Setting Hi/Low Cut in Amp vs. Cab

guitarjim

Experienced
Just wondering what you guys do. I've been toying with this as I convert my presets to v10. I get it that it occurs at different point in the chain, but adjusting at the cab seems to be consistently giving me more recognizable and pleasing results.

I usually lo/hi cut in the cab, only after trying all the basic Pre and Power settings in the amp.

Makes more sense to me to cut the frequencies in the Cab block for EQ shaping rather than in the Amp block. Not sure why, might just be a signal path thing.

If the cab block doesn't do it, I do explore the Power Amp cuts, then the other cuts in the amp block advanced page.

But with 10, so far I haven't needed to change ANY advanced settings or cab cuts.

I use the amp block most of the time, especially if the extra low/high end is inherent to the amp model I've chosen. I previously used the cab block exclusively but to my ears doing it in the amp vs. cab block results in less loss of the "character" of the tone. In other words, it seems more "organic".

However, there are certain situations where I can just tell that the extra low end is being generated by the cab vs. my settings in the amp. In those situations, I'll cut lows in the cab block. Perfect example is the new Basketweave AX cab. I absolutely love this cab but most of the time I find I have to cut some lows with it in the cab block.

I always use the lo cut in the amp block if I simply want to tighten the bass. A lot of guys use a drive block for this purpose but drive blocks also usually increase the gain (or perceived gain at least) and change the tone somewhat. If I don't need any boost and simply want to tighten the bass with no tone change I always use the amp block.

I always set the low cut at 120hz in both the amp and cab. I don't know what's cutting what or if one is enough or which one that one may be, but I like it. Or to put it this way - I can't remember having too much bass doing it this way :D

Back
Top Bottom