Shadows Presets Cygnus 2021

Hi again Stratnvox,

Same result for me though - Distorted sound which is resolved by disabling the filter block, or removing the control from the filter gain.
I should add that it's no problem though~ I appreciate the effort! Just reporting in case someone else runs into it.

Thanks
Pauly

Thanks for that. I'll check again. it should be a very clean sound.
The attached preset for Guitar Tango is matched to the CAB which is based on a recording of a J200. The preset assumes the cab to be in User 1 #4. I have retained the Filter Block and the Gain control envelope update is set at slow. The unwanted crackle is not heard here which means it could be my hearing!
It is important to use the preset and CAB as a pair. Please report if you have further problems.

I’m glad you resolved your sound. It makes me wonder if your equipment is different to mine. I have the 1st series of AxeFX III. My OUTPUT 1 is into a Bose L1 compact FRFR.
May I ask others to try this preset (original or the latest) and report whether there is the output is distorted.
thanks

Last edited:
HI,
I have also listened to the preset, the crackling can be heard in the background. Whenever the value jumps up and then quickly changes direction, by the shwingen of the E-side. It is best heard when lightly playing the empty E-side.
By changing the update rate to fast, the crackling was gone.
1626971966801.png
I cannot perceive any overmodulation or distortion.
AXE-FX3 MK1

Pauly please check a used CAB, I had accidentally loaded the version from the IR folder instead of the syx files from OwnHammer.
With me everything sounds clear and clean with all pickup's

Last edited:
What cabs should be used in these?
Trying the Apache preset with different cabs sounds distorted.
Loaded back your old version of that preset with an AC20 cab sounds fine again.

Loaded back your old version of that preset with an AC20 cab sounds fine again.
I use the IRs from Ohwnhammer the Vintage set as recommended. OH212Blue..
But Ohwnhammer provides 2 folders with IRs, once unfiltered in the IR folder and once filtered IRs in the SYX folder.
With the unfiltered IRs sound everything always "schrabbellich" overdriven no matter how loud I play them.
After reading the readme I imported the syx files. Dive in the amp block something depending on pickup readjust. 3.40 Or via the input trim.
The IRs in the IR folder have more harmonics and depending on output sounds unclean.

What strings do you play? I play on .11-.56 250s from Fender.

I use the IRs from Ohwnhammer the Vintage set as recommended. OH212Blue..
But Ohwnhammer provides 2 folders with IRs, once unfiltered in the IR folder and once filtered IRs in the SYX folder.
With the unfiltered IRs sound everything always "schrabbellich" overdriven no matter how loud I play them.
After reading the readme I imported the syx files. Dive in the amp block something depending on pickup readjust. 3.40 Or via the input trim.
The IRs in the IR folder have more harmonics and depending on output sounds unclean.

What strings do you play? I play on .11-.56 250s from Fender.
I currently installed Rotoscoped Greys 13-54 with wound 'G'.

As you discovered, the SYX files from the OwnHammer collection are the one which I recommend. Given your comment about the IR versions, I'll try them by using CabLab 3 to adjust the gain and see if there is a difference..
Loaded back your old version of that preset with an AC20 cab sounds fine again
Please read the "readme" file about recommended CABS. If you already had CABS in User ! slots 1 to 4, my presets expect to find suitable CABS there. If the ones you have are not as recommended or other Celestion Blue based CABS, the result will be unknown.

If you wish to experiment and if you have purchased the OwnHammer pack as suggested, please try 'OH 112 VC15 BLU 87-D' for Apache. This sounds about right to me. It might also help to reduce "High Cut" to about 12,500Hz to remove some sharpness.

Last edited:
I currently installed Rotoscoped Greys 13-54 with wound 'G'.

As you discovered, the SYX files from the OwnHammer collection are the one which I recommend. Given your comment about the IR versions, I'll try them by using CabLab 3 to adjust the gain and see if there is a difference..

Please read the "readme" file about recommended CABS. If you already had CABS in User ! slots 1 to 4, my presets expect to find suitable CABS there. If the ones you have are not as recommended or other Celestion Blue based CABS, the result will be unknown.
Hi StratnVox

Thank you for your feedback and advice.

