Setting up Pro Tools 10 and Axe Fx II( interface) to record direct...

Hyperion88

Hey guys, I just purchased Pro Tools 10 this week and have been trying to record direct with my Axe Fx II. I am new at this so excuse any stupid question I might be making.....

First of all:

is there any king of set up that must be done on the I/O of my FX II? ( I'm using it as the main audio interface)

On Pro Tools> set up> hardware..I have the option between the axe fx II audio IN or Out ( it has to be on axe fx II OUT correct?)

On Pro Tools> set up> Play Back Engine... I see:

Built in Microphone
Built in Input
Built in Output
Axe Fx II out
Axe fx II in
Pro Tools Aggregate I/O
Aggregate Device

which one do I have to assign?

On Pro Tools> set up> I/O... I have:

Built in microphone
Built in Input
Built in output ( stereo)

do I have to change anything in there?

I'm asking all this because I tried to create a new track and when I try to select the input> Interface..I only see

Built in Microphone1
Built in microphone2
Built in input 1
Built in input 2

and there's no signal going from the Fractal to Pro Tools( no input levels..)

I know that the sample rate of the Axe Fx is set for 48KHZ, that's already changed in Pro tools.

Thanks for your time guys!

First, make sure you install the latest Axe II driver. If you're seeing Axe FX II In and Axe FX II Out, then I'm pretty sure you're still using the old one. Using the new driver, I see one Axe FX device under Playback Engine in PT. I'm not at my studio Mac now so I don't know the exact wording, but it shows up as one device (not a separate in and out).

Once you have that selected, go to the I/O page in PT and click on the Input tab. Delete all paths there and then click default. Next, click the Output tab and do the same. Now when you create a new track in PT, you should see the corresponding Axe Fx I/O's.

Let me know if you get it working. I can probably be of more help once I'm in front of my PT rig.

First, make sure you install the latest Axe II driver. If you're seeing Axe FX II In and Axe FX II Out, then I'm pretty sure you're still using the old one. Using the new driver, I see one Axe FX device under Playback Engine in PT. I'm not at my studio Mac now so I don't know the exact wording, but it shows up as one device (not a separate in and out).

Once you have that selected, go to the I/O page in PT and click on the Input tab. Delete all paths there and then click default. Next, click the Output tab and do the same. Now when you create a new track in PT, you should see the corresponding Axe Fx I/O's.

Let me know if you get it working. I can probably be of more help once I'm in front of my PT rig.

I did install the latest drive( July of this year) and I installed it again today just to make sure...I still see axe fx in and axe fx out...

Let me start from basics here....

I have the usb cable going from the Fractal to my Mac

and I have two xlr cables going from the axe fx output 1 ( balanced L+R) to my monitor speakers...and that's all

on the computer system preferences I have the axe fx as the output and Line in as the input( if this is relevant)

I also saw something online about having to download an audio core for Mac....

is there something on the axe fx unit that I have to change on the I/O ?

Thanks for the reply!

Mac or PC?
I believe you want to use Pro Tools Aggregate I/O.
On Mac you want Launch Pad, Other, Audio Midi Setup. You want to Select Aggregate I/O and then Hit the Little Gear Looking Icon.
Do that Twice, Once to Select use this Device for Input, and Once for use this Device for Output.
It may work other ways, but I know this works, but I have to Switch it Back to use my Mac with Normal Sound routing when Not ProTooling it...
Then in ProTools you want to "Setup" "Playback Engine" also to ProTools Aggregate.
Then in ProTools "Setup" "I/O..." you can usually do Delete Path followed by Default.

On PC I don't think I had to do anything in Control Panel
I think the ProTools Setup was the same.

I just switched from PC to Mac so I am not 100% sure on all the Steps, but Hopefully it can step you closer.

I did install the latest drive( July of this year) and I installed it again today just to make sure...I still see axe fx in and axe fx out...

Let me start from basics here....

I have the usb cable going from the Fractal to my Mac

and I have two xlr cables going from the axe fx output 1 ( balanced L+R) to my monitor speakers...and that's all

on the computer system preferences I have the axe fx as the output and Line in as the input( if this is relevant)

I also saw something online about having to download an audio core for Mac....

is there something on the axe fx unit that I have to change on the I/O ?

Thanks for the reply!

Hmm, that's strange. Your connections are correct and there is nothing you need to change on the Axe Fx itself. But as indicated in this thread, the new driver should show up as one 4-in/2out device labeled "Axe Fx II Audio". The new driver eliminates the need to create an Aggregate Device. Double check under Audio/Midi setup (under Mac utilities) and let us know what you're seeing.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...idi-driver-os-x-lion-mountain-lion-beta2.html

In PT, the Playback Engine needs to be set for "Axe Fx II Audio". This gives you 4 inputs...2 wet (L&R) and 2 dry (L&R). If you're not seeing that and have one labeled Axe Fx In and one labeled Axe Fx Out, then something is amiss.

Regarding the Beta driver, I don't think I need it, my Mac runs on Snow Leopard OSX 10.6.8...

Another thing is that I can easily use my axe fx as an interface whenever Pro Tools is not open( using my monitor speakers to listen to songs from i tunes or youtube for example), and I can also use the Axe Edit software without any problem...so the axe fx driver should be working isn't that right?

