Setup and Dial in help needed. Will pay for expert

My tone is not satisfying and I think it has alot to my lack of understanding of the Axe FX III. I would be willing to pay for someone to help me get things fine tuned. I have a AXE FX III and a Matrix FR212A-110. I play classic rock music.

Rather than pay someone to do it, read the manuals and the tech notes and through the wiki, watch the videos by Burgs and Leon Todd and follow along as they tweak things, buy the tutorial series by Cooper Carter or Austin Buddy’s presets, fiddle with the factory presets and learn. Post the preset here and ask for insight and ideas.

You want to get the knowledge inside your head, not keep it inside someone else’s.

My tone is not satisfying and I think it has alot to my lack of understanding of the Axe FX III. I would be willing to pay for someone to help me get things fine tuned. I have a AXE FX III and a Matrix FR212A-110. I play classic rock music.
Post a couple of presets so others can take a look. Unless you are just using unaltered factory presets.

Maybe we can sort you out without any cost. I do this for a (partial) living, but would rather solve things like this first.

It could be in the preset? It could be a 'perception' thing, expecting it to sound like an 'Amp in the room' thing, and not an 'Amp in the next room, mic'd up while you monitor it from the control room through the studio monitors' thing... lol

What firmware version? Have you downloaded the new factory presets? Are you playing at gig volume? Alone or in a mix? Have you checked out my site full of classic rock tones... LOL

Last edited:
While Knowledge is certainly beneficial to getting a good result at just about anything, I have chosen to take baby steps to learn about how things work in AxWorld — and sourcing quality presets by others (some free, some for a very reasonable cost) has allowed me to play more than program. After all, playing my guitar is why I bought my AFX3 to begin with.

I don't get why, when someone asks for help, and want to pay for that help, they are told to do it themself. There is a time-value-of-money concept, where for certain people, they'd rather spend the money, so they can spend less time. They still get the knowledge, but if it takes less time for them, than they can earn at their "day job", then it makes perfect sense. They actually save both time, and money. Spending money on say, guitar lessons is a perfect example of this concept in action.

Now if someone is just being lazy, and unwilling to put in the basic effort, that is different. But I don't see that being the issue as I read the OP.

I don't get why, when someone asks for help, and want to pay for that help, they are told to do it themself. There is a time-value-of-money concept, where for certain people, they'd rather spend the money, so they can spend less time. They still get the knowledge, but if it takes less time for them, than they can earn at their "day job", then it makes perfect sense. They actually save both time, and money. Spending money on say, guitar lessons is a perfect example of this concept in action.

Now if someone is just being lazy, and unwilling to put in the basic effort, that is different. But I don't see that being the issue as I read the OP.
I can only speak from my personal experience. This is my first ever digital emulation/modelling equipment and i was really flustered and soon got frustrated with it....but kept trying and now i love to have found the sounds i like. And i am not like Brett Kingman and Leon Todd who are able to use any amp and make it sound good...but thats on me.
But doing it yourself 1. makes you familiar with all that there is to work with, so learning how to use the options.
2. The reward is really sweet....

Just my 2 cents

The Axe 3 can certainly be a daunting prospect to dial in, ESP if its your first experience with a modeling platform. It kinda reminded me of diving into Cubase for the very first time back in the day. It looked like an alien control panel to me. I had NO clue what anything did, and in fact I had to ask for help getting started. It was kinda the same with the Fractal products for me, but since I didnt have any friends that had one, I just had to kinda figure it out. After tons of research and trial and error, I can make my way around it pretty well....although even to this day, I still end up learning new things about it. But I can relate to this fella, Ive been there. Although I will say, doing the research and figuring things out myself is super satisfying. But perhaps this Djentleman just doesnt have enough time in the day between his other obligations to really get ahold of it without a little help

Now if someone is just being lazy, and unwilling to put in the basic effort, that is different. But I don't see that being the issue as I read the OP

I agree with you mate, sometimes I read someones post and I already know what the response will be.

I think some of the responses maybe come from the place of wanting to help, but also trying to help the OP make some headway on their own because there is no guarantee that what someone does for them, will be what they are looking for. Even with references and stuff I feel like there could be a challenge just due to basic equipment issues. Now, if someone were able to provide the OP with help actually at their location so tones could be created with the actual equipment that will be used - I think that would be a huge benefit and really the only way to insure that the OP is hearing what they want, and ultimately getting what they want to pay for.

