shift effects right" thus making room for my new one, in one click.

Simone

Simone said:
I don't refer to more complex routing, only to a practical simplification (in my view), see the following scenario.

I don't remember how many columns the effects grid has, say 16.
I have 15 effects on the same lane, from the first column to the 15th (if you already own an Ultra, you know how easy it is to get carried away =P).
At that point I realize "hey, this will probably sound better if I put a compressor at the beginning of my signal chain!"
Then I would (currently) do so: I add the compressor in 16th position, switch page to the routing menu, select "move effect left" and click enter 15 times!

I admit that pressing repeatedly the same button is not that big deal, but I still wouldn't mind selecting an option "shift effects right" thus making room for my new one, in one click.

Simone
Hang on... to move that 16th column block all the way to the left, all you need to do is to press and hold the enter button, and it moves it to the first column so quick you won't have time to notice. This, in my opinion, is much faster than the user interface that you would have to navigate if there *was* a function to shift multiple effect blocks (you would have to select the effect blocks, wouldn't you? ... otherwise how would the interface "choose" what you want to shift?).

That takes care of signal chains that are all in the same row (which is what you were concerned about). ALready covered with the existing capabilities, and it works flawlessly.

Quite some time ago, there was a wish-list item to allow proper shifting of columns in complex multi-row signal chains (*and* keeping all the connections). The current column shift does not retain connections on multiple rows. I believe the approach to date has been to assume the Editor would provide that functionality. I don't use the Editor, and therefore I would like to have the capability to insert columns without destroying my connections straight from the front panel. But I wanted to respond to this thread simply to indicate that the scenario you described (all effects in the same lane) is trivial, and the current capabilities on the Axe-FX are working beautifully in such a simple case.

Daniel

Ok, then consider the slightly different case where you still have 15 effects on the chain, and you need insert the new one in fourth position. You put it at the end, select "move effect left" press enter and...oops, I got carried away, the effect is in first position! Now I have to change to action "move effect right" and press enter three times, cause now I grew careful. Switching actions continously to me is more boring than deciding one and be done.

I think you're making this way more complicated than it really is. There's only soo many slots you'd want to shift a block through, and it's all repeated strokes on the same key. Nothing to it, and I use that technique all the time, no complaints. With a total of 12 columns in the grid (I just checked), just hit the key several times and watch your block to where you want.

Do you use an Axe-FX? Or are your questions theoretical, perhaps while you're deciding to purchase or not? This is really a non-issue, don't worry about it.

Shifting columns on a complex multi-row signal chain, on the other hand, is tedious. An option to address that would get my vote.

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

I do own an Ultra, an I raised the issue after repeatedly finding kinda cumbersome making place for new effects at the beginning of the line.
Indeed if you extend my scenario to swapping columns instead of single blocks, parallel links get lost in the way. My suggestion would preserve them.
Anyway, this is nothing personal man, I just thought the option could turn out useful to most, and it's actually non time-consuming to implement, I would do it myself if they let me =)

Once there are two dozen or so macros it is tedious to find what is unused and sometimes disasterous when accidentally assigning to an existing one.
I cannot find where this is if it is there.
It should be right at the point of trigger assignment.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom