Share your rig video

NMG

Experienced
I saw the offsprings rig rundown video which is just a axe fx and another midi control. Noticing the lack depth of information on the use of it in a lot of these rig video I thought I would be great to how everyone else is using there axe fx s, in a rig rundown video styley!

Why not make a video of your rig? Explain your controller setups and breakdown your presets to show how all the magic happens. Make the videos as pro as possible and include all the information as necessary to create an entertaining and informative watch for everyone here and YouTube.

Rather than a "yeah we use factual for everything..." Snippet.

Looking forward to watching them

N

Seems like a lot of work for content that unfortunately always ends up being boring. The Axe is totally awesome and revolutionized live performance, giving a consistent sound night after night, less gear to carry etc, BUT, the downside is that its also just a boring black box, with a boring foot controller.

It kind of killed off rig rundown type videos.

Used to be real interesting see what crazy pedals guys had, what amp heads, what cabs they were using etc. Lots of variability....

Now its Axe controlled by MFC (or similar) and 2 expression pedals.

Before it was what kind of crazy, rare $1000 on Ebay, "booteek" drive pedal was an artist using. Now its as boring as if they are using a spring loaded vs normal Mission EP1 pedal LOL

Exactly why I suggest a preset rundown. I'm interested to see how others manage their presets including scene use, more than one amp? How you manage tones across songs etc etc

Have you checked out Chris and Cooper's video's ? They have some really in-depth (to the point of being a bit hard to watch in one sitting lol) looks at different ways to do routings, controls scenes, set up series and parallel chains etc.

Really good information, not exactly entertaining, but informative and can help one get the most out of their Axe units

That serious is one of my favs. I like the idea but unfortunately I think the thread might drown :(

As promised. Here is a rig rundown of my rig with some samples. Pretty long video. I'll include time stamps if you'd like jump to specific presets.

0:00 Cab, power amp and IEM overview
4:22 - Clean sound, Main layout and blocks and Clean IR
19:55 AC30/crunch/U2 and Fender Blues sounds and IR
23:26 Rock Rhythm Guitar/Bonamassa sound and IR
29:33 High Gain/Van Halen Rhythm sound and IR
33:06 Lead sounds and IR

Last edited:
As promised. Here is a rig rundown of my rig with some samples. Pretty long video. I'll include time stamps if you'd like jump to specific presets.

4:22 - Clean sound, Main layout and blocks and Clean IR
19:55 AC30/crunch/U2 and Fender Blues sounds and IR
23:26 Rock Rhythm Guitar/Bonamassa sound and IR
29:33 High Gain/Van Halen Rhythm sound and IR
33:06 Lead sounds and IR

Really good video, thanks for sharing! :)

Agreed! Really good video - thanks for putting it together!

Interesting to see different approaches, for example not using scenes (at least not in the featured presets). So, a question Rosh, what do you do if a song needs to switch between a super clean, rock rhythm and lead sound? Do you build song-specific presets and use scenes? Thanks!

Also, perhaps I missed it, but what IR are you using for your AC30/U2 preset? Cheers.

@Rosh: Fantastic! I watched the whole vid, and found it informative. I actually really like this idea of doing rig-rundowns of people's Axe settings/patches. This was a really good perspective around setting up patches for maximum tonal variation for a hired-gun scenario.

Quick question -- in your patch names, there are numbers like "4/19" and "5/5". Are those dates of the last edit? Or do they refer to settings within the patch in some way?

Thanks for posting that!

Agreed! Really good video - thanks for putting it together!

Interesting to see different approaches, for example not using scenes (at least not in the featured presets). So, a question Rosh, what do you do if a song needs to switch between a super clean, rock rhythm and lead sound? Do you build song-specific presets and use scenes? Thanks!

Also, perhaps I missed it, but what IR are you using for your AC30/U2 preset? Cheers.

Yup, I just build song specific presets. I used to be a scenes guy, but basically it would eat up a TON of time in rehearsals to program my scenes, mainly because I would have to tell the drummer/playback guy "Ok on my midi track, put in Program change 33 CC# 12 with a value of bla bla bla". Nowadays I just go to my 5 basic presets, adjust what I need on the front panel, save that song specific into a new preset slot and go from there.

It's basically the old school "bradshaw method" where each bank of 5 presets will be one song and I'll just bank up to the next song and get another 5 presets in the set. If I have pro-tools or something doing my switching, Then I'll just let the DAW do my switching. I don't worry about gapless or seamless switching. The dropout between changing presets is pretty short nowadays that I haven't heard anyone complain about it in a long time.

It's not in the video, but it's the same IR (X/Y) as my "Clean" preset. The X value is Mesa Lonestar 2x12 57/121 Blend from Cab Pack 10 or the Y value is the stock 2x12 Lonestar with a M160 Mic. This IR is in the factory IRs.

Hey rosh, thanks for the video! Any chance you share these presets?

I'll post them up on the axechange later today. For obvious reasons I can't post the IRs but I'll be happy to walk you through how to make the blends in Cab Lab. They're mostly Cab pack 10 and Ownhammer IRs

@Rosh: Fantastic! I watched the whole vid, and found it informative. I actually really like this idea of doing rig-rundowns of people's Axe settings/patches. This was a really good perspective around setting up patches for maximum tonal variation for a hired-gun scenario.

Quick question -- in your patch names, there are numbers like "4/19" and "5/5". Are those dates of the last edit? Or do they refer to settings within the patch in some way?

Thanks for posting that!

Yup! I just date everything. I have backups on my laptop in case I ever need to go back.

Great job on the video Rosh. You are very informative and I didn't even mind the length of the video. I was surprised when I saw your routing and effects that you could keep your cpu under 90%. Good use of effects and x/y switching to help out with that for sure.

hey mate. cant get any of your presets you put up on axe exchange today. All settings are at zero for some reason. They are dead. Any ideas why?

I liked seeing this. More people should post these. Maybe a split screen, one on the axe edit screen, and then a screen that shows you playing the guitar or talking as well.
Sometimes actually seeing this stuff in axe edit makes more sense then just reading what people write about it.

Reactions: NMG
Back
Top Bottom