Seriously? 10 yrs old - Young Girl

Stratman68

Axe-Master
Her control and vibrato are spot on and she handles the whammy bar like a pro. I have to believe these young Chinese, Korean, etc kids are super disciplined and dedicated.
She played a mean rendition of Cliffs of Dover at 8 years old. Just astonishes me. I know she is not the only one. But she sure is in the top of the bunch, imho of course.

Steve Vai’s stuff generally does my head in. Too far beyond my comprehension for the most part... KIDS playing Steve Vai’s stuff is ...well ...it’s Twilight-Zone shit. :0)

Glad she smiled a few times as she got her groove on - also happy she showed a distinct lack of respect for the cameraman and viewer too! ...Ain’t nothing wrong with exceptionalism, but kids gotta be kids. :0) ...sometimes I worry for some of these too-serious pint-size phenoms, but Yoyo looks like she’s in a good place. :0)

Wishing her all the best! ..bright futures for exceptional talent. :0)

So I am posting another one and I am trying to understand why "ANYONE" would give this a thumbs down. Has to be about jealousy.
I seriously doubt Eric Johnson would give this thumbs down. People truly are weird animals.
This young lady deserves nothing but encouragement. Is this perfect, nope. But sure moves right along. All of 11 or 12 yrs old now.

Nicely done considering the age... Mostly she got the songs both technically correct. Certainly worth encouraging and pretty amazing.

However there is also a lot of "soul" that isn't there.

For the Love of God is my favorite instrumental ever and the way Vai plays it there is emotion pouring out - which is why it's my favorite. Regardless of the technical feats it is the emotional content of the song that grabs me.

I got NO sense of that from her rendition... She was playing the notes where Vai is living the notes.

Now, obviously, she is a young person and the fact that she plays these pieces at all is really cool, but to me it was pretty stiff - missing a lot of nuances.

She really has the Vai style of "circular" vibrato down, though.

Give her a few more years and she'll probably be really good!

Dude, I can't help but think you have a 'thing' for female guitarists. :tonguewink:

Truth be told its good to see a female musician who is not a vocalist. Which seems to be the vast majority of them. Also, there is nothing special at seeing young kids be good at things. Young children have an ability to quickly learn and pick up things. It's adults who still manage to learn new things and become proficient at it who are the real miracle, because as children get older that ability to quickly learn shuts off. So a language professor once explained to me.

Pity her guitar is painfully flat from about 1'25" on - I suspect she's leaning on the whammy bar. But the fact that she can't hear that it's so out of tune is a worry.... However, I also agree with unix-guy above: she's hitting the notes (well, somewhere near them) but there's no soul or feeling.

I agree that it's remarkable for a young girl to be playing this stuff, but surely we shouldn't be impressed just BECAUSE it's a young girl playing it? The music is the music. If it were me playing it like that, I wouldn't put it on YouTube, even if my parents were pushing me to do it, which is probably the case here.

Yeah, yeah - I know I'm a grumpy old fart :)

I started when I was 9, at 10 I couldn’t do this, nowhere near it. Age will cure all your guys nitpicks. Guys who crap on her technique will only discourage her. I don’t understand the inherent need to be negative with some people. Age apparently does not cure this problem.

OK so now I understand the "negative thumbs down crap in the youtube posts.
First feel and emotion come with age, so I cannot fault her there.
I also encourage those in this thread to post their rendition of cliffs of dover.

Lastly, no I do NOT have a thing for young girls playing guitar. I have for a thing for "young kids" playing so well/
Fact is the majority of them are girls.
Once again I learn a lesson.

Last edited:
I started when I was 9, at 10 I couldn’t do this, nowhere near it. Age will cure all your guys nitpicks. Guys who crap on her technique will only discourage her. I don’t understand the inherent need to be negative with some people. Age apparently does not cure this problem.

Thank you Don, that is my point exactly. I would like to see (*seriously) the guys here post their blazing rendition of Cliffs of Dover.

BTW, the girl took classical lessons at age 6. Quit after a year and concentrated on electric. She also said she cannot practice as much as she'sd like because she has school 5 days a week.

