Setting for minimum output volume

mitch236

Experienced
I am using an expression pedal to control the overall output volume of my Axe. The pedal is connected to my LF Jr. I can easily set the Output 1 volume to be controlled by CC#7 (my particular setup) and it works fine. But because I only need to change the volume slightly, I find I'm only using the last 10-15% of the throw of the pedal which makes it difficult to be accurate. I'm wondering if there is a way to set the minimum value to the Output volume in the menu system. That way, I could assign my expression pedal to that control and when the pedal was full off (up) the output volume would be a controllable percentage of max (let's say 85%). Then I could use the full sweep of the pedal to control the volume range I want.

Right now, I have to go into each preset and setup the amp's output level with my expression pedal and it is very tedious to setup and almost impossible to change on the fly since I have to change every preset individually.

The Boss EV5 expr. pedal is plastic but useful because it has a dial at the side. You can use that to set a minimum value. Works great for volume.

I have the boss FV-500H (metal) Not the same exactly I guess. But there was a tip on here a ways back I use all the time. I just use ext #2-Set as continuous-Mine is expression pedal or volume pedal.I put the volume knob on the Boss at about 80% of full. I control output 1 of the axe with this. OK found where I saved the text of the post-Don't remember the OP though.

Copied and pasted here:
Anyway, the best solution that I came up with (and I still do this NOW) is to use a Roland EV-5 Expression pedal. I simply plug the Roland EV-5 into the "Pedal 1" 1/4" jack on the back of my AXE FX. I also assign this "Pedal 1" jack to control master volume globally. The Roland EV-5 is being used as an external volume pedal. This particular pedal has a wheel on the side of it that you can turn to set your minimum volume level (from 0 to 10). I set it at about "8". So, when the pedal is all the way back, it's slightly quieter than it is when it's all the way forward. It doesn't affect sound, simply overall volume. I keep it back for most of the show & I push it all the way forward for guitar solos or parts where I need to be louder. It works fantastic! It doesn't alter my tone 1 bit. I have another guitarist in the band and I can now be heard over him perfectly when it's my time to solo. If we have no sound man, it's a must. When we DO have a sound man, he doesn't have to do anything for me. He never has to pay attention to when I'm doing a lead or adjust the faders on the board. It's the best solution I've come up with, especially given the limitations of the Boss GT-8 that I'm using as a MIDI control device for the time being. It also keeps me from having to remember to program a volume boost of some kind into each of my MANY patches that I use live. Finally, I can easily adjust how dramatic the volume difference is on the fly by simply scrolling that little wheel on the side of the pedal. It never varies much. Again, I'm usually around "8", but occasionally I've made the volume boost more dramatic by setting it just under 8, or more subtle by setting it just over 8.

The advantage (I would think) of doing it my way vs. the way other people may be approaching it (by boosting mids or something) is that using the pedal as I do has absolutely ZERO effect on the sound of the patch. Using an EQ to boost often concerns me that the tone will be shaped slightly different once the boost is turned on. This was another concern of mine when I was pondering the possibilities.

I have the Moog pedal and it has a knob on the side but it seems to affect the maximum output level. Is there something I'm missing? Maybe a way to change what the knob controls?

mitch236 said:
I have the Moog pedal and it has a knob on the side but it seems to affect the maximum output level. Is there something I'm missing? Maybe a way to change what the knob controls?

Sorry-I thought that's what you wanted to do? Use the pedal on every patch as an overall output volume solution? Guess I misunderstood

I use the pedal to control the output volume. When my toe is down, the vol is max, when the toe is up, the vol is minimum. Right now, minimum is zero volume. I want to control the minimum to be a percentage of the max (say 85%) so that when my toe is up, there is still volume (not muted).

I sent Cliff a PM about it but haven't heard back. I hope he understands my convoluted description!

How about adding a Mixer block to your patch, and assigning a controller (pedal) to Gain.
Then set the Start parameter to for example 70% and End to 100%.
This way your pedal will control volume with a minimum value.

The problem with the Mixer block (and I am doing the same in the amp's level) is that it takes so long to setup the sweep of the pedal to get a good difference in volumes. This is what I would love:

In the I/O menu:
Out Volume=External Controller 1
Minimum Value=(assignable from 0-99%)

That way, I would just dial up a value and that would work across all my presets. Awesome! Just one more parameter, please!!!!

mitch236 said:
I use the pedal to control the output volume. When my toe is down, the vol is max, when the toe is up, the vol is minimum. Right now, minimum is zero volume. I want to control the minimum to be a percentage of the max (say 85%) so that when my toe is up, there is still volume (not muted).

I sent Cliff a PM about it but haven't heard back. I hope he understands my convoluted description!

Guess I am missing something here-That's exactly what I have-100% all the way down and about 80% up??

Stratman68 said:
mitch236 said:

Guess I am missing something here-That's exactly what I have-100% all the way down and about 80% up??

Please tell me how you did it? I can't figure it out. Maybe I need to try it again???

The post I copied and pasted in before is exactly what I did. my volume on my Boss exp pedal is set at about 8 (max being 10) I set it to control the output 1 volume in the control page of i/o.Did the calibration on the next tab and that was it. I undid it and just set it again in about 3 minutes?
Good Luck

So you are plugging the pedal right into the Axe? Maybe that's why mine isn't working the same. I plug my pedal into the back of my LF Jr.

I don't want this request to die, it is too important to me. Here is a copy of a post I posted at the Liquid Foot forum as I can get the same end result, it just seems to make more sense to add the feature to the Axe than to the controller but either way will work for me...

Jeff, I've tried asking Cliff about this but haven't recieved a response (as I think it would be better/easier for the Axe to control this). I would like to use an expression pedal connected to my Jr to control the overall output volume of my Axe. This is already possible, I know but I have a different take on what I want. I don't need to reduce the volume to 0. In fact, I don't need to reduce the volume much at all, maybe 10dB. So I would like to have the full sweep of my expression pedal only change the volume from max to maybe 10dB lower. Now, I have to be so careful with my foot that it is very distracting (because the pedal controls volume from max to off). Maybe you can add a parameter to the expression pedal setup that allows control of the starting and ending value for the sweep of a continous expression pedal?

If anyone has any input, please let me know!!

Back
Top Bottom