Sennheiser HD600 vs Beyerdynamic DT880 Pros for creating presets

Right now I'm using Beyerdynamic DT880s and they seem to have too much fizz when creating presets. Has anyone compared these to Sennheiser HD600s?

Yes, I have used both as well as several other Beyerdynamic headphones, all of which had a massively hyped high end. Prior to discovering Ollo Audio, the HD600 was my main headphone for several years. It's the best choice in its price range for this purpose IMO, if a little dark. Hifiman Sundara is also a good option in that price range. If you can budget a little more the Ollo S4X or S5X will be an upgrade.

Yes, I have used both as well as several other Beyerdynamic headphones, all of which had a massively hyped high end. Prior to discovering Ollo Audio, the HD600 was my main headphone for several years. It's the best choice in its price range for this purpose IMO, if a little dark. Hifiman Sundara is also a good option in that price range. If you can budget a little more the Ollo S4X or S5X will be an upgrade.
Exactly! It’s the hyped high end! I’ll check into Ollo.

I own both and the DT880 Pro's 250ohms, are extremely bright, and a very fast reacting headphone. The HD600 are a flatter standard amongst cans, probably a better choice for creating presets.

https://autoeq.app/, this is a great resource for finding EQing parameter, as well as the GitHub project, which name alludes me. It's crazy how much top end users cut with the Beyerdynamics.

Last edited:
I tried to work on the presets using Rode NTH-100 and I found them quite close to what I hear with Focal Alpha 65, which is quite a compliment imo. They have slightly rolled off top end which makes them gentle to ears, and full lows and middle for great guitar reproduction, and quite fast to give good details about delays and reverbs.

It’s also worth mentioning that EQ is not the only characteristic that matters for headphones. If it were, corrective EQ could transform $10 skull candy earbuds into top tier headphones. Clarity across the spectrum is key, low distortion even at higher volumes, etc. With a lot of cheaper headphones the low end is just a wall of mud. When you can hear the separation between the kick, synth bass, and bass guitar, you know you have a quality headphone. Besides my IEMs which were far more expensive, the Ollo units are the only headphones in this price range I've tried that were able to perform at this level, and I don't need to use corrective EQ because they are extremely flat out of the box.

Last edited:
I’ve been using AKG K702’s. They’re open back, slightly hyped high mids, wide stereo image. I love them for building presets.

I have the Ollo S5X and love them. They’re extremely flat, and they include the frequency-response charts for the matched pair in the box.

I believe that any company that is proud of their product will be open and honest about its response. If I can’t find it or have to search 3rd-party sites then I get suspicious.

A "meh" vote for the HD600s. They are good headphones for long listening sessions, but not flat IME. The highs are veiled to my ears and you may dial up more highs to compensate than you need. They are also a bit harder to drive. A classic for a reason but not my first choice for presets or mixing.

IMHO, all headphones require correction to be usable. I've come to the conclusion that it just isn't possible to hit a good target with a single driver.

I've been using Audio Technica R70x lately...I bought them because they were described as a warmer hd600 (which I find painfully bright, among other serious flaws). I really just wanted them for comfort. When I got them, I almost put them right back in the box and sent them back...they sounded like crap. But...the detail was there and the imaging (after HRTF cross-feed) was good enough, both for the price.

I ended up looking up measurements for them on squig.link and generating EQ bands that would correct them to Harman OE 2018. And, uh....yeah. They're hard to drive, and the correction I have applied requires about -12dB gain before the EQ (there are several 11-12 dB boosts involved in the correction)...which makes them even harder to drive (they're just barely loud enough with my headphone amp wide open - and I don't listen loud at all...nowhere near fatiguing...at least it can do that cleanly). But, they sound great now.

This experimentation has lead me to the belief that almost all headphone reviewers are full of **** and are either paid shills or have no idea what good sound is.

FWIW, I did try them with Sonarworks's generic correction profile for them too....and I've come to the conclusion that either Sonarworks doesn't know how to measure headphones or that their target curve is garbage. But, even the targets that I like for speakers didn't sound even close to right. Manual correction based on squig.link measurements is hands down better than Sonarworks IMHO.

ETA: I'm seriously thinking about investing in high-end headphones this year (minimum would be LCD-X), and frankly...I don't plan on even trying to listen to any of the options without manual correction based on published, independent measurements. The difference is that big.

If you think the 600s are painfully bright then we have different ears, which is often a reality person to person, or maybe you are driving them with something less common?

11-12 db boosts? That is huge. Anything that needs that much frankly makes me wonder if something is broken or strangely configured... again from a distance.

I own the current gen LCD-X and they are very close to what my ears hear as flat without any tweaking, which is nice. With a very small amount of EQ, no more than 1-2db on any band, I can get them to truly dead flat, again for my ears as a reference.

I don't have magic ears but one thing that the HD600's are not, is bright. If they were bright, I would have returned them the same day. I don't know if their highs are veiled either, maybe they are and that's why I can listen through them for hours and hours with no complaints? Maybe.

But the mixes I've done with them, seem they translate just fine to my monitors as well, so...maybe the Kali Audio LP6 V2's are on the dark side too? I don't know...

But then again, like I said, I don't have magic ears...