OK so now I understand the "negative thumbs down crap in the youtube posts.
First feel and emotion come with age, so I cannot fault her there.
I didn't see anyone responding here saying bad things about her technique. In fact, words like "amazing" and "remarkable" were used.

But technique is not music. Music has lots of elements beyond just the notes, especially guitar music.

Edit:

Maybe you guys are referring to the negative YouTube comments? I never look at those anyway... Typically full of asshats ;)

Last edited:
I didn't see anyone responding here saying bad things about her technique. In fact, words like "amazing" and "remarkable" were used.

But technique is not music. Music has lots of elements beyond just the notes, especially guitar music.

Edit:

Maybe you guys are referring to the negative YouTube comments? I never look at those anyway... Typically full of asshats ;)
Yes, for the most part for sure. I was thinking of the negativity on youtube, well mostly my intent anyway.

3:51-3:37 was classic!

I'm always amazed at young YouTube kids being so proficient. Yes, they have a better ability to learn and better resources than years ago, but it's the discipline to practice enough to be that good that impresses me. Thanks for sharing.

....I'm always amazed at young YouTube kids being so proficient. Yes, they have a better ability to learn and better resources than years ago, but it's the discipline to practice enough to be that good that impresses me....

..And especially when you see that many kids these days gravitate instead to base technology, and prefer the fantasy of video games over actually doing something with their time..

It'll still hit me on occasion ..."man, it's quiet out here" .. ( :0? ..outside, on a nice summer day.. ??? ..then it hits me ...all the kids are inside, faces glued to TV and computer screens instead of riding bikes, climbing trees and just having some fun.

So it Is kinda nice to see that some - like this young lady, are finding more constructive ways of spending their time. ...And, good for her! She's doing a great job. :0)

..And especially when you see that many kids these days gravitate instead to base technology, and prefer the fantasy of video games over actually doing something with their time..

It'll still hit me on occasion ..."man, it's quiet out here" .. ( :0? ..outside, on a nice summer day.. ??? ..then it hits me ...all the kids are inside, faces glued to TV and computer screens instead of riding bikes, climbing trees and just having some fun.

So it Is kinda nice to see that some - like this young lady, are finding more constructive ways of spending their time. ...And, good for her! She's doing a great job. :0)

If you're good enough, electronic sports or e-sports is profitable and is one of the fastest growing segments in terms of viewership.

If you're good enough, electronic sports or e-sports is profitable and is one of the fastest growing segments in terms of viewership.

Video games? ..don't have the mentality for them, myself. ..then ...I haven't had cable TV for over a decade. So .. ...what you just said ?? ..was waaay above my paygrade. :0)

..I would still imagine it would be easier to make a quick-buck - if you had to - or even wanted to - proficiently playing a box on a street corner, than you could playing video games. I have always made a-little money when playing for public consumption (for example). ..I would imagine that as good as this young lady is at That, she would be one of the last of us to starve.

It's a real skill she has developed, and considering her age, her future is much brighter for it.

Not everyone has the music mentality either so I can appreciate the talent it takes to become the best in video games. E-sports is already exceeding viewership of the NHL, NBA and MLB on finals games. You have to see the tournaments to believe it. They are becoming modern day rock stars.

There is an episode on a Netflix series called "7 days out" about League of Legends tournament. I am not a gamer but it is fascinating to me how this subculture is turning into mainstream. "Nerds becoming heros" Sounds familiar? Seems like there are parallels to how rock & roll evolved from a subculture to mainstream.

Unfortunately, those who can't do something either criticize or attempt to teach. Their self worth is measured by other's "failures". Quite sad really to live with such insecurity.

How many guitarists does it take to change a lightbulb?

Twenty. One to change it and the other 19 to tell him that they could do it better.

Old but still apt it seems!

Well, I have been playing guitar forever it seems. I also play a few select video games. Mainly Tomb Raider on PC. I see NO connection between the 2 except the dedication to get better. Music, imho is in a class of it's own.
Lets see: At age 9 or 10, choices are become a video game expert or study music. No contest in my opinion. Both have their place in todays culture but are in completely different categories. Please remember, I do LIKE video games Too!

Back
Top Bottom