At least I would hope that's the direction that people are coming from and not just saying "do it yourself". I do agree with you - if someone is willing to pay for something, they've made that choice so it shouldn't factor into anything really.

@Haywire_Band - where are you located? Maybe someone is local and could help take you through some things in person...

In the world of Zoom and Teams, you might be able to find someone to help long distance. They won't be in the room to hear what you hear and that may be a huge hinderance. But they could guide you as you tweak your way to something that sounds good.

But the first thing I'd do is post my preset if @Moke is willing to help. You're getting expert help with him. If you want to start from scratch quickly, look for @2112 (Leon Todd's) You Tube video on 5 minute tones. In 5 minutes you should have a core tone up and running unless your setup (speakers, DAW) has some issues that need ironed out. Good luck. Most of us have been where you are.

Even with references and stuff I feel like there could be a challenge just due to basic equipment issues. Now, if someone were able to provide the OP with help actually at their location so tones could be created with the actual equipment that will be used - I think that would be a huge benefit and really the only way to insure that the OP is hearing what they want, and ultimately getting what they want to pay for.
Wise words

In the world of Zoom and Teams, you might be able to find someone to help long distance. They won't be in the room to hear what you hear and that may be a huge hinderance. But they could guide you as you tweak your way to something that sounds good.
Equally wise words

But if a real meet up can't happen then I'd advise just try approaching one of the well known video makers you see posting here - especially the ones who also gig live .... there's a couple of Aussies I feel would be good candidates for paying for online consultations with. To me Leon @2112 demonstrates the heavier side of rock tone and for what I would call 'Classic Rock' @Burgs would seem a good'un. Depends on time difference too I suppose.

There's more than those 2 around of course ...... have a hunt around the forum for the youtube demo vids and maybe get a conversation going with one or 2 of them.

Just a suggestion for the OP from the peanut gallery. If you're new to modelling, start with what you know. What were you playing through before the Axe? Try to mirror that setup/signal chain in the Axe. If you were running from your guitar to a Cry Baby to TubeScreamer to a JCM800, setup that same chain in the Axe, with the same settings you were using. From there you can experiment and get the hang of all that's available within the Axe, with a good initial frame of reference based on your experience with the actual hardware units. One other note....If you're not liking your tone, get rid of everything post cab (assuming you have post cab effects) and work on just what impacts the initial tone. Frankly, I'd drop everything but the amp and cab, and start from there.

Ummm, I think most of those people are just letting him know there are much cheaper ways to get there. Also, tone is such a subjective thing that, I for one would be wary of charging for something like that…..maybe that’s just me…don’t know. In any case, if you want to take the guys money and help him..go right ahead. /shrugs\

@Haywire_Band - where are you located? Maybe someone is local and could help take you through some things in person...
If I had the time and knowledge, that would be the response I'd give a question like the OP. Always down to make a few bucks trading my experience and expertise for saving someone else their time.

Another thing I though of, in which getting help would be huge, is in learning things the Axe is capable of, that you aren't even aware of. Like, take the song "Cathedral" by Van Halen for example. If you don't know that that type of effect can be done (not necessarily in the Axe, but just that it's possible) (could you do it in the Axe?), then how can you learn how to do it in the first place? You can't. But I can easily imagine getting together with someone more knowledgeable than myself, and them saying to me, something like, "Hey, watch this cool effect, and how it sounds. I'll show you how its done."

Sure, this goes beyond knowing how to use the Axe, in a basic, or even mid-level, sort of manner, and gets into the much more involved aspect of musical creativity, and some people would be unwilling to share their tricks (just like how EVH turned his back on the audience when playing tapped harmonics ala "Women In Love.") But if they were, now that would open doors that I'd certainly be willing to pay for. Or even doing complex setups that I am aware of (arpeggiator for Hungry Like The Wolf), but don't have a clue how to do, and doubt the time I spent trying to learn it on my own, would be time well spent, vs. paying someone to teach me.

Which reminds me (maybe needs a new thread)..., how much of this type of ground is covered in Copper Carter's class? (I intend to sign up for it regardless, just as soon as I get tired of all the joy I'm having playing with the AF3, at the level of proficiency I'm at, which may very well be never. ;) )

Back
Top Bottom