Series effects query

Hey guys, quick question:

Typically, with hardware, I run a delay into a reverb, and from the first delay, each one is a delay, that has reverb on each echo...you know, delay into reverb in series...simple.

In my patch here, I have the delay running into the reverb in series, and I hear the initial reverb hit...and then the delays after are dry... I can't see that I'm doing anything wrong-ish...though apparently I am.

Anybody have this happen?

I don't there's ever really any right or wrong with effects, except maybe using a strong effect for too long and annoying everyone. It's all about sculpting an end tone that works with the music.

I use a delay in parallell with ambient reverb so what I'm doing is possibly a little unnatural because the delay repeats are dry, but I think this adds a little clarity. I do it this way so I can boost reverb levels for a big surf-style reverb and I can still use delay without it all getting too silly.

I too like my delays "dry" (not reverberated), so I put them in parallel paths bypassing the reverb.

But I don't think the TS was asking this. :)
Can you post the patch to check?

I haven't checked with my Ultra, but what's probably happening is, with such a signal chain:

---AMP-----CAB-----DLY------RVB--------

you usually have the reverb set to a certain mix, e.g. 20 %. So 80 % of the dry signal gets through - this holds true for the delays, too.

Try this:

-----AMP------CAB--------------------
.....................\DLY------RVB/

Delay and reverb in parallel with mix (in reverb block) set to 100%

Sebastian,

Are you running a cord back to a shunt in the main row back over to the reverb or straight from delay to reverb then back to main row?

If you go straight then won't only the delays get reverb?

Hi hankstone,

running straight into the lower row would be no different than keeping the signal in one row; you need to have two parallel branches.

Here's a better representation.
Notice the reverb Mix at 100%. The reverb block will put out a fully wet signal. Depending on the mix setting in the delay block it will either be fed with dry + delays sound, or, with delay mix = 100%, with the delays only.

Sebastian, when you run the effects in parallel like that how do you overcome the volume spike when you bypass either the delay or reverb?

Ringleader said:
Sebastian, when you run the effects in parallel like that how do you overcome the volume spike when you bypass either the delay or reverb?
(ok, I'm not Sebastian)
Set bypass to mute the effect input.

Exactly.
When I setup a patch like that, the bypass mode of delay or reverb is set to "mute in" or "mute out".
In the pic above it's not that way because it's not an actual patch of mine, I just opened Axe-Edit with a blank patch to get the routing picture.

Back
Top Bottom