Seymour Duncan tech support

jyflorida

Power User
Just wondering if anyone has had to deal with them and what your experiences were. I've sent two emails over the last several days regarding P-Rails pickup wiring (the configuration I need isn't shown on their website) and can't get an answer.

I've had absolutely fantastic support from them. I had a problem with a pickup from them once and emailed them about what my options were, as in how much for a rewind or repair (the pickup was several years old) and instead they sent me a brand new pickup! Can't beat that!

I don,t really use there pickups ,but once I picked up a guitar with some of there older active pickup, called to ask where I could get the volume pots and they sent me two. That was pretty nice of them:encouragement: If not answering e-mail ,call them

Jy, Call them. certain times are better than others but they are spot on with with answers and the product rocks! I have Joe Bonamassa pups in a LP and love them and had the 'Whole lotta hum buckers' which were kiiiiiler too!

Well, that was unpleasant. Called 'em stating that I need help with wiring the pups with a 5-position switch and two coil taps on an HSH configuration, and that that particular configuration wasn't in their P-Rails wiring diagrams - just 3-position configs are shown. Was told in so many words "if it ain't there, we don't support it". I thanked the guy and got off the phone. Ok, well in that case, I don't need their pickups either. Bought them from Musician's Friend and there's no problem returning them. A shame since these can be switched as single coil, P90, and humbuckers. I was just going to set them up for P90 / humbucker. Oh well, there are other brands to check out. Thanks again for the assistance.

You probably need a super switch 5 position that Ibanez uses to automatically split it how you need to. Those are great pickups and you can get the combinations you want. I'd look up resources on the web. Like I said, you'll need the right special strat switch and probably have to jumper it somewhere somehow to get the splits to work right.

Just saw the additional posts, and thanks for all the help. Unfortunately, they're already on their way back to Musician's Friend. VERY disappointed in SD's attitude and support. Makes me wonder about the company's products in general. Tempted to write a snail-mail letter but I'd probably get the same results as the email letters. I emailed DiMarzio asking if they can recommend a humbucker that has a P-90ish tone when split.

Just saw the additional posts, and thanks for all the help. Unfortunately, they're already on their way back to Musician's Friend. VERY disappointed in SD's attitude and support. Makes me wonder about the company's products in general. Tempted to write a snail-mail letter but I'd probably get the same results as the email letters. I emailed DiMarzio asking if they can recommend a humbucker that has a P-90ish tone when split.

Hey bro, I am sorry to hear about this. Still, this posts sounds a bit ...incomplete I don't know if it is, but it sounds that way.
SD is stellar company as reported multiple times times on this thread. They consistently provide above and beyond customer service. Who did you talk to?
I know all of the techs as SD and I will show them this thread and get it resolved for you. (I have a very long history with the company)

And as far as their products, they truly speak for themselves. Its a no brainer if you want quality and great tone.
It sounds like you let a great pickup opportunity slip you by. I am not sure why though and I can guarantee nobody at SD had that intent or would be happy about it. Few companies care for their customers as much. Fractal is likely the exception.

BTW, There is nothing like a P-rails on the market so I do hope you find a great pickup for yourself. Cheers~

What is lacking in my post? After 2 unsuccessful emails for help in wiring up a couple pickups, and a post on the user forum, I called and and got a less-than-helpful response. After that I did the "contact us" again asking this time for an RMA to return the product directly to them so as to avoid a restock fee with Musician's friend. Shortly after that, I noticed they have a 21-day trial period which in my case is expired - they're unopened since I planned on installing them in my new axe once it arrives in a couple weeks. So I called MF and there was no problem returning the items.

Actually I went ahead and faxed a letter to the "contact us" fax number a bit ago summarizing what happened. It's "after the fact" at this point but I didn't get the name of the tech I spoke with - never thought to write it down. I appreciate the offer to resolve, but at this point, it is resolved as the stuff has been shipped back. As far as an opportunity slipping by, to me a company is only as good as its support, so in my case I just chalked it up to a "lessons learned" thing. My fax was very polite (being rude gets you nowhere fast) but factual and states in no uncertain terms that I'm very dissatisfied with their service. With luck, the right feathers will get ruffled and it won't happen to somebody else.

Just wondering if anyone has had to deal with them and what your experiences were. I've sent two emails over the last several days regarding P-Rails pickup wiring (the configuration I need isn't shown on their website) and can't get an answer.

Hey there, really sorry about that. We love helping folks but our email has been having trouble the last twenty four hours so yours may have been included in that. We would have been happy to exchange them even after the 21 day period for you. It's true we don't have wiring diagrams for every possible combination but we do have quite a few and if you give us a call we do have a wiring guru who can help talk you through or draw you a schematic for it. Sorry that you were told we don't support it - we try our best to do lots of wiring diagrams (in fact we have the biggest library wiring diagram library around) but it would have been better if the person who was talking to you had referred you to our in-house wiring wizard. We also have tons of articles on the Duncan blog which show you how to wire up the P-Rails in different ways.

