Setting up out of the box, where's the sound??

Chrose1201

Inspired
Hey all. I did a search on this and found something, but need more. I turned it on last night for the first time. I plugged in the guitar and headphones and was able to run through a bunch of presets. On a side note, but only experience with modeling was a Line 6 Spyder 13 years ago. This is like that on a mega dose of steroids. Amazing that I can get sustain on my headphones from a preset. Wow!

I then tried though to set it up to play through the amp. To that, the manual said to "plug the guitar into instrument 1". I then plugged a standard cable from "FX Send 1" (Humbuster) to the amps "FX Loop Return". I made sure there was some volume brought up on the Output levels.

2 years ago JPT made a similar post. Part of the question regarded the last step which said to Navigate to I/O and change Output 2/Copy output 1 to "ON". Chris pointed out that is no longer used. So for now until I get the XLR to TR cord so I can try the 4C method all I want to do is get some sound out of the amp rather than my headphones, but I am getting nothing. Volume is up on the amp and output volume 1 & 2 are up. I understand that the amps power section may color the Presets power and cab selections and at least for now I am willing to deal with that. So what is this pea brain missing??

Thanks!

Navigate to I/O and change Output 2/Copy output 1 to "ON". Chris pointed out that is no longer used.
the Copy function is still used to get Out 1's signal to Out 2. be sure to select copy Output 1, and not Input 1.

Out 2 physical jacks do not produce sound unless the Copy function is on, or the Out 2 block is connected in the preset appropriately.

Last edited:
the Copy function is still used to get Out 1's signal to Out 2. be sure to select copy Output 1, and not Input 1.

Out 2 physical jacks do not produce sound unless the Copy function is on, or the Out 2 block is connected in the preset appropriately.
Still nothing. Assuming I am doing this right! 1671579894061.png

Attachments

• 1671579806185.png
    1671579806185.png
    50.5 KB · Views: 4
@Chrose1201 Is that an FX Loop Off / On switch in the back of your amp? And if so, is that switch definitely in the "On" position?

Is that a Friedman? What model?

Last edited:
@Chrose1201 Is that an FX Loop Off / On switch in the back of your amp? And if so, is that switch definitely in the "On" position?
1671583042714.png I never used the FX Loop with my pedal board (didn't like the way the pedals sounded) hence I didn't realize that that toggle was an FX loop on/off! Thank you Jellodog, you are a freakin genius! :D

Team work! Hi Five!

Happy Scooby Doo GIF by Boomerang Official

Maybe this is the way you want it, but I think all you're getting is the Effects. If you want to include the Amp and Cab, change your cable from FX Send to OUT 1.

Maybe this is the way you want it, but I think all you're getting is the Effects. If you want to include the Amp and Cab, change your cable from FX Send to OUT 1.
Yeah thank.s I just got this so all I really wanted for right now was to just check out the presets without having to use the headphones. I have a lot to learn!

One of the questions in the balance is do I keep that or sell and get a power amp and FRFR's. But it's wayyy to early to know.

Definitely take your time on this question.

It's easy to select or build a preset and make music right away; but there's still a lot that you can learn with the FM3, and it can take time to really get the most out of it, if you wish to explore more deeply. There's a lot of amzing stuff included in that box!

You may change your mind several times, as you go back and forth and experiment 🙂

Last edited:
Actually, that is not true.

An Out 2 block is not required for this to work. Even if an Out 2 block is added to the grid, and is in a different location than Out 1.. The Copy Out 1 setting overrides the Out 2 block location (if one exists) and sends the exact same signal from Out1 to Out 2.

The only possible differences between the two Outputs now is if their 'Output Mode', 'Output Level', 'Phase', Global EQ, or the physical Output Knobs are set differently.

Back
Top Bottom