Setting Output Levels in Software Only

KevinP

Inspired
Hey All,

Just got a pair of Axe III's for our band and wondering how I should handle output volume with the knobs. Background we are a silent stage band and go direct through our split snake and into our Midas console that we use for in ears. On our Ax8's and previously on our Axe-FX II's we just left the knob all the way up all the time - that way it never changed and we could easily check it to make sure it was where it was supposed to be. I'm wondering if there is a better way of handling that on the 3's, like if there is a soft control that would bypass the knob as we don't ever really want to use it, those tend to get bumped/changed from time to time and since we don't have a stage tech I'd prefer it just always be consistent (without taping over the knob). From looking at the manual I can adjust the outputs down using the Output 1 and Output 2 level, but that still allows the knob to be active. Anyone have better ideas?

Thanks much for your input

-Kevin

I'm in a hybrid silent stage band that uses a back track for drums, bass and FX so precise consistent level is critical to sit in the mix. I've never had issue at 12:00 noon. It's easy to see and in one of the output screens you can fine tune by digital display to 50% for precise measurement. That said I don't see why you couldn't gain stage your input/output/preset levels so you could run full out if you wanted but I would have to think a bit of caution would be required in case that one rogue preset, update or whatever required a reset.

So then, just dime it like I do with all the other systems and make sure the presets aren't clipping on they way out, easy enough.
That’s what I do for controlled environments. My mixer after the axe has the channel gain set to zero and it’s perfect level. It’s a very hot signal so just know that.

When I’m not mixing, I can’t get a sound guy to turn the channel gain down because they all think it MUST be 12 o clock or more on any mixer. So then I use the axe knob between 9 o clock and 3 o clock depending on their needs.

When I’m not mixing, I can’t get a sound guy to turn the channel gain down because they all think it MUST be 12 o clock or more on any mixer.
That’s weird. Do they all work at the same place? Or were they all trained by the same person?

That’s weird. Do they all work at the same place? Or were they all trained by the same person?
It is weird but almost every sound guy I’ve worked with thinks that. Not the really good ones, but majority. They think the signal is weak under 12 o clock. Then I send them a healthy signal and they’re like woah that‘s way too loud and I see the channel gain at 1 o clock. TURN IT DOWN.

It is weird but almost every sound guy I’ve worked with thinks that. Not the really good ones, but majority. They think the signal is weak under 12 o clock. Then I send them a healthy signal and they’re like woah that‘s way too loud and I see the channel gain at 1 o clock. TURN IT DOWN.
Gotta love widespread misinformation!

Balanced TRS out to my UA Apollo 6x +4dBu line input, +4dBu output on Axe III and Apollo sits around -15dBfs on the meters with the output knob maxed. The mic pre line input adds +10dB gain unless you use a unison preamp plugin for some reason.
I guess my point is that not all preamps have unity gain line inputs so you'll get different results at different venues and there's probably no way to avoid the output knobs on the Axe III.

Back
Top Bottom