On the midi set up I see exactly what is below:

Built in Microphone 2 in/0 out
Built in Input 2 in/0 out
Avid Core Audio Device 0 in/0 out
Pro Tools Aggregate 4 in/ 2 out
Aggregate device 4 in/ 2 out
Axe FX II Audio 0 in/ 2 out
Axe FX II Audio 4 in/ 0 out

I tried using Pro Tools Aggregate and checked the box for Axe FX II in and the box for Axe FX II out ( there's a resample box that I don't know if it has to be checked or not) and set the clock source for Axe FX II Audio Out ( I only have the options between axe fx in or axe fx out).

After that I set Pro Tools Aggregate as the playback engine and defaulted the input and output of I/O.

I have some signal going to Pro tools but it's very weak( never goes beyond the green bar) and the sound that it records is very different from the sound I'm using with the axe fxII.

To install the Pro Tools on my Mac I only installed the pro tools installer disc, I did not install the device drivers disc or audio loops disc....

I tried testing the Fractal through Garage Band and it has the same problem as Pro Tools when I use Pro Tools Aggregate, the signal is weak and the sound is different...

Thanks for all the responses so far guys I just hope this to be something simple....

Ok if anybody else has a similar problem to mine...here's what I did to make it work.....

1) Problem: I contacted Fractal and was told that their driver has a bug with OSX 10.6.8 and older versions.

Solution: I updated to Mountain Lion ( OSX 10.8.2)>>>>uninstalled the axe fx II driver>>>>went back to the Fractal web site and installed their axe fx II driver once again.....from there, both Pro Tools 10 and my I Mac started to recognize my axe fx unit as a single selectable option " Axe FX II Audio"

2) Go to Pro Tools>>> set up>>>> Hardware>>> launch app>>> select " Axe Fx II Audio"

Go to Pro Tools>>> set up>>> Playback Engine>>> select " Axe Fx II Audio"

Go to Pro Tools>>> set up>>> I/O>>> " default" both the input ( 4 total inputs ) and output ( 2 out) options

3) Go to your Axe fx II unit>>> go to I/O>>> make sure you have input 1 as " analog 1" >>> scroll down to usb/digi and make sure you have that set as " output 1"

After all of that you should be able to record your sound on Pro Tools 10 using the axe fx II as the only audio interface without having to make and aggregate device.

Remember in order for the instructions above to work you should have your gear set as:

Guitar into main front input>>>> two xlr ( balanced preferred) cables from the axe fx II out put 1 into your speaker monitors>>> usb cable from axe fx II to the usb port on your computer.

There are "N" ways of connecting your unit, this is only one of them....

Ok if anybody else has a similar problem to mine...here's what I did to make it work.....

1) Problem: I contacted Fractal and was told that their driver has a bug with OSX 10.6.8 and older versions.

Solution: I updated to Mountain Lion ( OSX 10.8.2)>>>>uninstalled the axe fx II driver>>>>went back to the Fractal web site and installed their axe fx II driver once again.....from there, both Pro Tools 10 and my I Mac started to recognize my axe fx unit as a single selectable option " Axe FX II Audio"

2) Go to Pro Tools>>> set up>>>> Hardware>>> launch app>>> select " Axe Fx II Audio"

Go to Pro Tools>>> set up>>> Playback Engine>>> select " Axe Fx II Audio"

Go to Pro Tools>>> set up>>> I/O>>> " default" both the input ( 4 total inputs ) and output ( 2 out) options

3) Go to your Axe fx II unit>>> go to I/O>>> make sure you have input 1 as " analog 1" >>> scroll down to usb/digi and make sure you have that set as " output 1"

After all of that you should be able to record your sound on Pro Tools 10 using the axe fx II as the only audio interface without having to make and aggregate device.

Remember in order for the instructions above to work you should have your gear set as:

Guitar into main front input>>>> two xlr ( balanced preferred) cables from the axe fx II out put 1 into your speaker monitors>>> usb cable from axe fx II to the usb port on your computer.

There are "N" ways of connecting your unit, this is only one of them....

Hey guys, first post from a long time lurker, and new owner of the AxeFx 2. I've been scouring the forums regarding some similar issues I've been having, when I came across this useful thread. Problem I'm having is that when I go into Protools (I'm using M-Powered 9), and try to add the Axefx as hardware, etc as listed above... My only option is the M-audio Profire. I'm assuming it's because I'm using PT9, and it's M-Powered? Any ideas?

Much thanks!

-K

Hey guys, first post from a long time lurker, and new owner of the AxeFx 2. I've been scouring the forums regarding some similar issues I've been having, when I came across this useful thread. Problem I'm having is that when I go into Protools (I'm using M-Powered 9), and try to add the Axefx as hardware, etc as listed above... My only option is the M-audio Profire. I'm assuming it's because I'm using PT9, and it's M-Powered? Any ideas?

Much thanks!

-K

You won't be able to use the Axe as an interface with that software. Pro Tools MP 9 only works with certain M-Audio hardware.

I'm currently running OS Mavericks on my macbook pro, Would these same steps be able to be done with Pro Tools 11? have you guys reamped using this yet? If you have can you give me an idea as to how to do it?

Back
Top Bottom