If you decide to get them again or get another Duncan product and need assistance, just shoot me a PM and I'll help you out personally.

-Scott Olson
Manager at Seymour Duncan

What is lacking in my post? After 2 unsuccessful emails for help in wiring up a couple pickups, and a post on the user forum, I called and and got a less-than-helpful response. After that I did the "contact us" again asking this time for an RMA to return the product directly to them so as to avoid a restock fee with Musician's friend. Shortly after that, I noticed they have a 21-day trial period which in my case is expired - they're unopened since I planned on installing them in my new axe once it arrives in a couple weeks. So I called MF and there was no problem returning the items.

Actually I went ahead and faxed a letter to the "contact us" fax number a bit ago summarizing what happened. It's "after the fact" at this point but I didn't get the name of the tech I spoke with - never thought to write it down. I appreciate the offer to resolve, but at this point, it is resolved as the stuff has been shipped back. As far as an opportunity slipping by, to me a company is only as good as its support, so in my case I just chalked it up to a "lessons learned" thing. My fax was very polite (being rude gets you nowhere fast) but factual and states in no uncertain terms that I'm very dissatisfied with their service. With luck, the right feathers will get ruffled and it won't happen to somebody else.

'Incomplete' just meant the scenario doesn't add up to typical SD service or customer care. Nothing against the validity of your experience, it is not in question. No 'feathers need to be ruffled' nor I can't imagine they will be. This isn't standard protocol, mindset or intent of the company as is evidence by this thread and the common above and beyond experiences. Even with mature and experienced CS I am sure it will certainly happen again as stuff happens sometimes even with good people. It even happens here on occasion. Anything can happen on occasion, but there are few companies as integral as SD and if you want extremely great tone and long term service, they are worth a second look IMO. And no success on the user board? None? No replies? That is odd. Usually there many users anxious to help! Anyway, I wish you success with whomever you choose. Cheers!~

'Incomplete' just meant the scenario doesn't add up to typical SD service or customer care. Nothing against the validity of your experience, it is not in question. No 'feathers need to be ruffled' nor I can't imagine they will be. This isn't standard protocol, mindset or intent of the company as is evidence by this thread and the common above and beyond experiences. Even with mature and experienced CS I am sure it will certainly happen again as stuff happens sometimes even with good people. It even happens here on occasion. Anything can happen on occasion, but there are few companies as integral as SD and if you want extremely great tone and long term service, they are worth a second look IMO. And no success on the user board? None? No replies? That is odd. Usually there many users anxious to help! Anyway, I wish you success with whomever you choose. Cheers!~

The only reply on the user board so far was from someone who misunderstood my question - he thought I wanted additional options on the 5-position switch in addition to the Triple Shot rings. That was one of the things that prompted me to post on their user board - several questions were answered by their tech support people directly. I probably did just fall through the cracks but from my perspective it did seem like it didn't matter to them - unanswered emails, a less-than-stellar phone call, no CS replies to a board posting - it does add up to a poor impression of the company as a whole. I am pleased however, that Scott Olson addressed the incident. Very nice of him to do that!

Hey there, really sorry about that. We love helping folks but our email has been having trouble the last twenty four hours so yours may have been included in that. We would have been happy to exchange them even after the 21 day period for you. It's true we don't have wiring diagrams for every possible combination but we do have quite a few and if you give us a call we do have a wiring guru who can help talk you through or draw you a schematic for it. Sorry that you were told we don't support it - we try our best to do lots of wiring diagrams (in fact we have the biggest library wiring diagram library around) but it would have been better if the person who was talking to you had referred you to our in-house wiring wizard. We also have tons of articles on the Duncan blog which show you how to wire up the P-Rails in different ways.

If you decide to get them again or get another Duncan product and need assistance, just shoot me a PM and I'll help you out personally.

-Scott Olson
Manager at Seymour Duncan

Thank you Scott. I appreciate you addressing the situation.

OK, after sleeping on it (literally) I decided to give SD another shot. It meant a lot that Scott Olson reached out to address the situation - on this board no less. Plus his explanation was completely understandable - businesses depend on computers so much that when a problem occurs, it can cost them in a big way. One suggestion I'd make is that when (you know it will!) that sort of thing happens again, maybe post a message on the "contact us" page stating that due to technical problems, email response will be delayed. Tech problems suck and will continue to happen from time to time. Thanks again to Scott and THR for helping out.

Back
Top Bottom