Setting up FRFR Patches for a Tube Amp

Jerry K.

Experienced
I have some patches that sound great going FRFR and I want to use them through a Tube amp. Do I simply disable the Amp and Cabinet in the patch or is there more I need to do. I would like to set up a bank of patches that are ready to go for the times I will be playing through an amp but was hoping not to have to change anything on the unit but the patch.

Thanks!

I've found that my better patches work well without much change other than dropping the cab block (and the PEQ block that I had set up to blocking frequencies below 100hz and above 5600hz). Sometimes I would drop the Sag parameter to Off to kill the power amp sim, sometimes not. If I do drop the power amp sim I have to tweak amp block levels and sometimes EQ.

I had a lot of patches set up with the Effects Loops block on a separate row that branched off just after the amp block so my full patch could go to output 1 to FRFR and the branched off version (with it's own delay and/or reverb block) went to output 2 via the effects Loop block and on to a guitar amp/cab. As I recall creating those patches wasn't any extra work or compromise they sounded great through either system. I could switch from one to the other really quickly.

Now I run 4 cable into a combo amp and rarely use the FRFR unless I'm recording or really want to hear the cab sims for certain patches.

I just connected the Axe to my amp using the 4 cable method and putting the fx loop just after my stomp boxes. Wow! It sounds fantastic! In the past, I had tried just plugging into the front of the amp and bypassing the cabinet and amp block but this way sounds so much better. I do have one question. Is it normal for output 1 and 2 to be at about 3 o'clock. I had to put them there to match the amp.

Also, how do you keep the Stereo FRFR hook up at the same time as the 4 cable method. I would like to be able to work on patches at home on both set-ups with out re-patching cables. It seems like the Audio I/O set-up prevents this?

Thanks for the help and thanks to Yek for his hook up diagram!

I was about to experiment with this set up my self. I think the following will do it.
If you use the unbalanced output 1 jack for the 4 cable method and the XLR balanced outs to supply the stereo FRFR amp/speaker then simply bypassing the Effects Loop in a preset will kill output 2 and make the preset one continuous signal chain so in theory all that would be left would be to make the cab block active (and the poweramp sim if you turned Sag down).
Of course this doesn't include the real amp as part of the signal chain when running stereo to FRFR.
I'll know later tonight when I get to play again.

Back
Top Bottom