Setting low cut high cut ... where to start from ...

Low cut is around 100Hz for me, but it also depends on the style of music, metal would have a lower cut than Rock for instance, Hi-Cut depends on how much fizz the IR is letting through, but 7kHz-ish usually.

I'm still a firm believer in no or minimum high cut. It usually kills all the life in the tone, and just gets muddy and lost among other instruments. I'd rather pick a different IR instead.

Low cut depends on the IR. Could be none, could be 150 Hz (or more), 12 or 18 dB / oct slope.

I set my low cuts around 90 hz and hi cut is at 9000hz in the Cab block preamp tab. I favor bright tones and mainly use the 5153's

Some other things that come into play from my experience. There are hi/lo cut parameters scattered throughout the blocks in my kitchen sink preset. It's the combination of all those parameters that ends up at the output block. I set the cab block IR (they have their own hi/lo cuts) to play well with my main tone and then tailor the other scenes to work with that same cab block setup. I look for a certain consistency among all the scenes from an EQ standpoint. That way our sound engineer isn't chasing me all night.

I'm the type of player that wants "my" tone to come through in everything I do - from clean to mean. I don't try to perfectly match the guitar tone of every cover we do.... It's me and my tone playing, but it still sounds right. Bright, lively, and tight YMMV

I'm the type of player that wants "my" tone to come through in everything I do - from clean to mean. I don't try to perfectly match the guitar tone of every cover we do.... It's me and my tone playing, but it still sounds right. Bright, lively, and tight YMMV

Love it! :)

Did Eddie try to sound like a Motown session player? Hell, not even those guys who originally wrote
and recorded a lot of the timeless classics are bent on recreating their tones from 20, 30, or 40 years
ago.

Cool if some want to, though. :)

I'm still a firm believer in no or minimum high cut. It usually kills all the life in the tone, and just gets muddy and lost among other instruments. I'd rather pick a different IR instead.

Low cut depends on the IR. Could be none, could be 150 Hz (or more), 12 or 18 dB / oct slope.
Same. I used to increase hi cut until the tone lost its sparkle, and then bring it back up, but then I thought, why? Now I just use amp controls. Amp pre-EQ bass cut, at least 60-80, Cooper Carter’s 1k bump, and maybe a touch of definition.

I use a PEQ just before the Out block. Typically low cut around 100 with a 36 slope, hi cut around 7k - 7.5k with a slope of 36.

I also sweep the frequencies to eliminate the nasty nasal sections - typically one around 2.3k and one at about 5k (from memory). Set these to -3db with a q of almost 1.

No high cuts here. The frequency response of the cab+speaker+mic are captured in the IR. The high end harmonic content is really nice, especially the even order harmonics from the mic pre models. If I need a lo-fi sound, I’ll use my tone knob, the amp knobs, a different IR, or EQ in post.

Conversely, I high pass at the cab block for 2 reasons: there’s nothing valuable down there for standard tuning and it cleans up my IEM mix on tours where there’s not a dedicated monitor desk so I usually get a pre-fx send for my guitar in my ears, meaning I don’t hear FOH’s EQ in my ears.

Last edited:
Don’t need cuts for home playing. Live I start around 75 and 8k on cleaner sounds an maybe up to 160 and 6500 on high gain sounds. Just helps control the mix.

Back
Top Bottom