Setting Up My General Sounds On My Axe2

ksmithdc

Inspired
I've been trying to arrange my basic sounds in a logical order. Here's where I'm at right now:

I'm using the first 5 banks of the A bank. (A000, A001, A002, A003, A004). So here's what I'm doing:

A000 = Fender Clean (I'm setting this for blackface twin reverb sounds...just clean Fender). Nothing crazy here.

A001 = Tweed Semi-Clean (For this, I'm going for a semi-distorted, pushed Fender sound...kind of a Keef sound). I called this patch "Tweedy Grime".

A002 = Brown Crunch (As the name implies, I'm going for a brown rhythm sound. Early VH kind of sounds). I used the Brown Plexi amp for this patch.

A003 = Trainwreck Lead (This patch is a touch-sensitive lead sound which features the FAS Wrecker amp). Roll down the volume and it cleans up nicely. I have the option to use a drive pedal in the front to blast the amp a little.

A004 = High Gain Lead (I'm going for a Lukather, melt your face off type lead tone here). I'm using the CAE+ amp on this patch.

This combination seems to make the most logical sense. To me anyway. I'd be very curious to learn what others have done in this realm.

Kevin

That's more or less what I do subtracting the higher ends of the gain spectrum. I have 2 banks of 5 patches with Fenders up to Trainwreck with varying levels of initial gain and then the same pedals types into them to add spice. 2 drives, 2 delays, compressor, PEQ, tremolo, phase, wah, flanger, pitch in most patches. I operate the whole thing just like a virtual pedalboard at this point. Then I just pick which patch for which song based on how much gain and edge I want on the sound. I'm not trying to get a vast variety of basic sounds, just a basic palette that will work from jazz clean through roots (blues, reggae, African, latin) into medium gain blues rock. Something like Eric Johnson violin tone or Bill Frisell's Rat sounds or Neil Young's amp exploding tones are about as gainy as I get.

Sometime soon I want to try a different approach with my LF 12+ where I can cycle through on one switch 2-3 things, like rhythm-lead-uber lead or whatever, but kicking on and off a variety of things in one patch in one shot. I also have more experimental patches with lots of stuff going on, but they're not particularly organized at this point as they're not for gigging (yet anyway).

Haven't actually set mine up yet. Only had it a few weeks. But I plan on doing a 10 pach bank ( I use minimal effects really. OD pedal, delay,EQ, maybe a compressor). Ill have 10 banks with cleans to the left on the MFC (IA 1 and 6) and higher gain blocks on the right 5 and 10) and the middle for all the mild gainamp types, which is what I use the most of any way. I'll use the X/Y as a channel switch. (clean setting on X and higher gain setting of the same amp on Y).

Last edited:
My first 10 presets are all going to be modeled around my Gibson SG, and the next 10 around my Carvin DC727. Both are pretty different tonally so i can't really use the same patch for both guitars. I'm probably going to leave 21-50 open for messing around/synth patches, and 50+ is all dedicated to tone matching.

I think 100% in terms of performance

front row
MFC 1 = riff/solo1 <-- my work horse preset for loud songs and is most commonly used
so this is one switch 1 on the MFC.. front row, left hand side.. easy to see.. easy to hit..

MFC 2 = riff/solo2 <-- a variant of riff/solo1 and is the next most used

MFC 3 = clean/solo1 <-- the principle ballad preset

MFC 4 = riff/solo5 <-- used in one song

MFC 5 = AtmoPad <-- used for an intro

second row
MFC 6 = riff/solo3 <-- used in one song

MFC 7 = riff/solo4 <-- used in one song

MFC 8 = clean/solo2 <-- a variant of clean/solo1 [notice that on the MFC the clean presets line up in col 3]

MFC 9 = riff/solo6 <-- a variant of riff/solo5 that's never been used live but was too cool not have have loaded up

MFC 10 = AtmoSolo <-- a cool variant of AtmoPad that's never been used live, but it's a cool / fun toy to have around
notice again how the Atmo presets line up in col 5

I'll play the bulk of the set with 1, 2 and 3.
5 is used twice
4, 6, and 7 are for one song, so their usage depends upon the set list
9 and 10 are for fun

Back
Top Bottom