Sennheiser G4 IEM - more gain with AFX3

FarleyUK

Inspired
Hi all,

I've got a single G4 IEM rack that I use with my band.

I just connected OUT 2 of my Fractal AXE FX3 to the inputs of the G4 via XLR to TRS cables. My patches for the guitar are a mix of clean to overdriven - but each of them also sound a lot more distorted, as though there's a very hot signal coming in. I've ensured the levels are set so there is no clipping.

I've set the output of the Axe FX 3 to be mic level - that's not helped. I've ensured the output volume is giving a healthy signal to the G4 without hitting the top of the meter on the front of the G4. Even if I lower this, the sound still has extra gain to it.

I have another output )OUT 1) of the Axe FX 3 outputting to my studio monitors in Stereo via XLR, and that sound has less gain that the IEMs, and sounds 'normal'.

I'm a bit at my wits end - anyone else experienced anything like this?

Currently -21dB; was previously -18dB.
yeah i run Out 1 fully turned up straight to my G4 IEM around -21 or so. no extra distortion or anything, no clipping on the meter of the G4.

can you try XLR to XLR cables as a test from Out 2? i doubt the TRS is doing anything but the G4 can take XLR cables so might as well try.

I've set the output of the Axe FX 3 to be mic level
What does that mean? There's no option to do that as far as I am aware... Output 1 and 2 are line level. Output 3 and 4 are designed for unity gain, which would still be higher than mic level as far as I'm aware.

With my IEM rig and presets leveled to the 9dB mark of the Leveling tool, I have the Axe Fx Output around 40% and Output 2 Mode to +4dB.

However, my setup feeds a digital mixer first...

What does that mean? There's no option to do that as far as I am aware... Output 1 and 2 are line level. Output 3 and 4 are designed for unity gain, which would still be higher than mic level as far as I'm aware.

With my IEM rig and presets leveled to the 9dB mark of the Leveling tool, I have the Axe Fx Output around 40% and Output 2 Mode to +4dB.

However, my setup feeds a digital mixer first...
I meant OUT2 is set to -10 instead of +4 for the output in the I/O Settings area.

Also - how are you supposed to update the firmware on these?? Tried Google, but no answers - just directs me to 'Control Cockpit', which seems to be for use for managing multiple units...?

This is driving me mad....!

Tested the following:

• Used OUT3 instead of OUT2 (tried TRS-TRS, TRS-XLR, TS-TS)
  • Tested the headphone out on the front of the IEM G4 unit

Still get the same issue. Very frustrating.

This is driving me mad....!

Tested the following:

• Used OUT3 instead of OUT2 (tried TRS-TRS, TRS-XLR, TS-TS)
  • Tested the headphone out on the front of the IEM G4 unit

Still get the same issue. Very frustrating.
Just a thought. You are comparing perceived gain from a studio monitor to your IEM. That perception can change when speakers are tucked in your ear.

Connect your IEM earpiece directly to the headphone out from the axe fx, leaving out the G4 unit entirely. My guess is you’ll still be hearing “more gain” than you thought you had.

Just a thought. You are comparing perceived gain from a studio monitor to your IEM. That perception can change when speakers are tucked in your ear.

Connect your IEM earpiece directly to the headphone out from the axe fx, leaving out the G4 unit entirely. My guess is you’ll still be hearing “more gain” than you thought you had.
Yeah, I suspect it's this; I noticed last night in rehearsals that the vocals seemed fine, it was just the guitars.

Is there anything that can be done to 'lower' the gain from the amps in the AFX3 to the IEMs...?

I have the signal going to OUT1 (FOH), and this will also be coming back to me via the mixer's AUX outputs. In rehearsals, I send the signal chain to OUT3 which goes direct to my G4 IEM unit, as I just need to hear guitar in it.

I’m leaning this way, considering the vocals sound fine and there’s no indication of overload on the G4. I feed my G4 through a paired (stereo) Aux send for a monitor mix, so I can control my guitar levels in my ears from an app. It works great, but there’s no denying that, for better or worse, IEMs make everything sound a bit different. I love them for singing, especially harmonies, but do miss the sound of the guitar in open air. Still a work in progress for me.

The quality of the IEM buds themselves, and the fit of the foam/silicone adapters make a huge difference, too. I’m using Westone UM3x buds with Comply Pro foam tips, and it’s the happiest I’ve been so far. The Sennheiser G4 system has been rock-solid. We’re using two in our rack.

Back
Top Bottom