Seymour BlackOuts with the Axe

Zman

Inspired
I just got a set of Seymour Blackouts and for a test I took out my bridge pickup in my 1970 Black Gibson Les Paul Custom and dropped it in and plugged into my axe through my studio monitors and started noodling Wow! fricken Awesome! Smooth tone very smooth tone. I had to EQ the amp sim differently to cut bass and midrange and boost the treble more but still smooth and quiet damn they are not kidding quitest pickup i ever heard. my top two strings are bit overly bassy still but I am using 10-60 ZW strings I am going to switch to lighter like 10-52 and I am going to take my emg wiring out and put in the Blackout included pots etc and put the neck pickup in too. Fricken awesome. Be honest I was inspired by Mark Day's You tube videos his tone is the shit and everything he plays has blackouts so finally thought I would give them a try. Tempted to try them in my Gibson Zakk Wydle Custom but that might be sacrilege. But I definetly put them in all my other pauls. Might put this set in one of my other pauls and get the gold ones for my black custom.

My patch setup for clean for my Emg's I just cut some bass and added some treble not really tweeked more then that and it sounds as good or better then my Emg's.
I imagine can sound better it seems these pickups give you wider sweet spot easier to dial in I didnt do alot of tweaking i just played untill my fingers tired and sure with some real tweaking I can imagine how good the cleans the heavy tones will get.

hankstone said:
I've got Aldrich pu's in my Suhr Modern but am tempted to try the blackouts as well...
I've been looking at those Aldrich pickups too. How do you find them?

I have a Bare Knuckle VHII in my mahogany-bodied Custom Shop Strat. It's nice but too loose in the bottom and too forward in the midrange for playing Metallica and Zakk Wylde stuff. Looking for a good alternative... not necessarily actives.

They are hot pu's for sure. But I see pu's the way I see wine, either I like or I don't. U'd have to ask someone who knows how to sniff a cork about the mids and all. I do think they can do pretty much everything. They split well and clean up with the vol knob...

I have Blackouts in my Schecter Blackjack. They are the best pickups i've ever tried and now that i'm used to them, passive don't even come close. My other 'goto' guitar was my Ibanez and that has a Tone Zone in the Bridge and Air Norton in the neck. It simply just doesn't compare now for me with the Blackouts. I'm quite a gain freak so they are perfect for me and they have push the input hard. However, i also love shimmering cleans too and i can also get those tones with the Blackouts. I normally use the Brownface model for cleans. They are more or less perfect..for me anyway.

Back
Top Bottom