Seymour Duncan Power Stage 700 with Ax Fx 3

Rodgero

Anyone using Seymour Duncan Power Stage 700 solid state flat amp with Axe FX 3 into their favorite guitar cabinets? How are you using cabinet blocks? Modeling "off" or sometimes "On" with Ideal tweaking? Anyone using cabinet modeling with good results. Are there custom presets from others using a stereo pair of Mesa Boogie 2 x 12 cabinets? I'm also interested in buying great customized presets. Appreciate all comments and opinions.

I think most here would prob disable cabinet modelling altogether with this setup.

You can do it by either not including (or bypassing) the cabinet block on a specific path, or, disable cabinet modelling globally via the settings.

That's me. A great combo. No reason to use cab modeling on the PS700.
I'm usually going to proper guitar cabs. I have Mesa 1, 2 and 4x12 cabs though I often go with the 2x12 for gigs.
The 1x12 is a serious winner it's honestly my fav of all of them for tone. I could see using two at a gig.
(I also love Creambacks but that's a mono setup I don't use the PS700 for.)

I always leave the power amp modeling on but turn cab modeling off.
I find the EQ on the 700 to be helpful for getting the sound you want at different volumes.
At lower volumes I bump the bass a little to get some thump, but then go to flat when I'm at stage volume.
I also tend to shave a hair off the highs when I'm at stage volume in indoor clubs.

I think most here would prob disable cabinet modelling altogether with this setup.

You can do it by either not including (or bypassing) the cabinet block on a specific path, or, disable cabinet modelling globally via the settings.
I thought you had to have a Cabinet Block in the Axe FX 3 signal chain in order to hear the guitar signal output? This is where I get confused --What good does adding a cabinet block if you turn cabinet modeling OFF......does this mean that any selection (over 200 cabinets) of a Cabinet Block in the signal chain will sound the same with Cabinet Modeling OFF?

That's me. A great combo. No reason to use cab modeling on the PS700.
I'm usually going to proper guitar cabs. I have Mesa 1, 2 and 4x12 cabs though I often go with the 2x12 for gigs.
The 1x12 is a serious winner it's honestly my fav of all of them for tone. I could see using two at a gig.
(I also love Creambacks but that's a mono setup I don't use the PS700 for.)

I always leave the power amp modeling on but turn cab modeling off.
I find the EQ on the 700 to be helpful for getting the sound you want at different volumes.
At lower volumes I bump the bass a little to get some thump, but then go to flat when I'm at stage volume.
I also tend to shave a hair off the highs when I'm at stage volume in indoor clubs.
This is where I get confused --What good does adding a cabinet block if you turn cabinet modeling OFF......does this mean that any selection (over 200 cabinets) of a Cabinet Block in the signal chain will sound the same with Cabinet Modeling OFF? Can you share your setup for using 2 Mesa Boogie cabinets (two 2 x 12's) cabinets in a stereo configuration with Powerstage 700 and Axe Fx 3? Really appreciate your sharing and experience.

This is where I get confused --What good does adding a cabinet block if you turn cabinet modeling OFF......does this mean that any selection (over 200 cabinets) of a Cabinet Block in the signal chain will sound the same with Cabinet Modeling OFF? Can you share your setup for using 2 Mesa Boogie cabinets (two 2 x 12's) cabinets in a stereo configuration with Powerstage 700 and Axe Fx 3? Really appreciate your sharing and experience.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I don't use a cab block in the AF3 when I'm outputting to real guitar cabs. It would sound muffled.
If you bypass the cab block in a preset it turns that block off, meaning it doesn't change your sound. That way you can leave it in for when you need it, like if you are recording direct to a computer later. You can do this per preset, or you can do it globally for all presets at once.

Some people get a little fancy and split their signal chain to output1 and output2 that way they can send one output2 on the AF3 with the cab block to front of house / PA and send output1 to their guitar cab without the cab block in the signal path. Remember, each output block can be mono or stereo to the physical outputs.

It's easy t use the PS700 and two cabinets. You don't even need to do anything special really.
I go guitar -> AF3 guitar input on front panel -> AF3 (output block that corresponds to the real output jacks you are using) > PS700 inputs and then PS700 outputs (the green ones on the back) to two cabs.

