Setting OP levels for 4cm question and Friedman Jake E Lee clip

cragginshred

Fractal Fanatic
Here is my new Friedman Jake E Lee amp in a bit of it's glory. FM3 in 4cm for a bit of delay in the loop and a real Wampler Tumnus pushing the front end.

The highest gain setting had suuuuuper loud noise. The IP gate and a 2nd gate in the post portion of the chain could not touch the noise. Sounded like a Jet..... All I can think is I need to reduce the OP levels internally??

When I plugged straight in to the amp with nothing in the loop the noise was as expected for the high gain side (about 10x less tho) Thoughts?

For those interested here is a clip -it's insane how much clarity, and percussive punch this rig has!!

You probably need Humbuster cables if you're not already using them for cables going into the amp's input and effects loop return. The ground loop hum was pretty bad for me without them.

Are you connecting the FM3 to the amp as described in the manual?
OUT 2 -> Amp Input
Amp FX Send -> INPUT 2
OUT 1 -> Amp FX Return (XLR to TS)

If so, then the cable from OUT 2 to the amp's input should be a Humbuster. I'm not sure you can make a Humbuster out of a XLR to TS cable, but maybe it's possible. I've had the best results using the method where you run your pre and post paths both into OUT 2 and pan them hard L/R instead of using OUT 1. Doing that with Humbusters on both of the FM3's OUT 2 jacks I get almost no noise with my Friedmans and can use fairly conservative gate settings.

@marshall2553 Owned them for years, yes routing is good, been gigging that way with another real head for many moons.

According to Dave Friedman he said it's because: of 'the ad/ da circuitry in front of a high gain amp' I know above our pay grade, hopefully someone can help?

@marshall2553 Owned them for years, yes routing is good, been gigging that way with another real head for many moons.

According to Dave Friedman he said it's because: of 'the ad/ da circuitry in front of a high gain amp' I know above our pay grade, hopefully someone can help?
If you're using an XLR to TS cable from OUT 1 it may be worth trying the panned OUT 2 setup with two humbusters instead. It works great for me with a Dirty Shirley and JJ Jr. I'm sure the JEL has the same type of effects loop as Dave's other amps. Do you have the OUT 1 level set to -10 or +4? Where are your output knobs on the FM3 set? It may help to post your preset, I could give it a try later.

@marshall2553 dude that would be great usually these posts get sooo overlooked as most do not use real amps anymore.

I re read your post and saw you actually own real amps, and Friedmans!!

Ok, what I have not done is change Out 1 level,..your talking in the I/O menu correct? Tonight I will do that. Dave also commented in an e-mail this am that the 'loop is wide open on the return of this amp so the noise will be amplified'
He also said try pulling the input cable once set up and trying that.

My OP knobs on the top of my FM3 were rolled back to about 8.

I can post the 4cm pre set I'm using tonight. One last consideration is I have a real Wampler Tumnus for my pre/OD
Weird thing is this hiss is Only on the high gain portion of the JCM ch. But since that's where all the high gain is I guess that makes sense

Dude thank you, you my new buddy!!! I'm in Calif and will send you the pre set tonight

Back
Top Bottom