Setting up patches for live use

Sidivan

Fractal Fanatic
I'm brand new to the Axe FX Ultra as of Monday, so I haven't tweaked on it too much (still going through presets). I'm currently going stereo into a Rolls personal monitor amp and using my Shure E3's. I'm absolutely blown away by the sounds in this box, but I can't help but think they're going to need some tweaking for live use. My goal is to go direct with In-Ear monitors. I currently do not have any other monitor for the axe (running through the vetta FX Loop was just bad).

What do you guys change specifically to setup a patch for live use? I'm assuming you normally take out a ton of the reverb. I've never setup tones for direct to PA use before.

I've been checking out the amps and cabs section in search of way to replicate what I'm hearing through my E3's for smaller venues where we don't run everybody through the PA.

Hi Sidivan,

Some questions for starters to help zero in on responses-
1. What type of music do you play? -Gives us a general idea of what to recommend.
2. What type of amp DID you use? _Gives us an idea of what you are accustomed to.
3. How many in the group? -Helps determine what frequencies to boost/cut.
4. What type of sound WOULD you like to have? This is where is gets fun :D
5. Is the PA mono or stereo? The AXE sounds VERY, VERY different in stereo vs mono to my ears.
6. Are all the other members using IEMs? -An ampless sound on stage is very different to many compared
to an amp with it's volume, wash, etc. Other band members may prefer a "live amp" sound-you'll
just have to sort it out.

Overall, I notice that when I play my patches by myself I'm generally satisfied with the sound.
If I turn on the drums (Alesis SR-16, aux sent sub to BFM folded horn) the whole picture can be
changed depending upon volume.

Mids rule-for example, "Master of Muppets" sound gets lost, Blackface Lead stand out.
Bass can build up, cut where necessary.
Yes, reverbs and echos can overwhelm-use judiciously.

The above is only my opinion and what my old ears tell me, younger ears hear frequencies much
differently and we haven't even spoken about "taste"..."Everyone to his or her own taste said the hired hand as he kissed the cow" ;)

I'm sure many more will respond, welcome to the group and I bet you are going to enjoy the ride.

Cheers,
Joel in Sarasota, Florida

AXE-FX Standard
AXE-FX Ultra

i don't take out much reverb.

for me, it's mostly the EQ that changes.

one trick i do is to setup the patches to whatever sounds good to you how you monitor it (E3s for you), but then put a graphic eq at the very end of the signal chain.

this eq becomes my "live" eq, and then i can tweak that patch for live use. if i'm playing quietly at a live gig, not much changes, but at the loud stage volumes, i need to cut highs and lows usually, though it's not the same for each patch.

regardless, you need to EQ and setup patches at the volume you will use them AKA performance level. if that means renting a PA system and turning up, then that's what you gotta do, or do it on the fly at the gig. it WILL sound different; anything sounds different louder than it does quietly.

good luck!

I actually have two completely different scenarios I need to cover. I'm in both a cover band (Johnny Cash to Tool) and also in an original metal band.

In the cover band, we play small venues (50 - 200 people) where the only thing through the PA is vocals and the kick drum. My intent is to start running the axe through the PA as well and using In-Ears. The rest of the band uses a wedge. Currently, I'm using my Vetta II. I'm not sure if the PA is stereo or mono. I don't play a lot of shows with these guys (a couple weekends a month) since they're a couple hours away from where I live.

In the metal band, everything is direct in and everybody uses in-ears. We haven't started playing live yet, but we will very soon. I'm not as concerned about monitoring as I am with what the audience will hear.

I guess my main question is, do you guys use different patches for live than you do in the studio? If so, what's different about them? My best example would be factory preset 148 (Ultraverb). Playing "Yellow Ledbetter" though that sucker sounds amazing in my E3's. I am assuming I wouldn't want to send all that reverb out through the mains because the sound is going to bounce around and create natural reverb. Maybe I'm creating a problem where there isn't one here. Am I crazy? I think I'm going to bring the axe to the next practice with the cover band and just hook it up.

I completely understand the whole "tweak your sounds in a band environment" thing. I hate it when guitar players create their tones with a ton of low end and it gets lost in the mix because they didn't account for the bass player. I also understand how sound changes as it gets louder. The Axe FX has opened my eyes so much for recording that I figure there's a ton I need to learn/question about my live sound. Basically, I'm assuming I'm doing everything wrong so that I can start from scratch.

It all depends on how much you trust the soundman. If you don't trust him at all, send the exact sound (with effects) that you would want in the FOH. If you trust the soundman, then I usually send patches without much delay or reverb unless I am using them in a creative way. I trust the soundman to add delay and reverb for ambience. He can always add more but can't take away from what you give him.

Back
Top Bottom