Note: If you have XLR to 1/4" cables you can go output1 pair on the AF3 to the inputs on the PS700

If you only have 1/4" cables you can use output 3 or 4, as they aren't XLR. Remember the output block in your preset must correspond to the physical output number you are using in the real world. All the presets are setup for output 1.

EXCEPT There is a neat trick in I/O config menu you can do to copy output1 to any other output like 2,3,4. This way you don't have to redo the stock presets with other output blocks to use different physical jacks. Read about it here...

copy-output-1-to-output-3-in-the-i-o-menu.145018

Note: If you have XLR to 1/4" cables you can go output1 pair on the AF3 to the inputs on the PS700
If you only have 1/4" cables you can use output 3 or 4, as they aren't XLR. Remember the output block in your preset must correspond to the physical output number you are using in the real world. All the presets are setup for output 1.

For Axe FX 3 Stereo configuration, wouldn't it be better to use the Output 1 Humbuster left and right in Axe FX 3 using the Fractal Audio Humbuster Cables which reduces hum instead of using Outputs 3 & 4. Or is a XLR to 1/4 cable the same as a Fractal Audio Humbuster cable TRS to TS cable.

I've never tried that but seems like it would be good.
I've never had noise problems with any outputs fwiw.
Using reasonably shielded, non-damaged cables is the only critical thing IME.

When I record I use the digital outputs.

I've never tried that but seems like it would be good.
I've never had noise problems with any outputs fwiw.
Using reasonably shielded, non-damaged cables is the only critical thing IME.

When I record I use the digital outputs.
I think a factory stock XLR to 1/4 inch cable is the same as the Humbuster FAS TRS to TS cable. Are you using AES digital outputs when you record? Can you share your recording setup? For recording into a DAW, do you think using USB cable is the best way--seems like the FAS USB app enables lots of options in routing/reamping when using DAW. Appreciate your comments and opinions--you have been so helpful. I'd like to hear any of your AF3 recordings/snips if tat is available to share.

USB is a great, easy way to record. It's what I've done to date. USB to my Mac mini into Logic.

The only downside with USB I've found is you can't have Axe-Edit open while recording.
You will spontaneously have problems if you do. Too much traffic on the same connection it seems. So make your edits with Axe-Edit, close it and then do your recording. My AF3 is on my desk so I can always use the front panel for tweaks.

This is why some people use SPDIF though. They love the editor and want it open while recording. I am told you can leave Axe-Edit going over USB and then record via SPDIF and never have a conflict. I literally just got some SPDIF cables in the mail today and will be trying that out this weekend. SPDIF setup is a little finickier than USB but seems doable. I'll let you know how that goes.

USB is a great, easy way to record. It's what I've done to date. USB to my Mac mini into Logic.

The only downside with USB I've found is you can't have Axe-Edit open while recording.
You will spontaneously have problems if you do. Too much traffic on the same connection it seems. So make your edits with Axe-Edit, close it and then do your recording. My AF3 is on my desk so I can always use the front panel for tweaks.

This is why some people use SPDIF though. They love the editor and want it open while recording. I am told you can leave Axe-Edit going over USB and then record via SPDIF and never have a conflict. I literally just got some SPDIF cables in the mail today and will be trying that out this weekend. SPDIF setup is a little finickier than USB but seems doable. I'll let you know how that goes.
Thank you FPFL-- such great information. I've heard that Mac/Logic users have problems---I wonder if PC users on Ableton/Presonus have the same issues with USB and having Axe Edit open while recording. How do you connect the SPDIF?--is it thru your DAW interface or thru a computer card/SPDIF port--- do you need to download a SPDIF Fractal app in order to record using SPDIF? Are there any video tutorials on SPDIF recording?

I have not heard of this problem. I know Mac users using SPDIF from the AF3, some here even.
Mac is the more popular platform for audio and video editing for many years.
SPDIF is an old standard, I'm confident it can be made to work on virtually anything with a little patience!

I have a lovely MOTU Ultralite MK5 sound card with SPDIF in/out ports.
Once I get it working I'll let you know.

Searching on this forum will get you a lot of info.
Remember the XLR outputs are also great. I'm only not using those b/c I can tuck the SPDIF cable behind my desk and keep it neater.

It’s not.
They are different connectors but TRS typically has the same balanced audio specs as balanced XLR. Are you saying the output levels on Axe FX 3 XLR output 1 is different than the output level of Humbuster Output 1?

