Setting Levels

Toopy14

Axe-Master
Can someone please elaborate on the highlighted text from the manual. Not sure what 'trims' refers to. I'm trying to set my levels when I use the Axe-Fx in front of an amp.

3.1 Changing input levels will NOT affect what you hear. Inputs are compensated, meaning that as you lower trims to optimize signal-to-noise ratio going into the converters, the output of the converters is adjusted inversely so “what you hear” (and what reaches the signal processor) always remains the same.

Thanks

Go to the I/O menu, Input tab, you'll see three input level controls there. The page title is "A/D Input Levels".

I believe what this paragraph is saying, is that as you adjust the input levels on the above mentioned screen, the output level of the A/D conversion doesn't change, and so, will not affect your overall volume.

Generally the easiest way to adjust your output volume on a "per-preset" basis is adjusting the "Level" control in the Amp Block. Many other ways to do it also. (Using a Volume Block, Filter, etc.)

Thanks for the reply!

So if it doesn't affect volume level, what does it affect...dynamics?

I had the level set at about the half-way point (50.x%), which I believe was the default or close to it, but as I mentioned in another post, ever since the v18 updates, it felt like I really had to really hit the strings to get a decent tone. I tried turning the input level up and I noticed that it became easier to play and the strings/pickups on my Strat became more responsive.

the input level sets a signal-to-noise ratio. it makes sure that your input is louder than any electronic noise of the unit itself (this is not the same thing as noise from a high-gain amp sim).

there really is no "default" input setting. it all depends on your guitar and its output. extreme settings of the input level might affect tone, but it really shouldn't be used to get more gain.

follow my video, set it for your loudest guitar and leave it there. if you then use a guitar that is quieter, you need to do what you'd do on a real amp and turn up the Amp gain, or the Output Level.

Thanks for the reply!

So if it doesn't affect volume level, what does it affect...dynamics?

I had the level set at about the half-way point (50.x%), which I believe was the default or close to it, but as I mentioned in another post, ever since the v18 updates, it felt like I really had to really hit the strings to get a decent tone. I tried turning the input level up and I noticed that it became easier to play and the strings/pickups on my Strat became more responsive.

Adjust the input trim in the Amp block, it does basically what your thinking the input level does.

Chris nailed it (naturally). My only addition is that I recall Cliff saying it has NO effect on tone, except for sub-optimal Signal-Noise ratio. So technically, you could leave it too low and likely never notice... but since he's given the choice and ability to optimise S:N, you may as well :)

As Chris summarised, set it for your loudest guitar (highest output pickups, definitely actives if you have 'em), and don't look at it again. :)

As for the wording, I think "lower the trims" means "turn up the knobs", as the knobs are "trimming" the input signal the lower they're set... That's the only sense I can make of it. Either way, in that sentence, you could substitute "lower trims" with "turn knobs" :D

Plug your guitar in and turn it down until your not getting any red light on the inputs. Once you have solid yellow and no red, leave it right there.

As for the wording, I think "lower the trims" means "turn up the knobs", as the knobs are "trimming" the input signal the lower they're set... That's the only sense I can make of it. Either way, in that sentence, you could substitute "lower trims" with "turn knobs" :D

yikes! why would "lower" something mean to "turn up" something else? your statement is very confusing.

"Trim" is a word that means a similar thing to "Gain." it's a noun, not a verb. you aren't "trimming" anything in the sense of reducing or cutting something...

honestly the the OP doesn't need to understand the sentence highlighted in the first post in order to use the Axe-Fx correctly. the highlighted sentence is there to explain why there isn't a drastic (or any) volume change when adjusting the parameter - you are setting the best signal-to-noise ratio, that's it.

set the Input Volume as i described and you're ready to go.

Last edited:
yikes! why would "lower" something mean to "turn up" something else? your statement is very confusing.

"Trim" is a word that means a similar thing to "Gain." it's a noun, not a verb. you aren't "trimming" anything in the sense of reducing or cutting something...

honestly the the OP doesn't need to understand the sentence highlighted in the first post in order to use the Axe-Fx correctly. the highlighted sentence is there to explain why there isn't a drastic (or any) volume change when adjusting the parameter - you are setting the best signa-to-noise ratio, that's it.

set the Input Volume as i described and you're ready to go.

Well, it's the only way I can make sense of the bold section in the OP. Which, to be fair, was the whole of the OP's question - he didn't ask how to set it, but what the bold part meant. Further, lowering something turns another thing up quite often - think of a high-pass filter. The lower you set that, the more you turn up the bass! :D

Anyway, I finished the semantic discussion with an appropriate summary and a restating of what you've just repeated, so I think this is all unnecessary. We agree on all necessary points, and have advised OP appropriately :)

Well, if you have a high-pass filter, it cuts bass. The higher you turn it, the more bass it cuts. Ergo, when you turn down a high-pass filter, you cut less bass, or "add bass". I know it's not technically adding bass, but you get the point :)

Back
Top Bottom