Seymour Duncan vs Bare Knuckle

Simone

Hi guys,

this is absolutely unrelated to the Axe Fx, but we all love every guitar related thingy, don't we? ;-)

So, I recently bought an Agile Interceptor Pro (Agile Interceptor Pro-B 725 EB Black Flame Duncan at RondoMusic.com), awesome guitar, really. But like most guitar players in here I'm as picky as hell, and of course there are a few minor problems (for me: for others might be features).

One, which is actually not that minor, is the pickups, two active Seymour Duncan Blackouts AHB1 phase 2. They might be good active pickups, but I'm just not cut for active, I guess. So here are the problems I can identify (useful to choose new pickups later):
1) way too much gain, cleans sound like broken crunch and distortion is too massive for articulated polyphonies
2) it might depend on the mahogany body more than the pups, but the sound is heavily unbalanced towards the lows: if I play an open chord with distortion, the higher notes get "drowned" in the sound of the lower ones
3) "background sounds" (don't know what to call them...for example, the sound of your palm blocking the strings when you stop) get amplificated a lot, at a level comparable to that of chords and solos. Notice that I'm not talking about ground noise
4) always distorted even when you turn the volume knob to the minimal audible, but that's typical of active pickups

So, assumed that these problems are all due to the pups (if you think otherwise, feel free to share), it's time to look for new pickups, that solve the above problems. So they should be passive, high gain still but much cleaner/clearer, emphasizing treble and mids (and taming lows!).
For now I have two possible brand choices (feel free to suggest more):
a) Seymour Duncan: JB 7 for the bridge, 59 for the neck
b) Bare Knuckle: Cold Sweat or Painkillers

I tried the Seymour Duncans some time ago, they seem very good pickups, silent, articulated and trebly as needed. Plus quite cheap (you can find 110 euros a pair).
Never tried the Bare Knuckles instead, they're hard to find. The cons are that, well, I can't know *really* how they actually sound, and they cost significantly more (about 230 euros a pair). The pros are that people are going nuts about them, and the clips you can hear around really stick out, they really seem to kick ass.

So, bottomline: do you guys wanna share your opinions?
Thanks!

Simone

Before losing the pickups try taking 63hz out of ur global eq all together, I have
blackouts ahb 1 and I use mark days newest incarnation of his global eq settings and it has helped me alot. I often take even more out of 250 and 500 with a peq or a graphic eq. Make sure ur pickups are at the correct hight and that keeping ur master low Like 3 on all of ur high gain patches. Dial out as much bass as u can in the standard eq before it's sound bad. Block the lows around 80hz and highs where u feel like they need to be cut. I have no problem with these pickups but did take me a bit to find what frequencies I needed to cutting a regular basis.

+1 on the 63Hz trick. Thanks Mark!

I use the AHB3 and I put back the 63Hz to taste on the EQ block. I still need to adjust the height on the neck pickup. It just does not sound right! Almost flubby. The bridge one is awesome!

Before losing the pickups try taking 63hz out of ur global eq all together, I have
blackouts ahb 1 and I use mark days newest incarnation of his global eq settings and it has helped me alot. I often take even more out of 250 and 500 with a peq or a graphic eq. Make sure ur pickups are at the correct hight and that keeping ur master low Like 3 on all of ur high gain patches. Dial out as much bass as u can in the standard eq before it's sound bad. Block the lows around 80hz and highs where u feel like they need to be cut. I have no problem with these pickups but did take me a bit to find what frequencies I needed to cutting a regular basis.

Thanks man, I'll give it a shot and let you know if that eases the problem.
In the meantime, opionions on the pickups?

I use the Bare Knuckles in my Warmoth Mahogany strat. Specifically the Cold Sweats in the bridge and neck. Love them....fat, articulate, smooth, and snappy/percussive. Scatter wound is the shiznit!

I've tried a ton of duncans and dimarzios. I never found one I loved but I've tried 3 bare knuckles models and all 3 are awesome in their own way. To me bare knuckles just sound bigger and richer I can't get technical but to my ears they rule

I use Bare Knuckle piledrivers in my Tele and they are great, I'm looking to get some for my Burny LP too. I would suggest giving Tim @ Bare Knuckle a call and having a chat to him, tell him what you're looking for and he'll give you his suggestion.

Bare Knuckles for me too. i have Irish Tours in my Strat, Mules in one of my PRSs and Crawlers in the other. There all Alnico though - so while clear wont get you the tight lows so well.

the Cold Sweats are Glorious, if a little toppy for me - though from your description may suit you. The Ceramic Nailbombs are awsome as well for what you want. Never tried the Painkillers. Holydivers are my favourite "hot" PU, just over the Crawlers but agian there alnico and on the darker side tonally.

Never found a pair of SDs I like - and Ive tried loads, id rather use DiMazios

I have Bill Lawrence L-500xl on the bridge and L-500R on the neck. Sounds pretty awesome to me. High gain but transparent - it allows the character of the guitar to come out. The cleans are great too. I got this from Bill Lawrence: Musician, Designer, Craftsman

They are a pretty small shop so keep trying to contact them if you can't the first time. Try these pickups. They are less than $60 each. I've been to their shop in person twice - nice people. And Bill Lawrence is one of the most knowledgeable person out there in terms of pickups.

I love the hand-wound p/ups that Chris Hernandez builds to order. Great guy great p/ups and prices, he builds your dreams to order- chrisdher@yahoo.com give him a call. His vintage strat sets are the talk of all my customers who have them fitted.

Back
Top Bottom