OK @Rodgero I'll got SPDIF working from the AF3 to my Mac.
It "just worked" with Reason but I was having problems with Logic I haven't sorted out yet.

I'll admit, never having set up SPDIF myself before I didn't realize I was going to need two cables!
I thought output from the AF3 to input of the MOTU card would be enough, but it wasn't happy until there were two cables and bi-directional communication. Yes, probably obvious for the "clock" aspect of it, go ahead and tease me, but we learn by trying and failing and trying again!

I used the settings I found on this forum by searching "spdif" for setup -> menu -> I/O

They were...

On the AF3
Word clock was Internal.
Digital Input Source was SPDIF.
SPDIF Out Source Output1.
Crucially Input 1 Source needs to stay Analog.

On my Sound Card
The Clock Source was SPDIF and
The Sample Rate was 48000

Each sound card is its own thing but those two settings are probably universal.
The sound card has to be at 48000, as the AF3 is hard wired to that.

Then, depending on your sound card you have to figure out what inputs in the DAW are mapped to the SPDIF input.
For me, it's #11 and #12 (for stereo of course!) but they can be anything else, depending on your hardware and software.

I haven't had time to actually record yet. I need to get the song template right.

It "just worked" with Reason but I was having problems with Logic I haven't sorted out yet.

I'll admit, never having set up SPDIF myself before I didn't realize I was going to need two cables!
I thought output from the AF3 to input of the MOTU card would be enough, but it wasn't happy until there were two cables and bi-directional communication. Yes, probably obvious for the "clock" aspect of it, go ahead and tease me, but we learn by trying and failing and trying again!

I used the settings I found on this forum by searching "spdif" for setup -> menu -> I/O

They were...

On the AF3
Word clock was Internal.

On my Sound Card

Then, depending on your sound card you have to figure out what inputs in the DAW are mapped to the SPDIF input.
For me, it's #11 and #12 (for stereo of course!) but they can be anything else, depending on your hardware and software.

I haven't had time to actually record yet. I need to get the song template right.
Awesome info--thank you for all the research you did. I'm on several DAW forums, and I see so many guys have problems with Logic Pro X working with other 3rd party hardware and software.......there are so many finicky aspects to Logic Pro X but it is the best DAW for Apple computers. I see a lot of top film composers using Cubase...... but for Trap and Hip Hop producers-- Ableton and FL Studio DAW's dominate. I prefer Presonus Studio One. Each of these DAW's have their own unique workflow capabilities......it really comes down to the intuitive comfort level of your workflow....for me Melodyne Studio/Scalar 2 and Impact Drum Sampler sync in my DAW for very intuitive creative workflow that works for me.......I'm so excited to integrate AX FX 3 into my DAW workflow. Thank you so much for the great research you did.

They were...

On the AF3
Word clock was Internal.

On my Sound Card

PS-- Im really interested to learn how your recording sessions go with SPDIF and comparing it to USB. Doesn't the USB app when opened in your DAW allow for more flexible AX FX 3 routing whereas with SPDIF it doesn't handshake directly with AXE FX 3 Routing options.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I don't use a cab block in the AF3 when I'm outputting to real guitar cabs. It would sound muffled.
If you bypass the cab block in a preset it turns that block off, meaning it doesn't change your sound. That way you can leave it in for when you need it, like if you are recording direct to a computer later. You can do this per preset, or you can do it globally for all presets at once.

Some people get a little fancy and split their signal chain to output1 and output2 that way they can send one output2 on the AF3 with the cab block to front of house / PA and send output1 to their guitar cab without the cab block in the signal path. Remember, each output block can be mono or stereo to the physical outputs.

It's easy t use the PS700 and two cabinets. You don't even need to do anything special really.
I go guitar -> AF3 guitar input on front panel -> AF3 (output block that corresponds to the real output jacks you are using) > PS700 inputs and then PS700 outputs (the green ones on the back) to two cabs.

EXCEPT There is a neat trick in I/O config menu you can do to copy output1 to any other output like 2,3,4. This way you don't have to redo the stock presets with other output blocks to use different physical jacks. Read about it here...

copy-output-1-to-output-3-in-the-i-o-menu.145018
so are you using AX FX 3 XLR Output 1 to 1/4 inch cable going into Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700 Input? Or are you using regular 1/4 inch cable in AXE FX 3 Output 3 & 4 to Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700 Input?

Back
Top Bottom