Seriously considering the FM9 MKII Turbo today

John Cordy's videos could help you to have an opinion in this area it seems to me

YT Link
Thank you for the suggestion and link. To be totally honest, I have been watching quite a few of his videos in the past few months since stumbling onto them.
What I've failed to do is watch the videos in their entirety. I enjoy his playing so much I haven't paid very close attention to what modeler or amp he is using, and have skipped the instructional sections. But I don't mind at all going back through his videos and gleaning information pertaining to the Fractal units.

do it jewish GIF

The AC20 model has the most addicting edge of breakup tones. My main preset is an AC20 and a Mark IV. All the shades and colors you could ask for.

Yup, another nod to the AC20!, the Dirty Shirley is another good one for that depending on the flavor you like!

AC20 nails the EOB tone for sure. Used it in a huge convention center gig a couple days ago in Raleigh. Sounded great

I'm not very familiar with the amps in the unit as I've only skimmed the surface gathering info over the years, but now that ones on the way I'll start deep diving tutorials and demos.
Just an assumption on my part, but I'm guessing the AC20 is based on a Morgan AC20? If so, I'm very much looking forward to tinkering with it.
In the meantime, I have quite a bit of equipment to sell off to cover my latest, and hopefully last acquisition, at least as far as guitars and amps are concerned.

If you have the time, when you get your unit, spend some time auditioning every single preset and every scene in a preset with all your guitars and take notes. I built a spreadsheet listing each preset and I've gone through the entire list with my Les Paul and now I'm repeating the task with my strat. What I find is there are certain scenes I may like in a preset, but not the others. Also, when playing a scene, have FM9 Edit running and turn some things on and off. You'll see there are effect blocks in the preset that are always bypassed in all of the scenes. Try engaging them and see what happens. Also, many of the effect blocks like reverb, delay, drive, chorus, etc. have multiple channels. Try using different channels. You may find a sound that you really like that isn't one of the defined scenes. When you encounter something that surprises you, try and dive down into the block definitions to figure out how the sound is made. You'll learn a lot doing this. I never did this for any other multieffector/modeling unit I owned before because the presets were all so lame. It is worth doing all this with the Fractal units.

When you figure out your favorite sounds, edit that preset/scene and save off the block definitions to your block library. Then when you go to build a preset you can just call up the block definition and get the sound you want.

I have an FM9 T and love it. I use it at church and have gotten nothing but compliments. The sound guy has finally discovered I sound good and I can play and has turned me up in the mix (if you play at a church you'll know what I mean - for some reason you can never hear the electric guitar in the mix at a lot of churches). The unit is a joy to play though. Take the time to dial in your tones.

Yup.

That model is so good, I think if I was ever to buy a tube amp again I'd seek out an AC-20 combo. It's fantastic in the unit. Has some weird Marshall/Vox hybrid sound going on that's hard to describe.

Thanks for the quick responses and the Wiki link. The amp list is a little daunting 🫣
I just looked at the Fractal homepage and went through the menu. There's a wealth of information available. I have several free days over the next two weeks to start wading through it and get a little more familiar before having the FM9 in hand.
I did watch a video last night and saw the Fractal being used as an interface. From what I gathered you can hook the FM9 directly to studio monitors?
I haven't done enough research yet, at the moment I'm in an information overload state and need time to absorb data. But if this is indeed the case (FM9 as an interface), I need to get a set of near field monitors on the way for adjusting rigs.

I'm not very familiar with the amps in the unit as I've only skimmed the surface gathering info over the years, but now that ones on the way I'll start deep diving tutorials and demos.
Just an assumption on my part, but I'm guessing the AC20 is based on a Morgan AC20? If so, I'm very much looking forward to tinkering with it.
In the meantime, I have quite a bit of equipment to sell off to cover my latest, and hopefully last acquisition, at least as far as guitars and amps are concerned.

Yes it's based on the AC20, there are a couple variations in fractal land. I personally use the 12AX7 treble one, but the others are great too. There are a couple factory cabinets in the unit that are also based on the AC20 cabinet. My ears prefer this amp with greenbacks, not AC style speakers.

If you have the time, when you get your unit, spend some time auditioning every single preset and every scene in a preset with all your guitars and take notes. I built a spreadsheet listing each preset and I've gone through the entire list with my Les Paul and now I'm repeating the task with my strat. What I find is there are certain scenes I may like in a preset, but not the others. Also, when playing a scene, have FM9 Edit running and turn some things on and off. You'll see there are effect blocks in the preset that are always bypassed in all of the scenes. Try engaging them and see what happens. Also, many of the effect blocks like reverb, delay, drive, chorus, etc. have multiple channels. Try using different channels. You may find a sound that you really like that isn't one of the defined scenes. When you encounter something that surprises you, try and dive down into the block definitions to figure out how the sound is made. You'll learn a lot doing this. I never did this for any other multieffector/modeling unit I owned before because the presets were all so lame. It is worth doing all this with the Fractal units.

When you figure out your favorite sounds, edit that preset/scene and save off the block definitions to your block library. Then when you go to build a preset you can just call up the block definition and get the sound you want.

I have an FM9 T and love it. I use it at church and have gotten nothing but compliments. The sound guy has finally discovered I sound good and I can play and has turned me up in the mix (if you play at a church you'll know what I mean - for some reason you can never hear the electric guitar in the mix at a lot of churches). The unit is a joy to play though. Take the time to dial in your tones.
Thanks for the information, I will try implementing that method to get familiar with what's available and find what will work for me, that's a great suggestion!
I'm a minimalist with effects, I like a good ambient Reverb that I can vary the length and amount applied as needed and a spring reverb at times. Two or three varieties of delays and a couple of od stomps and I'm good to go. I wouldn't be using that many variants on one rig, probably just one of each effect, I like to limit my options or I won't spend much time playing.
As for guitars, I made that scenario a little simpler for myself last November and December. I had three electrics and liked each one, but they weren't interchangeable for me. I was dealing with the same situation you stated, not every rig I was using sounded good with each guitar.
I also struggled when switching guitars, each neck was different, and unlike many other players I can't go from one type of neck to another without fumbling around. I bought a new guitar in November and played it for a few weeks, it will cover any type of music I might play. So I sold my other three electrics and bought a second matching model guitar as a backup to the new one, just in a different color.
I haven't played electric guitar in a live environment in almost three decades when I moved from stage to front of house. I've taken a break from foh and want to start playing live again.
And yes, I'm very familiar with churches and their approach to sound reinforcement. I've done audio/video installations in church's throughout the Midwest and Southeast since the mid 1990's, I stopped doing that this year, I'm getting to old and to tired. But I've been invited to set in sometime at a church with their p&w band, maybe get to it in early summer.

Yes, the AC20 is modeled after the Morgan AC20. I’m more than happy to share my preset with you when you get your fm9 for a starting point. Feel free to PM me any time.

Back
Top Bottom