Last edited:
Having tried Audeze, Ollo, Sennheisers, Shures, AKGs, Grados, and a few others, many of which included frequency response charts, I reached the conclusion that this still comes down to a personal choice. I don’t know if it is fit against your head, or how your ear canal (mine are definitely strange) couples with a nearby driver, or what, but doing the A/B comparison against monitors that I trust ( that also have room correction) helped me settle on a couple of pairs that sound closest to the monitors. And it wasn’t the ones that had the flattest published response curves.

Take all of what I've said or am about to say or leave it - for me, these drastic corrections are what makes headphone usable.

I should preface all of this by saying that I've always kind of hated headphones. It's always been easier for me to get a sound I liked out of IEMs. All of the times when I've talked about being able to work on them, I say "headphones/IEMs" unless I just forget...and for me, I've always actually meant IEMs. I guess I just assumed there was something different about my ears that made IEMs work and Headphones not. After spending the last few months pouring over the research....I'm no longer convinced that's the case.

For whatever reason, it seems like it's easier for designers to get close to one of the good targets with IEMs than with headphones.

FWIW, I am running a correction for my IEMs of choice that was also generated the same way. Level-matched (as precisely as I can do) blind comparisons come out with me preferring the correction literally 100% of the time. It's not ambiguous which I think is better. But, the correction for my IEMs is much more mild...just a few bands and <3dB of change (most <1dB) except up at 17k (it's about a 6dB correction).

FWIW, IDK if I'd say I have "golden ears", but I can somehow still hear above 17k. I actually went to an audiologist+ENT last week for a follow-up from an ear infection a few weeks ago. The word "impeccable" came up.

If you think the 600s are painfully bright then we have different ears, which is often a reality person to person, or maybe you are driving them with something less common?

I honestly don't remember what I was using when I tried them last...I think that was while I had the RND headphone amp. But, yes, I returned them.

"Bright" is also just how I describe them in comparison. It's probably more accurate to say that they had no bass, and they end up painfully bright if you try to turn them up enough to hear any bass at all. All these EQ terms are relative. So, if you want to translate "painfully bright" to "no bass", it's at least as accurate.

11-12 db boosts? That is huge. Anything that needs that much frankly makes me wonder if something is broken or strangely configured... again from a distance.

Yeah, they are huge. I was honestly shocked when I saw the suggested corrections, especially because I did it after trying sonarworks's corrections that were more reasonable (topping out at 3 or 4 dB, IIRC). The fact remains that apart from the obvious binaural vs stereo differences, they sound more like speakers or IEMs with that correction than without it or with less correction, and Sonarworks's correction did so little that it wasn't worth using.

I like sonarworks with the measurement mic just fine* for speakers in a room as a finishing touch after treatment, but I think it's useless for headphones (I've also only tried the generic profiles and with 3-4 headphones, not a lot).

Note*: I wish you could limit the correction to only apply below about 300-500 Hz while using one of the well-established target curves instead of their "meh" default target. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to leave it behind and either do manual correction based on REW or buy a Trinnov this year some time.

I own the current gen LCD-X and they are very close to what my ears hear as flat without any tweaking, which is nice. With a very small amount of EQ, no more than 1-2db on any band, I can get them to truly dead flat, again for my ears as a reference.

A bunch of people have said that, but if you actually look at their measured response and compare it to either speakers measured by the same rig or any of the most strongly preferred targets derived from binaural measurements of speakers in a room (Harman OE 2018, tilted/shelved diffuse filed, etc.)...they're nowhere near right. I took it on faith that the drastic corrections were at least worth trying after reading quite a bit of Harman's published research. And, it was a night & day difference for me.

Here's one measurment ofthe LCD-X 2021 vegan pads (blue) vs Harman Over-Ear 2018 (dotted grey). I'm not sure which rig it was measured on, so I wouldn't take it as the "gospel truth", but most of the measurements of them that I've seen are at least similar.

1712242018594.png

I've demo'd Audeze cans in the past (can't remember which models, I think I paid around $1500ish for them several years ago) and they were nowhere near what I wanted to hear. What I remember isn't too far off from that graph. If you look at 4k, 10k, and 18k-ish those are all ~10-15 dB deviations.

Fortunately, there's hifi store not too far from me that has several high-end headphones available for demo. Some time soon, I'm going to go ahead and print my reference tracks through corrections for each model I want to try and go listen to them. I guess I might as well listen without correction as well, but...I don't have any expectations of liking any of them without correction.

But the mixes I've done with them, seem they translate just fine to my monitors as well, so...maybe the Kali Audio LP6 V2's are on the dark side too? I don't know...

I have no doubt that you (or almost anyone) can get used to them and put out mixes that translate - it's absolutely true that you have to know your monitoring more than your monitoring has to be perfect. A lot of people have been doing that for a long time. But....it seems like doing it that way is just making it harder on yourself.

I'm not sure I'd call Kalis dark based on the ones I've heard, but I'm not a fan. YMMV, obviously, and I haven't heard that specific model.

IMG_0536.jpeg

Ollo Audio S5X work superbly well for me.

These are +/- 2 dB flat from the factory, but you can acquire EQ corrections software from the factory. It’s specifically tailored for your specific headset in your hands (USC - unit specific correction), which takes it down to +/- 1 dB flat.

Flatness isn’t everything though. These drivers are crisp and tight across the entire frequency spectrum, even at volume.

Back
Top Bottom