Setting up a Pan pedal.

Narzugon

Power User
I want to use a vol/pan block to fade between two amp heads. Seems pretty straight forward but I cannot get it to work properly. It seems that no matter how I pan the vol/pan with it's L/R and or Balance I cannot isolate one head w/o the signal some how going through the other as well. I've tried setting each head's inputs opposite of each other (L/R) and any other combo I could dream up. No go.

Here's what I have:

vol/pan -> Amp 1 -> Cab -> Out
-> Amp 2 -^

If the positioning of my diagram stays in place, you'll see Vol/Pan is using two outputs. One to Amp1 and another to Amp2. Both amps feed one cab.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the replies guys. Ultimately I was going to set up my LF-Pro to change the CC of my expression pedal. So the same Exp pedal could be toggled between being a Master Volume for the whole rig and a Pan for the two amps. I don't think I could use the Mixer block in this context since it doesn't have a CC#. Correct?

I was reading in another post about someone suggesting a Filter block to split the signal. I may give that a go as well since that could be a dual purpose block (trying to save every CPU cycle I can on this patch).

I don't think I could use the Mixer block in this context since it doesn't have a CC#. Correct?

the idea is to use the same external controller on the gain on the 2 lines you use in the mixer. one 0-1, the other 1-0

Right. But I don't understand how that would work when setting up the Exp pedal to be dual purpose since I have no way to detach the Exp pedal from controlling the mixer. Correct?

If I understand it correctly, I plan to set an IA on the LF-Pro to change an Expression Pedal's CC to another CC. The example you use in your tutorial was wah to vol and back (thanks for those btw - I still reference those articles from time to time. Great job).

So lets say I have the Vol pedal at 100% vol. I hit my IA to change the Exp Pedal's control of Vol1 block to Vol2 block which is setup to be a pan. I can then pan to either amp. Hit the IA again and I'm back to controlling Vol1 which is setup as the rig's overall volume.

If I use the mixer instead of a pan, I have no way to disengage it from the Exp pedal when I go back to using the Exp pedal as a main Vol.

Btw, I got the pan working a bit ago. No idea what I was doing wrong last night other than it being 5am. User error obviously. :\ I'm still interested in your idea. If anything for future reference.

Right. But I don't understand how that would work when setting up the Exp pedal to be dual purpose since I have no way to detach the Exp pedal from controlling the mixer. Correct?

If I understand it correctly, I plan to set an IA on the LF-Pro to change an Expression Pedal's CC to another CC. The example you use in your tutorial was wah to vol and back (thanks for those btw - I still reference those articles from time to time. Great job).

So lets say I have the Vol pedal at 100% vol. I hit my IA to change the Exp Pedal's control of Vol1 block to Vol2 block which is setup to be a pan. I can then pan to either amp. Hit the IA again and I'm back to controlling Vol1 which is setup as the rig's overall volume.

If I use the mixer instead of a pan, I have no way to disengage it from the Exp pedal when I go back to using the Exp pedal as a main Vol.

Btw, I got the pan working a bit ago. No idea what I was doing wrong last night other than it being 5am. User error obviously. :\ I'm still interested in your idea. If anything for future reference.

I don't see the problem. In my example Liquid-Foot Pro - EXPERT: Changing the CC of Exp Pedal

let's asume CC 33 is the CC for the external controller controlling GAIN1 and GAIN2 of the mixer
and CC 41 is the CC for the external controller controlling the main Volume

as you can see in my example, CC33 is on by default (mixer)
then I switch the cc for the expr1 from CC33 to CC41 (main volume)
second switch will turn cc back to CC33 (mixer)

should work IMO

Ah, it just clicked. Up to this point (3 years later) I've only used Ext Controller's 1 and 2 for the 2 expression pedals I have. I've never needed to assign other Ext Controller CC's so I never considered their uses.

In this case the Mixer block doesn't have a CC# of it's own like Wah or Vol has. This was my source of confusion. So if I assigned Ext Ctrl 1 to a gain modifier I'm guessing that it would continue controlling the gain after I send the CC# for the Wah or Vol or whatever I want EXP1 to change to.

But now I see that I can assign EXP1 CC to lets say 26 (Ext CTRL 11) and in the Mixer block assign the gain modifiers accordingly.

Thanks for the lesson!

Back
Top Bottom