Setting Up the AxeFX II With RockSmith 2014 - TUT -

T.B.B.

Inspired
Setting Up the AxeFX II for RockSmith 2014 - TUT -

Hey; didnt know if this was off-topic...

Anyways here is a tut how to setup an AxeFx II with Rocksmith 2014.

What you will get: Awesome Axe-Fx guitar sounds while playing the game!

Im using following setup: Guitar in front input; studio monitor boxes in Output 1

What to do:

1. Install FW 12.03beta on your axe
2. Connect the Rocksmith 2014 guitar cable to the Output 2
3. Go to I/O and choose "Output 2" Echo -> Select "Input 1"
4. Connect the axe with the pc using USB
5. Choose AXE as the main interface under "Sounds" in your OS
6. Start Rocksmith -> go to "Options" and turn down the volume of guitar 1 to zero.
7. Play & Rock!

Questions?

Next possible steps:
Design presets (with scenes) using Axe Edit for each custom song on Rocksmith -> so you can switch to right the tone during the song!
Implement .sys commands into Rocksmith to switch automatically to the desired tone which will be called when the tone switch is activated in the game (dunno if it is possible though yet)

Greets

Last edited:
I want to try that game but I figure ill either be really good at it or just be really bad at sight reading that way.

it took me around 2 days to get kinda used to it...but the game itself is really fun..and with the sounds of the axe it does sound freaking awesome ;)

RockSmith is a fail to me because you can't mute the original guitar track. They just use normal mp3s in the game & not the individual master stem tracks, so the original guitar track is always there. Sucks....

Help me out here. Would you guys say this actually helps versus just learning songs period? I don't see how reading that way can help you with guitar? Its not written music? Do you find you can play the solos by memory after being good at them on the screen?

Just curious, I only recently learned about Rocksmith.

I do exactly this to get around the lag that occurs over HDMI. I can't stand the latency between plucking the string and hearing it come out of the TV... I thought I was the only one crazy enough to use several thousand dollars in equipment to play a video game...

I bought it for xbox, tried it for a couple of hours. Felt I spent too much energy getting used to the visual interface that's supposed to teach me the songs. Might be that I gave up too early, though. Here's at least an incentive for picking it up again :)

I do think it helps learn, but more importantly it helps you with the feel of playing. I find I am more versatile and have way more chops after playing rocksmith. It is not "learning" sheet music or "tab" (which is looked down on by "serious" musicians. Lol

RockSmith is a fail to me because you can't mute the original guitar track. They just use normal mp3s in the game & not the individual master stem tracks, so the original guitar track is always there. Sucks....

I wanted to revive this thread because...

"The community" has made it possible to import custom DLC songs into Rocksmith for PC. Xbox and PS3 are possible as well, if you have a hacked console. After buysing for Xbox originally, I had to buy it for PC just for the customs...
I have started discussion with some of the custom DCL creators about creating customs songs as backing tracks, without the guitar parts, using the vast collection of multitrack recordings I've acquired from various sources.

Go to www.customsforge.com for more info...

Here's a couple Custom DCL vids... Rocksmith 2014 just got a WHOLE LOT BETTER.

awesome! I know about the CustomDLC...which is pretty awesome! Though its pretty awesome that you contacted some of the CDLC makers!

awesome! I know about the CustomDLC...which is pretty awesome! Though its pretty awesome that you contacted some of the CDLC makers!

One of them just did a track for Rockin' in the Free World without the guitar parts, using a multitrack I have. Same guy who did the Zeppelin CDLC. The tone wasn't quite right, but he made a good attempt at it.. program limitations, I'm sure.
He's also got a Bad To the Bone multi he'll try with as well. Backing Track discussions are starting to gain ground.

Hmm.. I get horrible noise (in the game) when I connect the rocksmith cable to output 2. I have set copy input 1 to output 2. I tried recording the direct signal from output two to reaper, this worked fine. Any clues what might be causing it? Connecting straight to the guitar works fine.

Funny thing is, I'm sure I used this method before, with the first rocksmith. As I recall I had no problems doing it this way.. could there be something wrong with my output 2 jack or have I forgotten some in game setting?

Has anyone has success with the latest update of rocksmith 2014 enabling "microphone input" with the AxeFX II? I can see the option to select the AxeFx as the input device but can't see any audio registering. Would be nice to avoid the realtone cable.

Surely you need that cable or does the software do the pitch to midi stuff?

The latest update, allows you to use a USB mic for acoustic with no pickup or play in disconnected mode.

I'd be taking the guess that the software is still making the conversion all the USB mic and cable are doing is the digital conversion.

Bumping this very old thread I found with google because I'm excited to try this. I think the pitch block might be a game changer. More on that later.

Rocksmith might not be for everyone, but I think it's a fantastic teaching tool for someone like me who plays a lot of guitar hero and is too impatient to sit with tabs at times. It's especially useful once you get the hang of the riff repeater. The game might throw too much or too little at you at once so learning the settings helps you go at the right pace. Going with the very basics, there's a slider for difficulty and a slider for speed. I tend to try to move the difficulty slider up as quick as possible because it's only once all the notes are shown does the hand position and picking economy jump out and scream how it's supposed to be played. With half the notes missing you can follow along and learn totally useless motions . So the best thing to do is use the speed setting to practice things. Though I will admit sometimes it's just fun to strum along to easy songs rather than try to tackle solos. I tend to play more rhythm tracks because I wanted to get better there rather than learn solos note per note. It's nice that the game usually has multiple tracks to learn for songs where it's relevant. It also might serve me better to try learning those with my ear a little more than just following the game and I am capable of that to a certain degree.

Anyway I'm most excited to try to use the pitch block to save me from tuning. This should let me jump around the library quicker and supercharge my practice time. Once I grow tired of a chordy song like learning to fly by Tom Petty, I usually want to jump to something to make my hands hurt like mastodon. Once my hands are screaming I want to cool down and go back to something easier. Only problem is all the easy strumming stuff I like is in E standard and the blazing metal stuff that I also want to learn is in all manors of tunings and changing around that much makes my guitars unstable.

The game's noise gate is also pretty rough but I'll play with settings and see what I can get away with. I imagine introducing an alien computer between the pickups and usb cable might make things wonky but I'm excited to try it. My III is expected to come in on wednesday and I'll report back when I get around to trying this out. I expect I'll be lost in setting up and preset building for a while. first.

Hmm.. I get horrible noise (in the game) when I connect the rocksmith cable to output 2. I have set copy input 1 to output 2. I tried recording the direct signal from output two to reaper, this worked fine. Any clues what might be causing it? Connecting straight to the guitar works fine.

Funny thing is, I'm sure I used this method before, with the first rocksmith. As I recall I had no problems doing it this way.. could there be something wrong with my output 2 jack or have I forgotten some in game setting?

I know it's years later, but I have run into this same road block. Maybe I'll figure out a solution. It's only my second day with the axefx and there's so many things I don't yet understand.

I'm getting a high pitched buzz along with my guitar signal whenever the noise gate isn't active. My goal is to mirror input one to output 3, plug the "real-time" cable into that, and go from there ideally with a pitch block thrown in for virtual capo. I'm slightly worried the high pitched noise indicates that something could get damaged by inappropriate levels so I'm going to test cautiously.

It seems silly but it's a bummer. Rocksmith is fun but the devs need to allow you to just use whatever interface you want not their stupid proprietary cable.

Last edited:
I dont know if one way is better than the other but I use simply use the Radial twin city splitter. one cable goes to MAC (realtone cable) the other to the input of my ax 3. no issues whatsoever. no latency, no noise and it works great.

Back
Top Bottom