Setup Question

Robbie Boyette

Inspired
I'm playing a set tonight at The Whiskey a Go Go on the sunset strip.
They have a backline of Marshall JCM 900 half stacks.
I'm not sure yet if they are going to allow me to just use my FM9 Turbo to FOH or if I have to use the Marshall.
IF I use the Marshall...my plan is to turn off my cab in the FM9 and go into the effect return of the Marshall from my output 3.
Any tips on any other tweaks I need to make to the FM9?

I'm playing a set tonight at The Whiskey a Go Go on the sunset strip.
They have a backline of Marshall JCM 900 half stacks.
I'm not sure yet if they are going to allow me to just use my FM9 Turbo to FOH or if I have to use the Marshall.
IF I use the Marshall...my plan is to turn off my cab in the FM9 and go into the effect return of the Marshall from my output 3.
Any tips on any other tweaks I need to make to the FM9?

Hey Robbie,
Every time I've played the Whiskey, I've always been able to run direct to FOH even with throw n go, multi band situations. You can also split a shunt before the cab block and run into the effects loop from output 3 into one of those backline Blackstar or Marshall amps/cabinets they have. I've seen all kinds of direct rigs go through there and most of the sound engineers are pretty savvy with these kinds of rigs nowadays

Just make sure you have appropriate volume for your direct sound coming through the wedges in front of you. The monitor engineer is to your right (stage right) in the pit by the staircase adjacent to the bathroom. Make sure you get their attention if you need some volume on stage to hear yourself. The guy in the booth above on the second floor is just for Front Of house and lightning.

Hey Robbie,
Every time I've played the Whiskey, I've always been able to run direct to FOH even with throw n go, multi band situations. You can also split a shunt before the cab block and run into the effects loop from output 3 into one of those backline Blackstar or Marshall amps/cabinets they have. I've seen all kinds of direct rigs go through there and most of the sound engineers are pretty savvy with these kinds of rigs nowadays

Just make sure you have appropriate volume for your direct sound coming through the wedges in front of you. The monitor engineer is to your right (stage right) in the pit by the staircase adjacent to the bathroom. Make sure you get their attention if you need some volume on stage to hear yourself. The guy in the booth above on the second floor is just for Front Of house and lightning.
That's exactly how it went. Turns out that the Marshall JCM 900's I saw there were from the night before anyway and they put back up the BlackStar Amps last night.
But fortunately, they had no problem with letting me run straight out of the FM9 Turbo. And my tone was awesome.
That room sounds so good and the monitor and sound guys just did a tremendous job.

That's exactly how it went. Turns out that the Marshall JCM 900's I saw there were from the night before anyway and they put back up the BlackStar Amps last night.
But fortunately, they had no problem with letting me run straight out of the FM9 Turbo. And my tone was awesome.
That room sounds so good and the monitor and sound guys just did a tremendous job.

Boom! Yes, great (loud) room with lots of history. I lived down the street for about eight years next to the now defunct tower records. Moved to the Valley for a slower pace. Super convenient to walk to The Roxy, Whiskey Viper Viper room and Rainbow with an AX8 in hand to play.

Glad it went well!

Boom! Yes, great (loud) room with lots of history. I lived down the street for about eight years next to the now defunct tower records. Moved to the Valley for a slower pace. Super convenient to walk to The Roxy, Whiskey Viper Viper room and Rainbow with an AX8 in hand to play.

Glad it went well!
Yep, I had a steak yesterday before showtime at the Rainbow. Very cool experience.

Stoked the setup worked for you. I shoot a lot of shows there, excellent sounding room. I remember how shocked I was by how small the venue is, given it's history and the build up in my mind. Grateful I have a couple of photos on the walls upstairs. Here's Southside with Sambora sitting in a few years back.

Attachments

• SSJ-1.jpg
    SSJ-1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
Stoked the setup worked for you. I shoot a lot of shows there, excellent sounding room. I remember how shocked I was by how small the venue is, given it's history and the build up in my mind. Grateful I have a couple of photos on the walls upstairs. Here's Southside with Sambora sitting in a few years back.
I thought the same thing...it's physically a small venue. In my mind I was expecting it to be a lot bigger. But damn...the history of the place back in the day is incredible.
It's like the "Grand Ole Opry" of Rock.

Back
Top Bottom