Shakra band guitar sound

Acidalia

Hello everyone,

I've been trying for some time to create a preset that sounds like the guitars of the band Shakra, a very good Swiss hard rock band, but with an amazing guitar production.

In the booklet of the albums they say they use Marshall and Fryette amps, in the live shows the two guitarists are seen with Marshall JVM 410, but I haven't managed yet to match the sound of the guitars in their albums. The JVM comes pretty close in tone, but I can't get the sound, Fryette doesn't seem to be at all, it has a sharper sound.

If any curious soul can help me find this sound, I would be very grateful, I've been at it for several weeks, many hours and have run out of ideas.

Here is a video of these guys for you to listen to:

Thanks in advance to all ;-)

Hello everyone,

I've been trying for some time to create a preset that sounds like the guitars of the band Shakra, a very good Swiss hard rock band, but with an amazing guitar production.

In the booklet of the albums they say they use Marshall and Fryette amps, in the live shows the two guitarists are seen with Marshall JVM 410, but I haven't managed yet to match the sound of the guitars in their albums. The JVM comes pretty close in tone, but I can't get the sound, Fryette doesn't seem to be at all, it has a sharper sound.

If any curious soul can help me find this sound, I would be very grateful, I've been at it for several weeks, many hours and have run out of ideas.

Here is a video of these guys for you to listen to:

Thanks in advance to all ;-)

They have a very specific sound
The is a very strong midrange
Likely they are boosting with something like the grinder
I think on the early records like rising high it was the ENGL savage
Which again has a very strong midrange with the contour on
I would probably try the Engl w the amp boost on or in the input block hit the front with a mid boost around 800-1000 hz by a few DB

True, they have a very specific sound.

Yesterday I was experimenting and I think it's not a matter of amplifier, cabinet or microphone, but of production.

I tried EQing with Neve and SSL EQ plugins and voila!!!!, I didn't get the exact sound, but I got very close.

It seems that the trick is there, use a "musical" equalizer to reinforce the frequencies, they are not exactly 1KHz, it's closer to 3-5KHz, at 1KHz they have a cut, but of course, this kind of equalizers are ideal to add dBs and it works...so I'm afraid that with the Axe you can't imitate that sound.

Sorry for my English, it's not my language and I use a translator, hahahahaha.

Thanks anyway for replying, I appreciate it.

Best regards ;-)

True, they have a very specific sound.

Yesterday I was experimenting and I think it's not a matter of amplifier, cabinet or microphone, but of production.

I tried EQing with Neve and SSL EQ plugins and voila!!!!, I didn't get the exact sound, but I got very close.

It seems that the trick is there, use a "musical" equalizer to reinforce the frequencies, they are not exactly 1KHz, it's closer to 3-5KHz, at 1KHz they have a cut, but of course, this kind of equalizers are ideal to add dBs and it works...so I'm afraid that with the Axe you can't imitate that sound.

Sorry for my English, it's not my language and I use a translator, hahahahaha.

Thanks anyway for replying, I appreciate it.

Best regards ;-)
I was playing at around with it a bit
I would definitely say there the Angle Severe 2 which is the Engl Savage model , if you watch the vid you can see one of them has an Engl. ( it’s kind of that Euro metal sound IMO
I would change the power tubes the
El34
Good luck

I was playing at around with it a bit
I would definitely say there the Angle Severe 2 which is the Engl Savage model , if you watch the vid you can see one of them has an Engl. ( it’s kind of that Euro metal sound IMO
I would change the power tubes the
El34
Good luck
It is true that the ENGL Savage is one of the amps they use, another one they also used is the Fryette, with which I was testing and they are currently using marshall JVM, which I think is the closest one.

I'll try the ENGL Savage again and change the tubes as you indicate, I'll let you know....

Thanks ;-)

Wow!!!

unix-guy you hit the nail on the head, I don't know how it hadn't crossed my mind, I've tried the Cab block preamps and indeed, I've come very close to the sound, I just need to tune it with EQ.

I have also played with proximity and smoothing and of course room air to get the sound.

I have done it with the JVM, which is the amp they currently use and the approximation is very good.

Randalljax, I haven't tried it with the ENGL, but I will do it too, although I think the sound of the Fryette is closer, but it's a matter of testing.

Then I produced it a bit in my DAW with some eq with Neve and almost nailed the sound.

I'll try the Axe EQ to see if I can get it closer and save some production work.

I'm attaching the preset, in case you're interested.

Thanks a lot to both of you for your help ;-)

Attachments

• Shakra JVM.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 16
Back
Top Bottom