I use the OwnHammer Classic Triologi as described in your readme,
https://shop.fractalaudio.com/cab-pack-ownhammer-class-a-trilogy/
I can see from the date that these were created in 2017/08.
According to the attached readme to the OwnHammer IR is informed that the files .ir contain more harmonics and resonances.
Thereupon I have changed to the .syx.
Whereupon for me the sound is OK again.
1628099787471.png
What I have realized for me is that the listening volume should not be too low, because through this one is tempted to play the strings louder. And if it is exaggerated it sounds unpleasant when playing more than one string. Overdriven is not the right term. Rather resonances that are amplified and formed by the resonance. By using the .ir files this is amplified even more.

Since I also have a Q2 with EFTP I could compare this, the resonance mix of several strings can also be heard here, but a little more filtered or soothed by the reverb and EQ.
Not easy to describe.

Over the PA with appropriate playing your presets sound very good. TOP!!

I will have a look at your strings and test them if possible.

From my side thanks again for your advice, recommendations and for your great presets.

Last edited:
Hi StratnVox

Thank you for your feedback and advice.

I use the OwnHammer Classic Triologi as described in your readme,
https://shop.fractalaudio.com/cab-pack-ownhammer-class-a-trilogy/
I can see from the date that these were created in 2017/08.
According to the attached readme to the OwnHammer IR is informed that the files .ir contain more harmonics and resonances.
Thereupon I have changed to the .syx.
Whereupon for me the sound is OK again.
View attachment 86753
What I have realized for me is that the listening volume should not be too low, because through this one is tempted to play the strings louder. And if it is exaggerated it sounds unpleasant when playing more than one string. Overdriven is not the right term. Rather resonances that are amplified and formed by the resonance. By using the .ir files this is amplified even more.

Since I also have a Q2 with EFTP I could compare this, the resonance mix of several strings can also be heard here, but a little more filtered or soothed by the reverb and EQ.
Not easy to describe.

Over the PA with appropriate playing your presets sound very good. TOP!!

I will have a look at your strings and test them if possible.

From my side thanks again for your advice, recommendations and for your great presets.
Thanks for your comments and feedback. Yes, playing the strings loudly probably exceeds the limits of the A/D processor. There is also the Fletcher Munson effect at play because playing at low volume diminishes the treble tones.
I also owned EFTP on a Q2. Most of the information I used in these presets from research on the original equipment used during the recording of the Shadows hits.
My understanding was that the Neumann U47 microphone was part of the chain and used in the Abbey Road studios during the 1960s. The U87 of course is the nearest modern equivalent although there are some Its produced using U47 microphones.

This may be a stupid questions, but without the OwnHammer cabs, am I out of luck using these presets?
Hello KissTone,

3 things have shaped the sound of the Shadows.
The playing style of Hank Marvin.
The sound of the AC-15/30
And the echoes used.

The presets are genius and bring everything you need.

You can also assign others like the CABs available in the FX3 or FM3 for the AC-15 /30 or the 1x12 AC20 Far-feld B15 for example.

StratnVox has taken great effort to get as close as possible to the sound of the recording of the tracks.

You must decide for yourself whether you like the sound then.

Have fun

Hello KissTone,

3 things have shaped the sound of the Shadows.
The playing style of Hank Marvin.
The sound of the AC-15/30
And the echoes used.

The presets are genius and bring everything you need.

You can also assign others like the CABs available in the FX3 or FM3 for the AC-15 /30 or the 1x12 AC20 Far-feld B15 for example.

StratnVox has taken great effort to get as close as possible to the sound of the recording of the tracks.

You must decide for yourself whether you like the sound then.

Have fun
Thanks—I’ll try the AC20 B15 and see how that sounds.

I’m really looking forward to using these presets! I'm new to the Fractal world, and one of the things I had in mind before getting my Fractal was having patches for Shadows songs.

Last edited:
Odd. I'm getting a warning from my anti-virus software for some reason "This server could not prove that it is trevorandmarilyn.com; its security certificate expired 300 days ago. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection."

Odd. I'm getting a warning from my anti-virus software for some reason "This server could not prove that it is trevorandmarilyn.com; its security certificate expired 300 days ago. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection."
Thanks for the heads up about the site. I forgot to renew the SSL cert last year. It is now being done. I will post again when it is up again.

Back
Top Bottom