Seymour Duncan PS170 vs Fryette Powersation

I use a PS700 and its been great. I do appreciate the 3 band EQ and the input jacks on the front. Its made for the performing musician.
Easy room tweaks, and easy to run cables from the floor up to the power amp without winding around the cab(s).
I play small places and am not mic'd half the time so bringing two 1x12 cabs and placing them a bit apart really makes the stereo field fun.

The tube amps I play don't sound or feel inherently better and they weigh a lot more and are certainly more fragile.

Last edited:
I can't provide any input on the Powerstage units but, with all the extra functions on the Fryette, it along with the FM3 are the 2 best purchases I have ever made regarding amplification.

I have used SD ps170, orange pedal baby 100, crowne 800, presently running a fryette PS2 50w.
For me the fryette is superior to the ss units.
I push a 2x12 frfr mission engineering cab. The flexibility is also nice. I realize the fm3 has a lot of power tube choices, the unit is flooded with redundancy (eq, db, etc. n almost every block). Seeing as I use a parametric block and eq on amp and drive blocks
I like using the power tubes of the PS2, after fiddling with the power tubes in the fm3 I inevitably end up with the warmth and touch I want out of the 6L6’s on the ps2.
I always found the ss units to be a tad “harsh” sounding. Sorry for the poor description. A bite to them.
The PS2 is the best I’ve used to date.

Old thread, but just wondering what your takeaway was in this comparison? Obviously you landed on the LXII but just how much better was it?
At volume, the LXII is significantly better. Low volume it’s moderately better. There is a definite difference with tube power and it increases exponentially with volume.
As the above post from @tmingle said, if you match an FM3 up with the LXII you will find what you’re looking for. It’s exactly like playing through an all analog rig.

At volume, the LXII is significantly better. Low volume it’s moderately better. There is a definite difference with tube power and it increases exponentially with volume.
As the above post from @tmingle said, if you match an FM3 up with the LXII you will find what you’re looking for. It’s exactly like playing through an all analog rig.
Thanks for the info. I am running a 2/50/2 currently and was debating downgrading to a Duncan to free up some $$$ but keep stereo. Was hoping to justify it, but your experience is what I will likely run into as well, and the remorse will kick in...

Thanks for the info. I am running a 2/50/2 currently and was debating downgrading to a Duncan to free up some $$$ but keep stereo. Was hoping to justify it, but your experience is what I will likely run into as well, and the remorse will kick in...
I used to use a 2/90/2 so I get where you’re coming from.

I wanted to be able to enable the power amp modeling on the AxeFX. When I play through the 2/90, I disable power amp modeling, and sounds like the correct preamp, but while always using the power section of the 2/90 instead of the power section of the selected amp.
With the LXII it sounds like the full amp, pre and power, be it a Marshall, a boogie, a Fender, etc…

Last edited:
What I would recommend when using the PS 170:

Always turn the preamp AND poweramp modeling on.
It sounds way more realistic and makes the overall sound more dynamic and compensates the missing dynamics of the PS 170.
Sorry, resuming an old post here: is this still accurate? should i keep the cab sim on when sending guitar signal from out2 of my FM3 to a powerstage 170 and then to a real 212 cab? i assumed the cab sim should be off with this setup. thanks in advance!

Sorry, resuming an old post here: is this still accurate? should i keep the cab sim on when sending guitar signal from out2 of my FM3 to a powerstage 170 and then to a real 212 cab? i assumed the cab sim should be off with this setup. thanks in advance!
Yes, when sending to a real cab, turn off the cab sim for that output. You only need it on for outputs that might be going to studio monitors, an FRFR speaker or PA system.

Back
Top Bottom