Sennheiser HD600 vs Beyerdynamic DT880 Pros for creating presets

For the Ollo users here: any thoughts on the S4X vs S5X for our purposes?

I’ve not tried the 4s but drive the 5s … Open backed and angled drivers (soundstage).

They give me the most accurate representation of what’s going into my DAW/mix (out of many pairs tried incl BD880; gave them away - yuk).

Think clarity, detail and they hang w/ challenging audio.

I think only one time that I fouled up a mix because I forgot to go back to the mains and missed all the sub 80s. But that’s all headphones.

To anyone else reading, anything can work. Knowing your source and knowing your preferred targets what matters.
I always liked what the guys in The Cars said in the late 70s, to paraphrase, "No mix was final until we drove around with it in a few different cars. Our target was sounding good on car stereos."

Artists today mix for laptop speakers and $20 earbuds in many cases. Say its sad, and I agree, but they know where its going to get heard.

Sony MDR-7506 and corrective EQ. These correct really well and they translated perfectly to our tuned FOH system. I’ve had terrible results with my Sennheiser HD’s and took a gamble on the Sony’s. Whatever you end up using, EQ correction is a must.
I have used the 7605's for a long time. I have never done the EQ correction though. What are you doing for that? I have read up on it only a little.

I have used the 7605's for a long time. I have never done the EQ correction though. What are you doing for that? I have read up on it only a little.
Autoeq.app. Select those headphones and a curve, select 10 band EQ as the EQ app, and apply it to your global output EQ. Works great. I stuck with the 2018 Harman over ear curve and I know that’s not flat, but it totally worked in my case.

Harman:
1712495070984.png

Flat:
1712495093041.png

Autoeq.app. Select those headphones and a curve, select 10 band EQ as the EQ app, and apply it to your global output EQ. Works great. I stuck with the 2018 Harman over ear curve and I know that’s not flat, but it totally worked in my case.

Harman:
View attachment 138245

Flat:
View attachment 138246
Sweet, thanks. I did see on the frequency chart for the 7506's that the highs are up quite a bit.
I was looking to maybe try out the Audio Technica ATH-m50x. They seem flatter but less low end. I'll give some of this a try.
Thanks.

Sweet, thanks. I did see on the frequency chart for the 7506's that the highs are up quite a bit.
I was looking to maybe try out the Audio Technica ATH-m50x. They seem flatter but less low end. I'll give some of this a try.
Thanks.
Yeah, the Sonys are hyped in the high mids. But they correct closer to either curve than my other headphones. And they’re so comfy.

Headphones are not supposed to be flat. That's essentially why the Harman curves exist - they were based on a combination of measurements and trained listeners adjusting things until they sounded right.
Yeah, I get that, but there’s a lot of weight given to flat reference systems with regard to modeling gear. I was pointing out that this doesn’t need to be the case.

Back
Top Bottom