Setting up my rack, anything I should think about?

I was thinking about a 2U rack case because I use powered monitors and don't need any outboard FX or tuners. However, I've seen guys on here with huge racks ;-) and was wondering if I'm missing something important like power conditioning or maybe think about an I/O interface so as to not cause wear and tear on the Axe FX I/O...what do you guys recommend?

An I/O interface is very helpful. If you have a wireless unit you'll need space for that. That's when a power distribution unit comes in handy. As far as power conditioning it can't hurt. Depends on your needs. Unless you run more outboard effects you don't need a big rack. Some people like dedicated tuners. Oh, and then you have the Rac12. That can come in handy too.

@Jack Napalm Thank you! I'm not really wanting a big rack if I can help it, but the I/O interface seems appealing. What's the one most guys use around these parts? Has anyone made an interface that works well with the Axe FX?

The Rac12 idea is very cool, though!

I ended up getting an SKB 4 space rolling rack (retractable luggage handle with wheels) to hold my XL II + as well as an RAC12, Furman PL-8 (for power conditioning and cord cleanliness) then I had a Best-Tronics make me a custom patch panel which was icing on cake.

The patch panel has Powercon locking power connections (for my XiTone wedges and the Furman), audio connections (XLR and 1/4" for output 1, 1/4" for output 2), USB connections (Axe FX and RAC12) and finally and XLR connection for the the MFC101. Now I don't have to dig in the back of the rack to connect anything. To be clear, the SKB rack has rails on the front and rear so the patch panels is mounted on rear rails.

Last but not least I bought a blank 3 space rack panel with I attached with big thumbscrews so I can open it up without a screwdriver.

I consider everything in the rack essential and as compact as it can be.

I ended up getting an SKB 4 space rolling rack (retractable luggage handle with wheels) to hold my XL II + as well as an RAC12, Furman PL-8 (for power conditioning and cord cleanliness) then I had a Best-Tronics make me a custom patch panel which was icing on cake.

The patch panel has Powercon locking power connections (for my XiTone wedges and the Furman), audio connections (XLR and 1/4" for output 1, 1/4" for output 2), USB connections (Axe FX and RAC12) and finally and XLR connection for the the MFC101. Now I don't have to dig in the back of the rack to connect anything. To be clear, the SKB rack has rails on the front and rear so the patch panels is mounted on rear rails.

Last but not least I bought a blank 3 space rack panel with I attached with big thumbscrews so I can open it up without a screwdriver.

I consider everything in the rack essential and as compact as it can be.

Need pics!;)

If you gig frequently, you cannot go wrong with a front of rack panel.

I also got mine from VAFAM but since Hans passed away, I am not sure anyone has gotten anything from them.

Mine has:

Power
FASLink
USB
2 x Speakon / 1/4" combo connectors
2 x XLR
2 x TRS (can be used for 1/4" ins or outs, or with controller pedals)

It takes literally only a couple minutes to cable up anything and there is no hunting around in the dark recesses at the back of the rack.

I would also recommend a power conditioner as well to help protect your expensive investment and reduce noise.

Lastly, I really dig these - I bought two and they are such a great. One of those genius ideas:

http://www.wallacher.com/WR1.htm

Hi, I have 2 rack unit, one only for AXE fx 2 units, Light version and another 4 unit....
1axe
1 power cond.
1 tube power amp

IMG_0231.JPG

Ok, first problem, Don't know what depth of rack case I need to have a bit of space between my XL and an interface+cabling, any ideas what a good case for this would be?

The Axe FX II XL+ is 14.25" deep. When I was looking at rack I found 14", 16", 19" and 20" depth available.

Some folks, go with a 14" to keep things as compact as possible but that partially negates the use of a rear patch panel and you have to use a right angle power cable from the Axe to the power conditioner, assuming you use one.I also didn't want to have the direct connections to the Axe hanging in the breeze.

The 16" depth might be right but still seemed a little right for me to use with a patch panel and I didn't want to take a chance.

In the end I felt 19" would be comfortable for the patch panel wiring and also allow me to put almost anything in the rack.

Back
Top Bottom