Settings for Hiwatt DR-103 and Big Box Tweed Twin (9.03)

psst

Inspired
After I was comparing my real amps with Axe's amp after updating to 9.03 and tweaking to match, I thought some can find this useful, so here it is.

System:

Axe to a (in theory) linear amp, to a power amp switcher.
Hiwatt (and later, Tweed Twin) to a power amp switcher.
Power amp switcher connected to a Hiwatt cab (and later to the Twin, to its combo speaker).

I switch instantly (with a foot switch) from the Axe to the real amp, this way both come through the same physical speaker, and being careful not to move my head, so the perception doesn't change.
Tried all the sound palette, chords, low strings, high strings, different pickups, etc.
IMO, this is the only valid way I know to compare sounds. Some rest and coming back to work necessary.

- Fender Tweed Twin: this was not hard to match, it was similar, although to match exactly I had to:
LF RESONANCE: 2.01
HF RESONANCE: 2.52
SPKR RES FREQ: 100

Type: 59 Bassguy (the schematic is the same as the Tweed Twin)
My preamp setting are quite similar to the real amp ones:
Bass 0, Mid 7.09, Treb 7.60, Pres 6.38
Master to 9.06, it's a non-master vol amp.
They sound good through the Twin cabinet, through other cabinets YMMV

- Hiwatt DR-103 (1973): this was harder, in this firmware version, when A/B, it sounded really different.
See next page for settings, I changed some things.

These settings sound great man (the hiwatt ones i mean), playing with the gain, i just dialed up some sweet tones!
I like it set for very high gain.
~mx~

Thanks much for this. I had already gotten in the ballpark for the DR-103, but that was a few firmware revisions ago. This got me back in business, and probably even closer than I was before.

Also, I love those doppolas - If I hadn't just bought a house, I'd be getting an order ready for a pair. You just can't replicate that kind of swirly goodness with a pedal (at least I certainly haven't, and I've tried just about everything including modding some myself).

Thanks for your efforts - can't wait to try the settings!
Edit: Which Hiwatt model (in the Axe-FX) were you using (it's probably staring me in the face in your OP)? Also...what was your drive setting with the Axe-FX Bassman?

Glad you like it!
In the Axe I use both Hiwatt models available, in parallel (one for the normal channel, one for the brill channel). Mix to taste.
The drive in the Bassman depends on which song, if I want it clean or if I want overdrive. I compared the real one with the Axe one with different drive settings and it was totally accurate in all positions.

Thanks for sharing this! It's very interesting. I liked how your settings sounded but I eventually switched the advanced parameters back to the defaults. I don't doubt that they helped you match the amp tone through your cabs. I was going FRFR and I like the default settings better. But it was a fun experiment! I wish I had a power amp switcher so I could try the same with my amps.

This hiwatt may have just flung me into david gilmore territory, been looking for this for a while thankyou!

I'd still like to see Cliff do a "Pink" amp that combined a Fender Twin preamp with a Hiwatt power amp, but I don't know if this would be that different from a Hiwatt with Fender tonestack (and related advanced parameters), or if it would sound that different from a straight Hiwatt.

I'll post the cab here when I downlooad it from my Axe, I don't think I have it in my hard drive. You can try red wire's hiwatt cab too.

And about the alembic, that's another thing I did, I cloned the sound of my Alembic to my Hiwatt head power amp, at least I cloned the "Gilmour Pulse setting" (bass minimum, middle max, treble at more than half). I'll post it tomorrow.

I was trying today taking out another variable, the different ways you play guitar, which affect tone.
I recorded myself playing, guitar straight to recording, and then played that through the emulations A/B with the real amp.

The Twin (bassman), with the changes posted here sound just identical.

The Hiwatt I can only say I can get it *very* close but after a lot of work. My guess is that Cliff doesn't have one to fine tune it (he has a Bassman 57 though to compare, if I recall correctly).

I stoped playing with the output trafo values to try to get rid of the super low frequencies and used 120hz of lowcut freq (in the advances amp section too).
My final setting to get there with the Hiwatt are:
Low-cut freq: 120Hz
LF Resonance: 6.02
HF Resonance: 1.02
Drive at 5, bass 5, mids 4.25, treb 2.68.
For the brill channel, the same, except Low-cut freq 659Hz.

After that I had to put a graphic EQ block boosting 2.5db of 250 and 500 and lowering 2db of 125.

For the Alembic preamp (Gilmour settings) to Hiwatt power amp I could get close with these settings:
Hiwatt amp changing the tonestack to DoubleVerb (blackface), change the tonestack freq too to 469Hz, lowcut freq to 150Hz, LF Resonance to 6.02 and HF resonance to 1.02.
Bass 0, mids max, treb 6.30. Pres 0.

YMMV.

Just tried your settings.

Can you please tell what setting you use for the Master Volume, and for the Presence?

Also, I assume you place the PEQ block after the cab block.

Can you please check that the following settings are correct?

Hiwatt.jpg

Back
Top Bottom